Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deported to Canada
Jun 1, 2006

Yeah it sucks I signed up with a couple of emails and was poo poo out of luck. Devs aren't saying how long its on for which is a shame, I'm bound to miss it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deported to Canada
Jun 1, 2006

Orv posted:

The official Discord turned into a massive shitshow today with people screaming at the devs about not getting keys. We could make a Discord of our own but that might be better served waiting until the EA launch.

I was there, it wasn't too bad but the community managers didn't help themselves with some of the things they came out with. I can understand them saying "don't pm/dm us asking for a key because we wont give you one" as that makes sense, but hinting that you would be put on a blacklist for doing it and that they had keys that they could give to people that are nice to them just made all the bootlickers come out and stroke their egos.

Plus nobody likes being told to go and watch streamers cause they have extra keys to give away. It's just dumb. People there already wanted the game they don't need to go watch some fan boy talking about it to make them want it more. It's not marketing if the customers already have their wallets out.

But I didn't get in and I'm sad in case you hadn't noticed.

deported to Canada
Jun 1, 2006

Orv posted:

don't visit official forumsdiscords.

Wisdom

deported to Canada
Jun 1, 2006

Second wave of keys have just gone out.

I didn't get one again.

My balls, they're so blue. If anyone has a spare I would love it like a brother.

deported to Canada
Jun 1, 2006

Still no keys you mean. Are they sending out like 5 a day?

deported to Canada
Jun 1, 2006

I don't know anybody who signed up that has got a key. Even their discord is full of "anyone here get on this time? no me neither". I get the feeling this is all just hype.

deported to Canada
Jun 1, 2006

More keys just went out about an hour ago. Not sure when the next wave is, I got one which surprised me.

deported to Canada
Jun 1, 2006

Untrustable posted:

I feel like they're real scarce with the keys right now.

I'll second that, I signed up at the same time as about 14 friends on discord and so far I'm the only one who has got a key and I only got it tonight. Which may explain why matchmaking takes so long, and to think I moaned about Tarkov.

Also add that Alpha signups end Friday 1500 CET so if you have any friends that haven't signed up and may want to they need to do it quickly.

deported to Canada fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Feb 9, 2018

deported to Canada
Jun 1, 2006

My commiserations go to the two brave hunters who thought they could take the bounty and then proceed to run around the centre of the map in an attempt to lure fellow hunters to their quite obvious trap. After 10 minutes of uneventful behaviour from all concerned, they decided to extract to their eastern point and sit patiently by a boat for 10 seconds.

Ozone and I were in the bushes with dynamite. We had been waiting.

deported to Canada
Jun 1, 2006

Dungeons&DragQueens has sorted out the Discord (OP) to give hunters their safe space, post in #roll-requests for hunter chat permissions. Come join us!

deported to Canada
Jun 1, 2006

Montoya here:

The server bug isn't so bad once you get the hang of it. Once you join and click play with or without a partner, you get the matchmaking screen. It should show with map on the left with a greyish screen on the right.

Once a 'Match has been found' it shows the map, and the grey screen turns black.*

Then the screen goes black.

The after 30 secs in shows you some weapons with a loading screen.

Then the screens goes black.

Then it shows you "Waiting for players" with a black screen.

Then you load in but cant move, you can look around but not check your inventory.

It then says "Ready"

*If the screen doesn't turn black here after a few seconds, you have the bug and should restart. Everything else is just Alpha crap unfortunately.

deported to Canada
Jun 1, 2006

Reading through some of the chatter in discord last night, I think the biggest skill to learn for new players in the audio queues. There were some who simply didn't know what hit them or from where (it's not hackers, at least not yet). As a hunter, my main objective is hunting other hunters and every time I hear them before I see them. Here's a quick break down on some audio queues:

A murder of crows:

It's best to avoid these entirely. Once triggered they will squawk and fly away. These are some of the best clues to follow when looking for other players as they can only be triggered by hunters. The audio clue can be enough to locate but they can also be seen flying away over the trees at a fair distance. I always move towards the sound of birds.

