Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Oh man, this game is great. Played it solo a couple times last night and had a good enough time, but tonight I got my brother to install and that went pretty drat well. Slaughtered a pair who'd just killed the Spider, then entrapped the surrounding area with lanterns as the banishing went on. Managed to kill an attacking duo despite both of us going down at separate points, still not great at the actual shooting, haha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Ended breaking my "gently caress early access" rule and bought this game after being peer pressured by friends I introduced it to during the free weekend. And also because I like it a lot. Looking at the roadmap, my one cause for concern is that they're planning on introducing a crafting system. Is there any info on this yet?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Me and my buddy had been doing pretty well, and finally managed a Gauntlet run, thanks in part to a bunch of other hunters killing one another. That bumped me up into tier 2 and it's been a bunch of games of sudden, instant death. Guess we actually have to get good now. :(

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
34, yeah. My friend's still in the 20s which might prove something of a problem for him when it comes to gear.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
This game would be mostly forgettable if it was just another 4-player, coop monstersmash, imo.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Glenn Quebec posted:

The only reason it's not forgettable at all is it's atmosphere. It's totally forgettable as a battle royale too.

It's not a Battle Royale.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Knifegrab posted:

It's nothing like a battle Royale. If battle Royale has become synonymous with multiplayer that has more than two team sure but that is not what battle Royale is. Battle Royale is about a last team standing ideology but in this game you can extract whenever you want. In most games two to three teams can and will successfully exit the map. In theory you could have all teams exit the map. Not to mention the fact that this has heavy PvE elements, something most BR's are completely missing.

There is also no shrinking map, other than the monster fights which direct the confrontations but do not force them.

Calling this a BR game completely misses the point, diminishes, and honestly does a disservice to adequately describing this unique and rather awesome game.
My thoughts exactly. And everyone claiming this game's atmosphere is its only selling point ignores the fact that said atmosphere is all in service towards its tense, paranoid gameplay.

Mordja fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Aug 19, 2018

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

FutureCop posted:

I'm really interested in this game, particularly the country/occult aesthetic its got going for it, but I do need to echo the recent discussion: how bad and punishing can the game get at times?

1) Assuming the worst case where you keep getting sniped and losing cash/hunters: is it even possible to dig yourself out of that hole, or is it a never-ending 'rich-get-richer, poor-get-poorer' situation? And even if you can dig yourself out, is it fun and challenging to do so, or is it an annoying grind?

2) On the more subtle side of things: what about respawning into a new game from death? Is it fairly quick and painless to get back to playing after dying or are there long load times/matchmaking and prep work each time, adding insult to injury?

For your first question, as long as you stick to cheaper hunters/items when you're learning the game, you should be fine for money. I'm level 37 or something and despite going on a losing streak after hitting genpop T2/3 I still have over 9K in cash and cheapo dudes can often be bought and equipped for as little as $100. From what I understand, money was a bigger problem in earlier versions, but now you start with 3000 in the bank and every few levels give you an extra 1000.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I don't think I've ever taken a hit from a Meathead, or even its leeches.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I'm pretty sure all games (outside of, like, hero shooters or whatever) just make the actual hitboxes identical between genders.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

cool cool

can other nearby hunters see when i type to chat with my duo partner or is that only limited to the mics?
They can definitely see.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Pretty sure I hit a dude three times at close range with a Spectre last night and he still ran up and sabred me in the face. :(

Must have just winged him.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Knifegrab posted:

Man the nagant officer carbine sucks, I really don't get it. Though I did kill an avtomat jerk with it...

Isn't it functionally just a faster firing, 7-shot Winfield? I thought that was the idea.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
God willing, this game eventually gets big enough that they put in a proper matchmaking system.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Haven't actually run into the Avtomat too much yet but yeah, having the automatic weapon also be a two-hit gun is pretty ridiculous. Dolch has been my bane though, again, it has so many other benefits to it as well as being ridiculously damaging. Can't say the Fanning Chainpistol is too bad though, since you can't ADS while fanning meaning it's always inaccurate as hell, each bullet is weak, and it takes a year to reload. Plus, of course, it requires a pricey perk.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Skyarb posted:

Fanning chain pistols is hilarious. I don't think its broken because of how innacurate it is. At the range it becomes useful a shotgun probably would have done a better job. Though this is all based on videos I have watched.

gently caress it I'll buy this weird game.
Yeah, go for it. I played during the free weekend and that was enough to make my break my "NEVER BUY EARLY ACCESS" policy, something I've stuck to since DayZ. Fair warning, hitting tier-2 and getting dumped into genpop is like a brick wall though. And despite what that one dude said, development has been pretty brisk and seems to be following the roadmap.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Capn Beeb posted:

Shotguns can have chokes in the barrels to get tighter spreads. You're just choking the gun manually! :haw:

Only if they animate your dude cupping his hand around the barrel.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Does the C&K do any less or any more damage than other shotguns? In most games the semi-autos do less damage per shot than their counterparts to balance out its firerate. In fact, that's honestly my main problem with the weapon balance, the expensive guns that are easier to use also drop people in a couple shots.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Gonna get a lot more after the Uppercut gets poo poo on I guess.

Oh, they've walked some of the ammo stuff back.

And also:
Crown & King increased recoil drastically

Romero 77 increased recoil

Romero Hatchet increased recoil

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Cool, you can loot player weapons next patch, guess I am only ever bringing a Winfield from now on.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Basticle posted:

1) Make it so you can only buy Tier 1 hunters and as they level up then they slowly become Tier 2 and 3 in terms of clothing (I really really like this idea)

I've wanted this for a while because, among other things, it's dumb that you only get 100XP for killing a T1 Hunter with a bunch of top-tier perks and firearms.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Hopefully they add TOD to it later on.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Honestly, I've rarely encountered Avtomats too, but it's not much fun when I do.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Canada.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Not for nothing, but the framerate seems a lot smoother too. Though far from perfect, I haven't had any fights where it felt like I lost because the game clunked up.

Instead I've lost them because I am terrible. :v:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
It *seemed* better on the bayou too.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Skyarb posted:

It bums me out how unpopular this thread is because I have been having an absolutely blast playing since the update. Game is great and I wish it was more well known.
It's definitely my favourite, current multiplayer shooter, and the update's really solidified that fact. I really hope this game takes off in a big way.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Varkas posted:

This is also my favorite FPS game right now. New patch is fantastic.

And while this thread may not be all that active, matchmaking times have been really good as of late in the game.

Also, The roadmap is looking very promising. I'm glad to see a shooting range and full tutorial in the works. Not sure how I feel about crafting though...

From what little information I've scrounged up, the crafting is pretty much for weapon variants, e.g. making a Romero into a Romero Talon. Still, I'm with you.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Had my best game the other day on Lawson. We both went in with trash free guys, both have Officer carbines. Hear some shooting ahead of us, murder the duo camping in a house and take some of their stuff. Meanwhile, the bounty gets slain so we roll up just as it finishes and I put my fancy new Spectre to use. Naturally that means that the last surviving team assaults our building and kills my partner, but they got too close...Seven kills total, all told, because I ended killing the same guy twice.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I don't think anyone plays it, I only queued for it twice and it took five minutes each time.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Hunt Five-O is out.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
New roadmap's up, looks like we'll be getting a new boss in a month.
https://www.huntshowdown.com/roadmap

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

Haven't played in a long while but I hear shotguns are stupid powerful right now and everyone is quitting.

I don't think this nebulous launching of the game is a good thing. I don't even know what phase Hunt is in right now, is it EA? Is it beta? Is it out? I think that a firm launch date with the associated marketing has been a successful thing in the gaming industry and elsewhere, I'm not sure why you would want to steer away from that formula.
Numbers are around the same as ever. :shrug:

And the game's still in EA; they were originally going to announce their 1.0 plans alongside this roadmap but now they're planning to do it next version.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
More people play Hunt than play (either) Insurgency tho...

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Was grinding out a weekly and managed to get three or four separate matches where I went in with free, absolute dreck (they seem to mostly give out stubby Romeros these days, a WinfieldC is a blessing) and single-handedly took out duos and stole their expensive stuff, two of which included their bounty.

Game is good.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Basticle posted:

Sadly they almost always don't even react, just a passive face, they don't get mad, they don't say "ah gg he got me good" they just immediately move on to the next match in their late stage capitalism hell lives as a streamer.
Why would you expect them to react, everyone knows twitch streamers don't have souls.[/quote]

Basticle posted:

I think the game in it's current state is incredible and near- perfect in regards to game play and combat. What needs a complete overhaul is how you level up. Xp for killing hunters is currently 100% based on Hunter tier rather than player skill or Hunter level, or bloodline, when it needs to be a combination of all of f the above. And better yet make it so you can only hire tier 1s and they automatically upgrade tiers as the hunter levels up.
Honestly I'd be happy with just some sort of calculation based on their equipment, because it's pretty dumb getting 100XP from a T1 with a C&K+Stocked Dolch combo.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Legendary Hunters/Weapons are on the roadmap for 1.0 and I assume those will be cosmetic variants.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Get a look at tweedledum and tweedledee over there

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Basticle posted:

Am I reading this right that the weapon unlocks you're talking about are just cosmetic skins? You just said you dont care about them so who gives a poo poo if they're "a huge loving chore" ?

He's talking about two seperate things. Gun skins are unlocked through prestiging or earning/buying premium currency, but actual weapon variants are unlocked through use. So the way I understand it, you'll unlock a regular Sparks LLR at, say, rank 15 or whatever, and if you want to unlock the Silenced/Scoped variants you'll have to get x number of kills with it first. How much of a chore this is definitely depends on the value of x, I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
If it's around 5 to 15 kills then eh, if it's 50 then pffffffffffff.

Though I think I've mostly been using non-variant guns anyways.