Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Occurred to me to wonder:
Do all the hunters in the game share exit points?
I'm assuming so - which surprises me as throughout the Alpha I was never once ambushed en-route to exit.
The latest I ever had fights against players was during banishing - if I was the one killing the boss.

On the offense, I snuck more than my share of murders on players as they were in the act of picking up their bounty tokens (I love you, dynamite), but I almost always made a point of trying to steal the boss kill itself for that juicy reward, rather than letting them get the killing blow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

The key to armored zombos is not shotguns.
They actually have a resistance to shotty rending damage.
Shoot/stab them in the legs instead and they are way less of a hassle.
Shotties will kill them but its 2-3 shots wasted.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

I never tried using decoys, but the flares are handy for a lot of things:

They attract zombos
They attract players
They light red/yellow barrels on fire and make them explode after a few seconds
They blind the gently caress out of hunters
- This last one is extremely useful as a deterrent and, in dark areas/night maps, you can use it for concealment. If you're tricky about the placement you can more or less hide inside/behind the ludicrous glare of the things and really discourage hunters from taking otherwise handy routes (like if you are banishing and on the defensive)

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Grognan posted:

Yeah this is going to be a flame out, they already got the cash. There isn't any subscription.

Sorry, this isn't the Star Citizen thread!

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Reminds me of the time I knife and hammered my way through five hunters and the spider before eating a shotgun blast.
The proximity voice makes murder simulator so much sweeter. "Where is he oh FUCKHESHERE! - "

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

Yes if you have a powerful PC. Probably if you have a good one. No for anything less.

To put it in perspective:
I run on a 3(ish) year old PC with an i7, a 980ti and the game installed on ssd (for load times more than anything)
I can't run it at 4k, obviously, but at 2560x1440 it chugs along nicely at mid-high settings.

For whatever reason some folks have a lot of trouble running the game on beefier rigs, so there's some PC voodoo involved until they get it properly optimized. I'd say it's worth picking up - if it doesnt run for you? Refund it. If it does, awesome!

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

AirRaid posted:

I don’t know, I think a hidden timer might trigger when it’s just your team left? It’s happened to me a couple of times now.

e: also if people didn’t know, if you burn the corpse of a downed player, it will burn away their potential empty health bars until they can no longer be revived. And the corpse burns for ages so it makes it real hard for them to be revived.

Cremating downed players should be a standard practice for anyone that has lanterns or molotovs handy.
Waste of a molotov? Not if it means one less dude out for revenge!

My favourite kill on a team so far was the south entrance to Reynard boss room:

The boss area has this little mini-barn and loft leading into a big gate. Inside the mini-barn are some explosive barrels...
I ran into a pair of dudes escaping from the butcher at that entrance (playing solo) and my panicked reaction was to toss a dynamite stick at my feet before booking it... Well, I didn't realize it would also set off every explosive barrel within what feels like a kilometer, including the ones in the barn.
Came back to an artful arrangement of burning corpses after worrying that they had escaped and were hunting me around the compound.

As a side note: the loft above that entrance is an INCREDIBLY GOOD camping spot if you are being a hunter-hunter. The only way up there is a ladder, and you can peek down and out from the loft itself to eyeball any potential approach. That said it is a dead-end if someone decides to flush you out with explosives, so be ready to drop down and run (Running inside the boss-room is probably a safer bet in that case - so long as that gate is open!)

DarkDobe fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Mar 4, 2018

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Toalpaz posted:

Just started with this game, other than the monster load time and the looming possibility of disconnecting from their server it's very interesting and intense. It would be nice to know the exact benefits for trying to keep a hunter character around longer, if you end up going for the big prize there's a high chance of death. I got out of a match with two clues and nothing else for the first time, and got like... 4 levels? But what will it mean for my character really though? I've lost like 6-7 dooders already and they don't seem to matter too much.

The one big benefit to a successful bounty extraction is the Upgrade points that you get:
You only get these for escaping with a bounty token, and you can use them to buy more HP for your man - up to 150 total, including bars you have permanently lost prior - as well as unlocking more traits for them.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

Chatting can be seen in the same radius as your voice can be heard. So no, no team chat. Play with goons and chat in Discord where the enemy can't overhear your clever plan to throw explosives at them.

I find it to be entirely in the spirit of the game to announce your plans aloud. Even more fun to see if they believe you.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

Montoya and I never camp - if someone is doing the boss that is 100% the best chance you have to engage them. They are distracted, looking at a predictable thing/direction, and there's a ton of noise to cover your approach.

