Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Zaodai posted:

Completely unrelated to the above, but a friendly reminder that gmail allows you to append stuff with a plus sign to your email address and have it come to the same address, and many signup systems see those as different addresses, so you could do "myaddress+1@gmail.com" and it would come to your myaddress@gmail.com account. :pseudo:

Adding periods in places before @gmail.com works on a lot of sites, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

Loading a map is only 50% successful based on what Orv and I experienced last night.

We also "owned the newbs" as the kids are saying these days.

I wasn't having any issues loading in last night but I had to run solo since no one else in the Discord wanted to play. I managed to be the first person to find the Butcher three times and killed him twice but I didn't make it out with the bounty either time. First was because of a hunter and the second time was because I stepped in some fire that was still on the floor after the Butcher died. I couldn't put it out in time. :(

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

I gotta kid kudos to the kid who spent 10 minutes methodically shooting and kiting the butcher to where he could not path. He was really persistent and brave to try that solo. Too bad about that trap door in the roof he didn't know was there. :murder:

I love that fuckin trap door and a lot of people don't seem to know about it.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

I used this tactic yesterday. If you get a stick of dynamite anywhere NEAR somebody - they are dead.

Yeah, this isn't true anymore. Just today I've hit 3 people with dynamite without killing them.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Sard posted:

The answer is a knife. A knife solves this dilemma.

Knives are for suckers.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Why would I take a knife when I can punch everything to death except the boss and meatheads?

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Don't forget the guy at Scupper Lake.

We were in a shootout with someone hiding in the attic of one of the submerged houses and while Tinfoil managed to hit him a couple of times, none of my shots were connecting even when he was standing perfectly still. We were in the open with some bushes as cover and I had to reload so I turned and ran to some hard cover. When I came back, he had crawled out of the house and was in the water where I saw him get shot in the back and downed by another player. I never saw the other player.

We spent about 15 minutes slowly circling around the east and north sides of the lake until we were sure he wasn't in the woods nearby and found a spot with a good line of sight on the entire lake. Tinfoil posted up and I ran out into the water towards the building with the boss to draw him out of hiding. He, pretty predictably, ran out to shoot who he thought was a solo player in the back, only to have Tinfoil shooting him from behind. Tinfoil hit him a couple of times but didn't down him and he must've realized that we were a team that just set him up because he ran off and we never saw him again. In the meantime, I had killed the boss, who hadn't even been shot prior, and was banishing by the time Tinfoil returned from trying to chase him down.

Regrettable fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Feb 15, 2018

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

They're having a lot of issues with this patch but are trying to get a patch out tomorrow to fix them. There's a memory leak, sometimes it crashes when you use Dark Sight, and sometimes it crashes when you fight a zombie, to name a few. I lost 5 or 6 hunters in a row to crashes.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Pirate Radar posted:

How’s the performance been for you guys? I have a 1070 and one of the newer Intel chips, but it’s an alpha...

I have 6600k @ 4.6GHz and a 1070 and get 45-60fps on high settings most of the time.

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

Just don't trust Dungeons when he claims he killed a man. That man may in fact still be very much alive and surprise you like Swamp Thing.

Hey, we got into a shootout with 3 people at once earlier and he killed the last 2 and revived me so he's good in my book.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Pirate Radar posted:

I tried last night (my time) and couldn’t get into a game, but I’ll give it another shot in a few minutes. Just going to go get a cup of coffee.

They're having to reset the servers everyday right now, sometimes multiple times, because they'll start having problems with invites and matchmaking after several hours. Sometimes you get lucky and they work perfectly and sometimes you don't.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Not really. It takes awhile to load though and will go through several different screens while loading.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Pirate Radar posted:

How long is a while? Trying to figure out if I should cut my losses at some point, leave the lobby and re-queue for a game. I’ve been on that match found loading map screen for ten minutes now, for instance.

Yeah, that's way too long. It takes usually takes about 2 minutes once it's found a match. Finding a match usually takes from a few seconds to a minute but sometimes it can take longer.

e: What CPU are you using? We've had a few people in the Discord who can take several minutes to load in after the match has started and I think that might be the main factor.

Regrettable fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Feb 19, 2018

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Pirate Radar posted:

i5-8400. I cut my losses after a while and tried again but still couldn’t get into a game. I can reliably get to that map loading screen but no further.