You can get past them by crouching and keeping a distance of about 10m. If you trigger them, run and relocate ASAP, however make sure you don't just wildly panic and run at more audio triggers.

Dogs in cages/Chicken coops:

Like the crows, its best keeping a distance from these as once triggered they will go batshit for a few minutes and can only be triggered by hunters. They can be shot/set on fire to shut them up however making noise to stop noise is counter intuitive. If you see the kennel/cage (they look similar) just skirt round them, keep a distance of about 20m from these while crouched, they seem to see you better than the birds.

Horses:

These are noisy bastards and will continue to make noise while you are in their vicinity. They look like a sleeping (possibly dead) horse as you approach, although you will hear a breathing noise to signify its alive as you get close.

If triggered you can take them out with melee, but their noise travels. Overall best avoided by about 20m while crouched. Again, can only be triggered by hunters.

Doors/Gates:

Fairly straight forward, doors and their hinges make noise. When left open they can also let hunters know that someone has been in that area. Barricaded doors can be opened by hitting them with melee/explosives which also make noise.

Jump over gates instead of opening them, some doors will need to be opened to access areas but barricaded doors always have a way round (look for ladders, holes in walls, gaps under buildings).

Glass/Tin cans/Chains/Puddles of water:

At first glance these just look like inert parts of the map, however you should always be conscious of what you are walking over. These all make unique noise that varies depending on factors such as running, walking or crouching. For example running over broken glass is LOUD but crouching as you walk over makes significantly less noise. Again running through water makes more noise than creeping through it.

Sometimes these triggers can't be effectively avoided, especially around built up areas. You can always limit the noise you make by how you approach and traverse them. Be aware that these CAN be triggered by infected, so the noise you hear may be a walker crossing glass/hitting chains.

Wood (Floor boards):

Walking over wood increases the noise of your footsteps. You can hear hunters inside buildings creeping around from outside, even when crouching.

This is difficult to mitigate as throughout a game you are going to have to cross wood at some point. Just be aware that you are making more noise than you think you are/can hear yourself. Which means you are louder than you can hear. The best way to explain this is when you have a partner, if you are both crouching and walking through the forest you will hear your partner making more noise than you. You may think you are being quiet, but they hear you making that same amount of noise. In other words, sometimes you think you are creeping silently and you really aren't.

Water (in general):

Crossing water is noisy, it can also be slow depending on the depth of the water. Sitting by water you will be able to hear a gentle flow/swish of the water around you. This can sound like someone in the water but I guess its just the wind. Infected in the water also make noise as they pass though it.

Water noise takes a little bit of getting used to. The sound of an infected walking in water is different to the sound of a player. Unfortunately its a little difficult to describe but its is essentially down to the persons stride and the noise that makes. You will learn the difference in time.

Extraction points:

If more than once team is close to the extraction points then the boats/horse will start making noise. The boat engine will turn on and start pumping out black smoke or the horses pulling the carriage will start going nuts. This means someone else is extracting/camping.

Gunfire:

For me, the only acceptable time to shoot is at other players or the boss monster. For everything else if you can't kill it with melee, then avoid it. If you trigger it, run like a bitch. Once you have the bounty then feel free to light everything up as you are glowing like a Christmas tree anyway.

If you hear people shooting, go get em girls. Scratch their eyes out.

I think this is most of them, if I can think of any more I'll add to it. Hopefully this helps some of you.

Edit* Also hunters don't cough, only the infected make that noise.

deported to Canada fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Feb 23, 2018

deported to Canada
Jun 1, 2006

I can't play daytime anymore; I just feel too exposed.

I may need therapy.

deported to Canada
Jun 1, 2006

The caretaker still swings by to feed them daily. He's probably one of those weird types who retired years ago but still shows up out of routine.

He's probably the same fucker who keeps feeding the birds.

deported to Canada fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Feb 23, 2018

deported to Canada
Jun 1, 2006

keyframe posted:

I would also love to have throwable items that aggro zombies so you can sneak up on hunters and throw lures in their area which draw all the zombies to them. One of my most memorable gaming moments was doing that in Dayz to a squad looting the city from a roof, threw a flare at them and watched them get murdered by zombies. It was evil and fun. :v:

Good news.