Run in, draw your shotgun / cavalry saber, and 9/10 times you can put them down before they realize what's happening.

Is Butcher still over-tuned and basically impossible to solo without cheesing the area gates?
In Alpha he went from being too fast to be just fast enough to punish fuckups - but the last I played he was impossible to out-run, making solo kills on his fat rear end pretty much undoable without cheesing a door-way, where you are entirely easy to ambush.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

So I don't know if any of you goons still play this but the game has gotten some recent and AWESOME updates.

For one: It runs way better now.
More guns and toys have been added - way more scoped weapons, the leveling system is improved and faster, you unlock more of the consumables sooner.
Bear traps are now available alongside lanterns in-game as a deployable. Excellent against Butcher, and against sneaky assholes (plant them inside/outside windows for the most fun)

They have massively improved the whole banishing/boss looting aspect of things.
For one: Starting a banish immediately heals the party involved to full hp, including 'missing' (not burned) hp bars.
Once the banish is done, picking up the bounty tokens gives you 15 seconds of enhanced Dark Sight. Enhanced how? You can see enemy hunters through walls within about 150 yards. The effect is kind of sporadic and jittery - you can see the general area they are in, and their aura bounces around a lot so its really only good for getting an approximate sense of their whereabouts - not quite precise enough to let you say, shoot through walls at them - but more than enough to know where they are waiting to ambush.
This ability only works for 15 seconds total time (in darksight) so it pays to use sparingly and coordinate with your team-mate.
If you murder a bounty carrier and pick up his token, you get the ability as well.
I've also noticed that they have dampened the sounds of gunfire and fighting inside boss-locations, especially the subterranean ones. Where before someone engaging a boss would have been heard for miles, as long as you are inside/under ground, the sound of your fighting won't carry as far.

All in all there's significant improvements to things and I highly suggest y'all dive in again to give things a spin.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Jack B Nimble posted:

A friend I just bought it under the steam sale and as someone just coming in off the street I'd say the game is optimized fine and, at least on a Friday, had short queue times indistinguishable from any popular game. So yeah if you played it in the past maybe things improved quite a bit?

Very much an improvement.
Ques slow down a little at the odd hours (early morning for whatever region) but performance is improved.
On my 1070 laptop it runs buttery at maximum settings across the board.
My old 980 desktop purrs along on low well enough.

If you're taking framerate hits: Turn off motion blur and DoF (which are both dumb) and especially Antialiasing - low or off. There's plenty of detail and foliage to the point AA really isn't that noticeable and has a big performance impact for machines that can't quite run things.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

My suggestions so far:
- Always pick Random Contract
- Double bounties are easier (players split up)
- Night time is easier (lower vis lets you be stupider)
- Going loud can be a deterrent. People will hide from you, and if you are bungling around like a lunatic, most of the time their first shot at you will miss! Be obnoxious.
- On a team, having one loud and one quiet person can exploit this further. Loud guy is quiet guy's decoy.
- Shotguns are amazing. Double barrel is all you need. Pair with a machete or a silenced revolver to taste.
- Stam injector + Sabre is still loving gross. Shotguns cure the problem (don't miss!).
- Butcher is crazy easy with shotties and beartraps.
- Spider is not very dangerous but tedious to kill. Set it on fire! Concertina is also good.
- You can safely run and stab an UNALERTED hive. Don't miss her face. If you miss you'll take about 30 damage. If you get her in the head its about 5 damage and poison. This can be way better than sneaking all the way to her.
- Always melee Armored in the legs. 1 or 2 hits to the legs and they're crippled. Same goes for shooting. Shotguns are BAD against Armored! Yes they knockdown but damage is poor. Better off meleeing.
- Once you are at boss zone, it can pay to leave monsters alive as an early warning. Especially hives - they are loud and obnoxious so people alert or kill them. Zombies are your friends.
- Put beartraps everywhere (but don't forget about them).
- You can loot killed hunters! I believe it just restocks your supplies (e.g. consumables) - I dont think you can steal from them.

DarkDobe fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jun 24, 2018

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Orv posted:

The newspaper clippings in the various in-game lore stuff seem to indicate hell has sort of taken over, at least down in Louisiana, but they've spoken before about other locations, in one of the very first streams they mentioned wanting to do something Himalayan and something desert.

Zombie infested Himalayan temples and monasteries sounds loving awesome to me!