The base frequency on that is only 2.8Ghz and this game seems to really want higher CPU clock speeds. It might not be initiating the Turbo Boost for some reason.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Welp, it looks like a lot of people are getting stuck at match loading so I may have been wrong. The suggested course of action is to try the EU servers.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

I did and I managed to hit one twice and the other once but I didn't down them. We could hear them there shooting sporadically for about ten minutes and when we finally went over they were upstairs peaking through boards in the walls. I knew one of them moved out of the barn to flank us because I kept shooting them through the walls but I couldn't find him in all the brush.. They were the last team on the server aside from us. :(

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Orv posted:

Double bounty mode is neat, though we had to go looking for PvP as everyone was being babies, the newly dangerous mobs killed everyone, or disconnects are still frequent enough to put us in fairly empty games.

Dungeons and I have mostly had the opposite experience running the Gauntlet. Almost everyone seemed to be looking for a fight.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

The solo was probably just being opportunistic and trying to take advantage of the fight to get some kills. Dungeons and I had that happen the other day while we were fighting a team.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Feral Integral posted:

Played a couple games and really having some trouble orienting myself. seems like the first clue nearby is going to have generally noone and then by the second checkpoint you'll start seeing the fast guys and ambush them there? I get the not making noise factor, but getting to the juicy bits faster im still trying to figure out. Tell us more about stealth runs, stealth guys

This really depends on whether other people are going straight to the first clue or are out kill other hunters and their knowledge of the spawn points. Most spawn points have others very nearby but the clues are usually set up to draw you away from each other a little. Once you know where they are you can pretty easily surprise and kill other hunters before they even make it to the first one.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

w00tmonger posted:

Sorry, I meant shared between all players. Does each team have a unique set of 3?

They used to but I believe they made it so some teams can share some clues recently. It doesn't matter much since you have multiple clues at the same time, so if you don't want to engage you can wander to another part of the map to find a different one.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

keyframe posted:

Oh man the suppressed pistol is so good. Destroyed a team at the boss by shooting them from upstairs through a plank gap on the floor. They had no idea what was hitting them.

Even better is that you don't need to look for gaps if you can hear where they are and there's only wood between you and them. Shooting people through walls and floorboards never gets old.

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

Hmmm, Montoya and I tested this back in closed alpha - perhaps they updated it? He definitely scored a barrel kill but we didn't get credit.

They put out a patch about a week ago so you get credit for exploding and fire barrels.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

keyframe posted:

Is Sparks good? Is it a OHK on bodyshots on tier 1 hunters?

Yes, it's good and will one shot anyone with 100 health or less. If you're worried about it only being able to hold a single shot at a time I would suggest the Caldwell Uppercut. It's a six shot revolver that does the same damage as the Sparks but the range is about half what the Sparks gets.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

I believe the post above is true, fatal with all weapons for all health levels. BUT headshots aren't easy to pull off in this game with down-sights aiming only. (If they ever add scopes, this may need to be looked at)

I'd recommend aiming for center mass unless the hunter is standing still - an opportunity you can make with careful and quiet stalking. Even if you're 1 on 2, if you line up a good headshot on one of the hunters, you level the playing field, plus now you have an objective (teammate revival) the enemy will attempt.

They're planning on adding scopes in their first major patch according to the roadmap.

https://www.huntshowdown.com/roadmap

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

On the one hand, sparks with a scope, on the other hand we're all going to get railed in the head more often.

A lot of people are going to be rushing to get to the towers at Blanchett and Healing Waters once those are in the game for sure.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Untrustable posted:

Gonna drop the fun level severely if someone can hole up and glass me from half the map away.

You can already do this it just takes a bit more skill. Both Montoya and I have hit people at Alice Farms and Port Reeker from the tower at Blanchett with the Sparks.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Studio posted:

On the sniping note, is there bullet drop? I think there's travel time.

No, there is not.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

It's pretty severe. Shooting people a little outside of a guns range will do much less damage but if they're far outside of it they'll just start bleeding.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Studio posted:

How do Ts of mooks differ? I watched a stream, and I saw that T2s had better guns and abilities, but do they get anything else (Is there HP higher but represented with the same bars? Faster? etc.)

HP can be higher when you buy them but the max is always 150. They can sometimes have gear or weapons that aren't available in the store and their outfits are generally much better for camouflage.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

They also tend to look a lot cooler imo, especially Tier 3s.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

keyframe posted:

My new fav thing to do is to shoot crows far away with suppressed pistol and flank the dudes investigating it. :getin:

This is pretty sneaky. I like it.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

They posted an announcement in the official Discord yesterday saying that there was a bug that caused many people's rank to reset when they restarted the servers. Maybe it has something to do with that?