They are in the game. Flares (Fusees) and decoys, which is a bag of litter that you throw to attract zombies

deported to Canada
Jun 1, 2006

Some of the negative Steam reviews are hilarious. It's full of people saying "I lost my character with no warning" despite the Devs posting when server resets happen with ample time to extract. Or it's people saying I got the game with borderline minimum specs and I can't get 90fps like *other game that's been released for years*.

And then there's the people saying "I'm getting killed out of nowhere without seeing anybody, hackers?" :rolleyes:

If you don't think it will run on your rig, it probably won't. At least not yet. And if you think it's hackers killing you, then you need to take a long hard look at yourself.

deported to Canada
Jun 1, 2006

AirRaid posted:

Earlier, the servers went down with only a tweet to warn of it, 15 mins before. You could easily be in a match for 15 mins and not even be looking at twitter, and then boom, gone.

It is early access tho, so, :jerkbag:

Join their discord mate, they post everything in the announcements there.

deported to Canada
Jun 1, 2006

Not always, head shot yes, Tier 1 hunter with 100 health yes, 150 health very very nearly.

deported to Canada
Jun 1, 2006

Yeah headshots are fatal for all players with all weapons.

deported to Canada
Jun 1, 2006

Can confirm. Sparks is your best friend to go out drinking with if dynamite isn't available.

deported to Canada
Jun 1, 2006

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

Montoya proceeds to Rambo the last three dudes while taunting them in local chat in his incredible British accent. We skip to the exits with the bounty.

"Av that Dickhead!!!"

deported to Canada
Jun 1, 2006

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

Most I've seen are default 125 - but Montoya said he had one starting at 100. The best thing about them is that they can bring some fun goodies you don't have access to yet - like the Caldwell uppercut.

Also they look so much better than Tier 1, with better camo.

Yeah some dudes come with 100hp but then have other goodies like the above to make up for it. Those with 150hp seem to have lovely lower end weapons and stuff like torches/flares.

deported to Canada
Jun 1, 2006

Regrettable posted:

It's pretty severe. Shooting people a little outside of a guns range will do much less damage but if they're far outside of it they'll just start bleeding.

Shotguns get especially wank after certain ranges with the Sawn off Romero 77 earning a special mention.

deported to Canada
Jun 1, 2006

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

I call this short comic based from real events: "The futility of life."

This is a piece of art. Poor dude had nowhere to go.

Still can't understand how they didn't hear the window break. Although it does give me flashbacks to childhood and my Mum shouting "Why cant you use the door like a normal person!".

deported to Canada fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Feb 28, 2018

deported to Canada
Jun 1, 2006

Awwww that's a shame about the MSpaint.

The dude opening the door looked a little like this:

Tinfoils sabre kill like this:

With me looking on at the end.

deported to Canada
Jun 1, 2006

While I'll agree that this game is a little tough for new players, it isn't so much about the weapons that the player has access to. Also the tier of hunters is mostly irrelevant, all hunters can get 150hp and therefore able to tank the same amount of damage. For me the traits are a little more important with things like quartermaster allowing you to take two main weapons and pack mule allowing one extra consumerable (read dynamite). But all tier hunters can equip the same traits providing you have unlocked them.

Which is probably your real issue.

It's easy to get into a failure cascade in this game and I think it's fair to say that it has happened to us all. We buy hunter, lose hunter 3 or 4 times and find that we are now skint and not banking any bloodline xp. It's tough but you need to break the cycle. I guess whatever you are doing right now isn't working very well. Also you can't simply rely on unlocking the Sparks and going on to win, they cost 249 dollarydoos and that's a lot of money to lose on top of your hunter.

My advice on how to play the game (ymmv):

1. Read the advice about noise in the OP if you haven't already

2. Learn the areas of the map that people spawn. There is always at least one near you no matter where you spawn on the map.

3. At the start of the game, head straight to your nearest spawn point and kill the fuckers.

4. Listen for the noise of the other teams. Build a mental map of where the people are, their direction of travel, and if you can cut them off and kill them, do it. Keep count of all players dead (that you kill or find)

5. Don't simply wait/rely on getting to the boss and camping/killing everyone there, hunt them down in the wild and hit them when they don't expect it.

6. Engagement range. If you have the jump on other hunters make the most of it. Too many people try to snipe with the Winchester. I know a head shot will kill, but if you attack within the weapons effective range you are going to get more kills.

7. If you keep getting hit by people you don't see, you are making too much noise, taking bad route selections (crossing open water etc) or are being too predictable in general.

8. Be aggressive. You can sneak, you can hide, you can sit in a corner and cry. But winners aren't afraid of a fight. Create you own opportunities and then capitalize on them.

deported to Canada
Jun 1, 2006

Toalpaz posted:

Right well I'm probably super duper bad at the game cause I'm 3/19 at the moment. I don't think it's like I'm not trying though, I almost never shoot before engaging. I don't stomp around crows and dogs. I probably do need to learn the map better, because I've been ambushed on stairs before and I'm assuming there are some natural choke points.

Being ambushed on stairs will most likely be a noise complaint.

Assuming they were on the stairs, they most likely heard you approaching. Every time you move you generate noise and if they were inside the building then....

Personally I'm a big fan of snap ambushes, where you stop and watch the route you have just taken to see if someone is following you. Also when getting near a building I like to stop and listen to see if anyone is inside creeping about before I get close enough for them to hear me. A person in a building crouch walking will make enough noise for you to hear them outside, providing you don't start splashing around like Jemima Puddle Duck and give yourself away.

If you find yourself in a similar situation then you really have two choices, to sit and wait and hope they didn't hear you, so that they leave the building and you can get the jump, or you move in fast and hard with dynamite leading the charge. I'd say about 80% or players are inherent cowards in this game, they will most likely choose to camp and hope you creep into the building with them sat with a shotgun in a corner, say above some stairs.

In truth it all comes down to situational awareness

deported to Canada
Jun 1, 2006

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

If you are actually being very quiet, it may be because a couple of assholes who know the spawn points (like Montoya and I) are stomping over to where you started and are seeking you out from there.

If you are dying less than 5 minutes into the game then this will be your cause of death.

Also, if you are the type of person who spawns and runs straight at the closest zombie and melees them or decides to stand on a few birds; that poo poo makes noise, we are already looking for you and you are nothing more than stat padding to us.

deported to Canada
Jun 1, 2006

Commoners posted:

Just don't be afraid to disengage and vanish into the swamp if the fight doesn't go your way

I've tried googling this but I still don't understand. Best I can guess is that it has something to do with not killing people but that's where I lose it.

deported to Canada
Jun 1, 2006

Studio posted:

As far as I can tell, the point of the pump is for comfortably killing bosses without stressing over constant reloads. Why do that when you can kill Butcher in 40 seconds with Double Barrels though.

Yeah double barrels are definitely the way to go. The pump is crap for killing the bosses. With the DB you can make the spider run away or the butcher go down on one knee, with the pump they seem to keep coming at you. I guess it's all about the stopping power.

deported to Canada
Jun 1, 2006

I'm glad two boss missions are back. Time to run the gauntlet.

Just as a warning to others, I've had the worst luck with crashes these past couple of days. It seems to be when using the steam overlay to take screenshots or chat to people. So don't do that peeps.

deported to Canada
Jun 1, 2006

That would have been beautiful too. We heard the dude outside and Tinfoil said "I'll stab him when he gets to the top of the ladder", then as he came up he looked straight at me, lifted his weapon to shoot and STABBY STABBY from behind.

deported to Canada
Jun 1, 2006

The Mosin is worth every drat penny.

deported to Canada
Jun 1, 2006

You forgot:

I don't just want it dead, I want it dead so, so much: Crown & King Auto 5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deported to Canada
Jun 1, 2006

I think the Sabre is more stabberery (I think that's a real word) in that you lunge slightly and have more reach, the machete is more hack up close. I'm pretty sure the Machete one shots but haven't tested it in a while.