Not that a good old desert is a bad idea- or why not take it straight to somewhere iconic like egypt where the mummies have come to life? It sounds corny but there's some great potential there too.
I expect that had in mind something more barren and undeveloped, though.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Quicksilver6 posted:

I kind of wish the map was less a big square that you all encircle and more a windy trail with several paths, nooks and crannies you had to choose from. Insert from one end of the map and try to hunt the boss, or just make a sprint through the map to grind, or find a good spot near the exits to wait. The openness of the bayou is nice, but I would like to go off the beaten path a little more.

I think they could - and should - do far more to encourage some off-the-trail exploration by adding more potential spawns for the clues, ones that are not directly inside the various compounds and POI's
They have already come a long way in adding several potential locations for each clue to appear - but having some that are out in the middle of nowhere (and subsequently surrounded by zombies) would make things more interesting, too.

I would also love to see something like a roaming mob of zombie enemies that 'patrols' around the map - clusters of 10 or more enemies that shamble around and are preferably attracted to the sounds of gunfire and player activity: an added pressure, and something that can take people by surprise, especially folks that are dicking around outside a boss battle waiting to clean up.

In keeping with the idea touted before: agitate the enemies once the bosses are engaged, and even more so while banished. Raise their alert levels, spawn new enemies where players aren't located, attract them towards the banishment - heck, add some more enemies around the extraction points, too. 'Replenish' the map, as such, to make it more dangerous for everyone once the final phase starts.

Another huge step would be to have an outdoor boss - something like the ghost witch from that Gilded Age trailer would be amazing: A flying enemy that moves around significantly while being engaged - and isn't necessarily tethered to a single location.

I can only expect they are adding more in these respects, though, and have plenty of entertainment to chew through in the meantime.

DarkDobe fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Aug 19, 2018

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Basticle posted:

and thus the first practical use of a throwing knife was born

They are also good at pissing off hives and making them come after you!

And once - ONCE - I've killed a player when I was stalking the above hive, rounded a corner, and came up behind another man creeping past her. Knife to the back of the skull surprise!

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Knifegrab posted:

I think with the changes to shotguns I prefer the Romero talon now

I think I am swinging towards this direction myself.

That fuzzy line between 2-shotting and almost-killing dudes has grown a bit uncomfortable, and having the extra choke on the longer barreled shotties sorta makes up for what the hand cannons are missing now.

Sure you can erase a dude up close, but at that range you might as well be meleeing (yea I'm exaggerating a bit).

I've also had a good deal more laggy nonsense leading to things like shooting 'through' enemies point blank, or melee hit-registration being delayed enough that two people can regularly melee one another, or you can melee a guy, get shot by him, then both die. It's a good quarter-second of lag between where the kill happens and it actually going through - ample time for someone to end you.

The same has been happening with zombies lately, too - where you slap em in the face with your machete... and they get a swing through before their head suddenly explodes. Frustrating.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Mister Avtovat killed one guy the entire game. :allears:

Was his name 'Death'?
'cause I ran into him twice last night - both times shot in the back with an Avtomat while sprinting around on my Tier Zero (not saying I didn't deserve it - but it's twice in one night dying to the same dude with the same gun, and before that I've seen an Avtomat used exactly once).

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

A word of warning if you haven't already discovered this for yourself:

Tossing Dynamite into concertina or a destructible lantern will explode it instantly.
This can yield a very quick and surprising self-murder.
It will also count as a team kill if your buddy placed said concertina, for example.

I've also noticed that sometimes hitting a boss with an explosive (dynamite and frag bomb) will set them off instantly rather than waiting for the fuse.
Not sure if this is intended? It might make killing bosses with the bigger bundles more viable at least.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

Sometimes this game throws you three rounds where you get wasted and frustrated to the point where you stop playing. Then you rampage through three rounds solo and rack up money no problem.

The cure to frustration is playing chain pistol swat team. My 80 dollar cowboy vs your 700 dollar loadout. I have nothing* to lose.

Also bee jars. Always bee jars. They are my favourite thing. The word of our lord and savior Beesus must be spread.

Makes me want to rig up a Wickerman soundboard to play when I get wasped on.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Basticle posted:

Protip: if you can't figure out which of your friends is always triggering dogs and birds, its you

Uh, you're supposed to scare the birdies away - it ain't safe in these parts!

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

https://www.huntshowdown.com/news/going-solo-hunt-debuts-first-live-event

Event details are up!

Solo only, 1 bounty, most bounty extractions at the end of the week get prizes (top 50 and up)

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

Sneakfest 2018

I think you mean shotgun hobofest. While y'all are sneaking I'll be at the boss murdering him already.
(then I will die horribly trying to extract of course)

Something tells me extraction camping will be a viable strategy.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

How long before people figure out you can try timing your queue to end up together in these 'solo' games...

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

I upgraded from a 980 to a 1080TI - and the differences are obviously staggering.

980 ran at 2560x1450 on low settings with everything tanked pretty decently - 40-60 fps in general. One could probably get a good deal more performance by lowering the resolution a bit - but I wasn't really fond of the way that looked on my big monitor.

1080TI runs at the same resolution with everything cranked at a buttery 60 (vsync). I could probably bump it to 4k and tweak some values to make it run as nicely. It's not even stressing the card at those levels.

I don't think the game is as abusive on the CPU end as some (Monster Hunter World is a good example of CPU intensive game).

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

A man and I faced off at about 20 yards.
I fumbled my melee and pulled out my flaregun...
He ran at me with a hatchet.
I popped the flare into his mouth and whipped out my sword!
Then.. I fumble and light attack him, pissing him off while sidestepping (and probably making him miss his melee swing)
So I turned around and did it again.
Felt like a matador taunting a flaming bull.

Of course, Nvidia doesn't record Borderless (by default - fixed now) so I don't have a clip.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

I just wanted to say that I love this game even when it makes me mad.
Like when I magdump my Avtomat into a dude's back from 15 meters and Miss. Every. Shot.
Or when me with my 77 full length shotgun blasts a dude in the face from mid range, barely tickling him - then gets oneshotted by his handcannon.
Inconsistent behavior is about the only thing that makes me ornery. Getting killed when I deserve it? Well and good. Dying to what -feels- like bs? Not as common but it's getting better.

Collateral Damage

DarkDobe fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Sep 4, 2018

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Basticle posted:

The upshot to all of this is that 99% of the time I end up taking a rifle and leaving the shotgun to my partner.

I guess I never thought about it but does this game have per-pellet damage?

I would assume so? Then again ive never tried shooting a wall to see what's hitting or if they went with a 'damage cone' effect for falloff and hit registration.

If they are doing pellets and doing so 'traditionally' - ie a random scatter - it could explain why sometimes you tickle people and sometimes railgun them.

I'm going to experiment. A lot of games overlook that shotguns by design dont scatter entirely randomly but rather fire a predicable 'random-ish' spread within a pretty defined area. Ideal loads saturate a surface area evenly and don't bunch up or leave big gaps or 'donut' shapes. Getting a consistent saturation over an area at a given distance is pretty crucial. That takes a little more work to program correctly and isn't usually default scatter behavior in games.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

So: I've gone and fired a sawn off at a wall and the results are quickly apparent:

https://gfycat.com/gifs/detail/DimwittedWhoppingBelugawhale
(This was brightened/contrast tweaked in Vegas - my game doesn't look like this)

As suspected, they're just using a random-scatter shotgun effect that in no way appears to weight distribution, or even try for an 'even' spread.
This would ENTIRELY explain why you sometimes do gently caress all to an enemy you have 'in your crosshairs' as it is entirely possible for most if not all of the pellets to scatter into one area where they do not hit your target.

If you watch the gif (click through for a bigger version) the last shot especially has an AWFUL spread.

This is the kind of thing that COULD be addressed, but likely would have to be pushed up to the dev's notice - which I'm going to try and do.
While this is a game, they're trying to make something realistic - and real shotguns are intended to saturate their target 'evenly' not rely on random scattered sometimes-useless spray.

There's a pretty nerdy writeup about it here:

http://www.randywakeman.com/Shotgun%20Shells_and_Shotgun_Chokes_like_Laurel_and_%20Hardy.htm

But the gist of it is that in a properly loaded weapon (which - here I see an argument that these hunters are using garbage shells in garbage guns) 70% of pellets fall into a predictable 'circular' pattern very consistently.

DarkDobe fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Sep 5, 2018

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Basticle posted:

:stare: explains so much

You might be amused to know that Fortnite - wherein shotguns have long been a staple weapon above all others in close quarters - 'solved' this inconsistency issue by doing away with random scatter entirely.
Shotguns simply fire in a fixed pattern - which guarantees results IF YOUR AIM IS GOOD - and none of that 'well you just got unlucky' aspect.

If your crosshairs are on target, it is strictly a matter of distance vs damage - not distance x damage x random spread chance.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Basticle posted:

I mean thats pretty common.

A lot of vidjer games just use the random-scatter approach, though they also tend to be the single player non-competitive variety.

When you get players shooting each other, though, this kind of inconsistency gets VERY frustrating (both being shot and shooting things) - so I'm surprised that crytek is going with a random distribution approach (only acknowledging that it is the easiest to implement).

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

I kind of see the randomness as a balancing factor for just how good shotguns are, and as added risk/reward. You take that shot now, probably picking up the kill, or do you hold fire and close a little bit more?

Shotguns are just so loving good at knife fighting range that I have a hard time getting salty about it- but I don't use the sawn-off double barreled anymore because it is just too random. I swear it is worse than the 6 dollar handcannon.

That's sort of the issue though.
Shotties SHOULD be good at close range, and the closer you are the better.

Having it be a dice-roll on if it just erases a guy or tickles him at those mid-ranges is the problem, especially so where it's two shotgunners duking it out.
Inconsistent behavior doesn't feel good in a game like this, and shotguns are by far the most inconsistent - the sawn offs worst of all.

I don't think it would hurt to be able to say 'at X distance I will (if my aim is good) do X damage' - rather than 'at X distance I MIGHT do damage, or do nothing, or MAYBE kill him'

DarkDobe fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Sep 5, 2018

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Knifegrab posted:

Performance patch incoming:

https://old.reddit.com/r/HuntShowdown/comments/9djs2o/patch_24_performance_patch_test_server/

Hopefully this will help players on lower end machines.

Also they are permanently adding solo mode, how disappointing.

Where are they saying they're adding perma solo mode? Cause that sucks nutsacks. It is my fervent hope that I can still solo que into duo games because that is what I love most. If it's forced solo-only, gently caress.
Solo has become a boring rear end campfest of 'who goes first' bullshit.
The answer is me. I go first and murder that boss and then every one of you assholes but it's always going to be a shitfest and actually surviving a boss kill and banish while 9 solos try to rob you is stupid. It becomes far more viable to camp like the others, or ambush at extracts.

DarkDobe fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Sep 6, 2018

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Glenn Quebec posted:

A lot of hand wringing over solo mode which seems like not a big deal at all.

Splitting the player base is a pretty legit concern? But hopefully it's all for naught. They DO need to market the hell out of this title, though.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Glenn Quebec posted:

That's cool don't play it but I'm very surprised by people. Pages of how this is an awesome game of ambushing people and now it's bad? Let's not pretend camping isn't a huge part of this game.

It really isn't to the extent that it has become almost mandatory in solo-only.
If you've played more than a few rounds of that, there's no way you can say that the players there don't behave differently than in a normal queue.
Nobody wants to be the one engaging the boss. Nobody wants to start any engagements - even if they have an advantage - for fear of being ambushed by third (and more) parties.
It's static and boring and tedious compared to the other mode, alleviated only in part by having dual-boss maps, and even there - especially if it is spider - nobody wants to try downing the thing first.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Glenn Quebec posted:

Can't say I've experienced that. Going solo in a duo match would have people running away to their partners if they got wounded. In solo, that isn't an option.

Duos are more likely to push engagements and fight bosses, too. There's that safety in numbers: one can fight the boss, the other can play lookout.
In solos you can't do that, putting you at a horrible disadvantage if you engage the boss unless you are either super early (spawned in the right compound) or you know the area is clear - i.e. you've camped long enough to convince yourself you're alone, but even then... why not wait another few minutes?

I know this is all a matter of taste but I love playing solo in duo-games because people behave differently enough that you can play it against them.
Everyone is paranoid about that team-mate that doesn't exist. Decoys (especially blank fires) can be devastating.
It's definitely more punishing but the payoff bamboozling organized pairs and murdering them is all the sweeter.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Basticle posted:

the other night I got killed by a crossbow from 6 meters by a guy I never saw or heard and by the time my partner came over he disapeared into the night. god I love this game.

I did that once to a man that was setting up to ambush the extract team.
Crawled under the house where he was lurking, said 'Pppssst!' On voice - and pinned him to the wall when he spun around.
(I then proceeded to die to the extracting pair.)

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

You mean taking an automosin, a precision dolch, 2 big bundles and whatever else suits my fancy is -overkill-?

... Usually I take a Nitro instead :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

They've done a piss poor job marketing the game so far and it shows - hopefully they manage to pick things up once EA draws towards a close, if not sooner.