Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

qirex posted:

exciting news

this stuff is actually cool. fiber optic hdmi cables put an optical transceiver in each end of the cable and use fiber in between. the prices have fallen ridiculously fast.

an 18 gbps hdmi cable w/ integrated fiber costs $149 on amazon

for perspective, ethernet transceivers to do the same thing are about $300 each, and they don't include the fiber in between

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

Why did Samsung stop making OLED TVs?

because it wasn't profitable

I hope people don't think QLED is OLED. Consumer confusion/idiocy is why plasmas no longer exist and I don't want the same fate for OLED :ohdear:

manufacturers had a really hard time producing plasma panels in large sizes and high resolutions. since it was already more expensive than regular old lcd TVs, it had to dominate in high-end markets to exist at all. and it couldn't compete on size.

so plasma died.

oled, as it happens, has trouble with size, brightness, and resolution. gee i wonder what will happen to this emerging technology that requires high margins to survive but doesn't adapt well to large panel sizes?

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

yeah panasonic plasmas are god-tier televisions

gonna check out their oleds, even if it's just an LG panel (maybe they'll fix the image processing speed issues or whatever)

sony makes an lg oled with an improved image processor, the a1e

they want a 100% markup over LG pricing for this

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

qirex posted:

samsung's "QLED" is a cynical attempt to create customer confusion and charge more for their middlin' edge lit lcd panels than actual oleds cost, in response samsung's high end marketshare is plummeting because hey making worse tvs and charging more for them isn't the best strategy

so what the gently caress is qled

i thought it was just a regular lcd, but using quantum dots for backlighting so that they were individually controllable. the ultimate FALD if you will

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

hobbesmaster posted:

fun fact: an Ethernet connection at a booth at CES costs $5k

it's a union gig, what did you expect?

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

hobbesmaster posted:

if it was the union that causes the high charges the power drop would be that expensive too

different unions

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

The_Franz posted:

yeah, i glanced over the president of toyota being named toyoda

looks fine to me. some of the finishes they offer aren't my taste, but idk who is going to pay $4k for speakers that look like they are meant to complement orange shag carpet since anyone with that kind of cash for speakers has probably updated their decor at some point during the last several decades

these speakers have very visible mounting holes for a front screen

you're not obliged to look at the drivers

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

power botton posted:

I dont have a car because I live in god's ideal environment: city which smells like pee

qft

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
san francisco's bike share program is ford-branded

i assume ford closes sales because once somebody climbs SF's hills on a bicycle they are suddenly much more amenable to car ownership

• Locked thread