Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Hello friend,

I saw the three most well known cities (Venice, Florence, Rome) last fall. I did something like 4-3-4 days, connecting between by high speed rail. They are definitely all worth visiting but I would say the following:

Venice - three days is probably fine. This was my favorite city. I went on a "free" (donation) tour by a local and thought it was great. Also the area in the center (away from the canals) is very peaceful early in the day.

Florence - I think a couple days is fine for here. Uffizi and Academie (where the David is) are super busy but definitely worth visiting, as is the Duomo. Check out the Michaelangelo Piazza for sure, which requires walking up a LOT of steps (or talking a bus) but gives great views of the city and the Arno. I would recommend getting up early for most of this stuff as the Duomo is just a shitshow of tourism during most of the day. But it's an incredible building to see.

Rome - I would do four days again. Just a ton to see. Besides the stuff everyone knows and the Vatican museums, the neighborhood south of the Vatican (Trastavere) is really cool. The metro mostly sucks (since they can't really build underground in most of the city for obvious reasons) but is good for getting to the Spanish Steps and the Vatican.

Also Rome is quite a bit hotter than Northern Italy - I was there in October and it was in the 70s and had a shitton of tourists. I would say a better time to visit Italy would be in the winter.

Buy tickets for everything in advance!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread