Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

A lot of players are against it for the same reason they're against the DSB and basically anything that makes the game more accessible for casual players: because they are dicks.

They also see the game as a "Trap the other players" kind of game, where their goal isn't to take objectives, but to be the last man/team standing at the end. Giving an end of game kill cam means that they're hiding spots (and they probably reuse the same ones) are revealed and eventually negates what they see as map mastery of the game.

I'm not saying their right, but you see that kinds of belief in almost any competitive shooter - I think the PvE aspect exacerbates it, because it means if you aren't playing with that mentality then they have a significant bonus once they've learned how to take their positions without generating any noise, and they don't want other people knowing how to do it because it mitigates that advantage. Since they see this as a game about trying to one-up the other players and win via deathmatch, rather than game about trying to kill monsters, get bounty, and get out without dying (win via objectives and escape, I guess) it means more to them that the places they go to ambush from aren't generally known. It's a terrible mentality to have going into this game, but it's one many people who've played competitive shooters are going to have, especially those coming from other games with Hardcore modes (1 death/match, dying relatively easily, etc.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

caedwalla posted:

I played with pubs for several levels early on and had a good experience saying "hey what do you think about going here?" I haven't done pub duos recently but overall it seemed like most people used voicechat and understood that going full hogs-out Rambo style wasn't a winning strategy.

I want a danged postmatch killcam. If nothing else it'd make it easier to figure out what I did wrong when I die unexpectedly. Don't display it until your duo is out to avoid an in match advantage but drat.

Also if your partner is downed and set on fire how do you get them up? It seems like I'd have to jump into the flames for even a chance at it.

you can often get above the fire (hop onto barrels, etc) but yeah, if someone threw a lamp and their in the middle you're getting fire damage yourself. Salveskin has its uses.

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

Roumba posted:

A buddy of mine and myself both get similar graphical stuttering in pretty much every match. Even on the lowest settings, he gets it worse than me and his PC is far better than mine. Is there a list of easy fixes to try? He 100% won't buy it if he can't fix this and I pretty much feel the same.

e: Does queuing for a random teammate also put you into games with pre-made duos?

lower the shaders and anti-aaliasing. Verify your installations as well. You can also lower the resolution, I have to play at 1200 to get a decent framerate.

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003
had a game today where me and a random (both rank 12) downed spider in a two-boss map, and could hear some other guys killing the stuff above us so we set up an ambush. I threw a molotov at them as they opened the door, shotgunned the one that came in and closed the door on the one that backed out. He opened the door a second later and threw a grenade right into my head. It hits the floor and goes off, killing all of us. I found the whole thing funny as hell, and I still got the bucks and points for tracking/finding/killing/banishing spider.

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

a mysterious cloak posted:

My nightly round was going great - killed some monsters, got 2 of 3 clues, found the lair first, and caught two other hunters shooting at each other and finished off the survivor. Once the map narrowed down to the spider's location I decided with low health I'd sneak out and extract with my winnings, as I likely wouldn't survive even a grazing shot from anyone/anything.

Cue two hellhounds that managed to see me sneaking through the brush from (what I thought was) a safe distance. :downsgun:

I was having a pretty ok game with a rando - got all three clues without either of us firing a shot or losing health, making good time towards the location, everything going great, turn a corner into 5 of those fuckers. We got lair credit, but heard shots approaching from the distance and booked it because dogs gently caress you up.

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

Knifegrab posted:

So with the burn changes, how do I make someone unrevivable? Do I just have to burn them twice? Can I blow them up or shoot their downed body?

"Changes to Burning
Holding “F” to stop burning will pause the burning process during the duration of the action (releasing the key will cause the effect to continue)
Standing in fire while holding “F” will not pause the process and you will continue to lose health chunks from burning
The fire effect will only remain visible on a downed hunter while their health chunks are burning away (no fire on a body means the hunter is fully dead and cannot be revived)
Downed hunters health chunks will now burn at a slower rate, giving the teammate more time to revive them
Hunters now need to walk a few meters in the water before the splashes will put out the fire.

Changes to Bleeding
Holding “F” to stop bleeding will now pause the bleed-out process during the duration of the action
Slightly reduced the distance at which shotguns apply a bleed effect"

it's not a huge change. Burning a body still puts them on a timer, it just gives the partner enough time to outlast the fire spread by whatever you threw on the body so they don't have to find some weird way to get in and put their partner out. They still have to put them out, which means they have to expose themselves to you, or wait for their partner to die. You both also know when the partner is dead-dead now (because the fire will go out, and not before). Fires do not put themselves out, it's not a big dramatic change, it isn't going to change what burning a body does. It just extends the timer.

The bleed change is really nice, bandaging yourself is never just a wasted effort now and it should help keep you from losing an extra chunk when you get hit by a hatchet zombie. I don't know if I like it coupled with the shotgun changes, though.

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003
Hunt is doing twitch drops for the next week. https://www.huntshowdown.com/twitchdrops to link twitch/game accounts and get the list of streamers.

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

Orv posted:

The Discord listed in the OP is run by a dude who got banned for being a transphobe and hanging out with Nazis so probably don't. We should probably remake the thread honestly but :effort:

The official discord is decent for finding players. Most of the streamers who had Drops enabled (the crytek partners) also have lfg parts on their discords, so you can look through those if you did the drops and followed any of them.

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

Elendil004 posted:

Has anyone figured out or datamined or is it even just out there how matchmaking works? Kind of tired of Prestiege 100, 6+ KDR edgelords 360 noscoping me with a pax at 50 yards through a fence.

There is no level or prestige consideration in matchmaking, it's pure MMR based. This really sucks when you start, because it gives itself your first 20 levels to determine your MMR. Whenever you prestige it treats it as a soft MMR reset - you lose a huge chunk of MMR and then start over - it has to do this because it tries to keep the level <10s together (the levels where you don't lose anything on death).

That said, MMR is great with a huge statistical database, but hunt peaks at between 10-14k players at any one time, spread across 5 different regions, along with a PC/Console split. That means they also have to use huge MMR bands to make matches (which is why matches that take longer than 20% of the bar will seem like an abnormally large skill difference - it's literally opening up its MMR bands to fill out a map). Finally they've never said how they handle teams, so it may just take the highest MMR in your team and throw you into that band for matchmaking - so pairing with someone who is really good will mean you are paired against better players than you would be otherwise.

EDIT - They do try to match level <10's together. That does seem to mean (and this is from personal experience, not anything officially stated) that teaming with a level <10 means you'll be paired against other level <10's, but they literally don't care about prestige in these pairings - so those could all be brand new players, or they could be fresh prestige 100+ who know every in and out of the game (which is an awful way to introduce the game to new players).

TheAnomaly fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Aug 22, 2020

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Ran into a prestige level 100 person, with 3,041 hours in the game. It's a good game but Jesus how do you play that much of it?

A lot of the 2k+ hour players are streamers - there's a subset of streamers that make 1.5k+ per month just playing hunt. It's popular enough to support a smallish group of them, so that's what they do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

Varkas posted:

New patch is live. The choke bomb is now a tool slot instead of a consumable (so actually worth bringing in with you), and they added a few medium sized Winfield variants: https://steamcommunity.com/games/594650/announcements/detail/2843415083698811466

Worth noting these are the Winfield C's, so you can use Levering with them. You're giving up bullet velocity and a small amount of effective range for the size change.