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

AirRaid posted:

I don’t know, I think a hidden timer might trigger when it’s just your team left? It’s happened to me a couple of times now.

e: also if people didn’t know, if you burn the corpse of a downed player, it will burn away their potential empty health bars until they can no longer be revived. And the corpse burns for ages so it makes it real hard for them to be revived.

It makes it impossible for them to be revived because the other player will catch fire if they try and holding F will just put the fire that's on them out. Also, I'm pretty sure the timer not showing up is a bug. I had it happen to me a few times in the alpha, sometimes after people left with the bounty.

Regrettable fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Mar 4, 2018

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Amante posted:

Got a few days of solo play in and I'm getting decent, even if I fail more often than I succeed. I'm getting used to making a decent amount of exp/cash safely in case I die or don't get the bounty (which I have yet to only once so far). Hives and normal zombies are plentiful and not hard to melee down, and I've been able to farm them a good deal without alerting other people by feeling out the flow of the match and hanging out on the back lines. Can't be TOO behind or people will kill the boss before I've even gotten the second clue, though...

Off the top of my head, a few questions:
1> OP wasn't kidding about the armored zombies. Mostly avoid them, but when I want/need to kill one, does it even have a "head" to aim for? It's taken a minimum of three shotgun blasts to down each time, sometimes more.
2> Is the silenced pistol as awesome as it looks? Only gotten to try it a bit since my bloodline isn't that high yet. Seems good for quietish farming of hives and some PvP wetwork.
3> There's random ambient audio that sounds like someone briefly sprinting over wood, right? I thought it was players at first but I've heard it multiple times when creeping around and it always seems to have the same cadence.

1. The best thing to do against armors is aim for the legs first. Two swings will break their leg armor which will cause them to move much more slowly, to the point that they're basically no longer a threat.
2. Yes
3. Not really sure what sound you're talking about here, but maybe it's an non player enemy?

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

I *think* there might be one NE of Mill + Lumber at the road leading north, but I'm not very confident on that one.

There is. That's the spawn where the first clue is at the Mill.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

deported to Canada posted:

You forgot:

I don't just want it dead, I want it dead so, so much: Crown & King Auto 5

This is the best gun in the game imo or it was during the alpha at least. I'm still not sure when I'm going to be able to buy this and jump back in with you guys but I hope it's soon.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Carecat posted:

I got set on fire again right as I put out burning and it bugged out so the only way I could stop it was with a vitality shot.

Did you try jumping in some water?

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

a mysterious cloak posted:

That looks like the best extraction to me!

I've been following the thread, game looks cool but I'm waiting to see how it goes.

The game is good and there's going to be a performance patch coming out this week so it should hopefully run better on weaker PCs. I'm just incredibly broke right now after helping out some family members so it's going to take me longer than I originally thought to buy it.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

No, but you can mute that channel if you want.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

he1ixx posted:

Is it 10 people or 10 teams? I thought I heard of people getting 16 kills during a round which would only work if it was 10 teams but that may have changed as the source was pretty old and a lot has happened since then.

Do people prefer playing at night or during the day? I did a day mission and it seemed tense but a nighttime mission would be really creepy.

It's always been 5 teams and any solo player counts as a team. You can have 5-10 players per game depending on how many solos there are.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Knifegrab posted:

Been trying the free weekend and I am enjoying it but good god is this games UI/menu system bad and man is there no tutorial and holy gently caress am I confused. Some questions:

-Are the weapons hitscan or projectile (i.e. do I have to lead my shots at range)?
-What the heck is dark vision? I realize that it shows the location of hints, and it also seems to show lightning over enemies who have collected a bounty? Why?
-How does the whole bounty system even work? I have found a boss monster but never killed it, but when other people do there is a slow progression in the top left of the screen as they are "banishing"... what?
-When should I extract? Currently I never have because I die. I am not sure when I should lick my wounds and just get out of dodge...

I really like the atmosphere and more methodical gameplay and am looking forward to the free weekend :)

edit: I checked the OP and second post and couldn't find this info there but maybe i missed it?

Bogart answered most of these so I'll just answer the first one: you do have to lead your shots if someone is sprinting or is very far off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Switch weapons.