Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Strauss sounds magical to work with. Please tell me there's an entire mission where you're accompanying him.

Also, did the poor dorks in Viper Squad get splattered by scripted deaths or do they actually have health and/or armor and a chance to die sooner or later or perhaps not at all?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

PurpleXVI posted:

Strauss sounds magical to work with. Please tell me there's an entire mission where you're accompanying him. (1)

Also, did the poor dorks in Viper Squad get splattered by scripted deaths or do they actually have health and/or armor and a chance to die sooner or later or perhaps not at all? (2)

1) Yes
2) None of these deaths were scripted. I somehow managed to get them all through it alive last time

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Alexeythegreat posted:

Oddly enough, I think I have a better (and a kind of fresher) example of this "you had to be there": the first Far Cry. Its graphics were beyond anything seen by that point... then half a year later HL2 comes out and everything in Far Cry suddenly looks like a Ken doll. Now it looks like poo poo
I've got probably the most absurd one, from way way back when: the 1992 Comanche. We genuinely thought those voxels were the future and that is how you do realistic landscaping.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Jan 6, 2018

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school

anilEhilated posted:

I've got probably the most absurd one, from way way back when: the 1992 Comanche. We genuinely thought those voxels were the future and that is how you do realistic landscaping.

Well, we did get Minecraft. Voxels were kind of the future.

Also, to be directly on-topic: I've been enjoying the videos so far! You're hitting a good balance of "there's stuff here worth seeing" and "you probably shouldn't actually be wasting your time with it", and so far at least the enemies being bullet sponges and on-screen deaths is making the "jump scares" at least a little tense! (We'll see how long it takes for "Will that enemy decide to actually die before making an attack?" to get old for the viewer as well as the player, but for now it's an extra bit of fun, at least.)

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

So, for your brief scientific interlude, did I miss something or does that door/walkway exist solely to let you kill yourself on that electrified railing? Seems like a complete dick move when a core part of most FPS games is/was to reward the player for doing little observational/exploration/jumping puzzles built into the level geometry.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Crazy Achmed posted:

So, for your brief scientific interlude, did I miss something or does that door/walkway exist solely to let you kill yourself on that electrified railing? Seems like a complete dick move when a core part of most FPS games is/was to reward the player for doing little observational/exploration/jumping puzzles built into the level geometry.

It exists for no reason other than letting the player kill themselves

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

PurpleXVI posted:

Strauss sounds magical to work with. Please tell me there's an entire mission where you're accompanying him.
Oh we'll be hearing more of Peter Stormare alright.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Fish Noise posted:

Oh we'll be hearing more of Peter Stormare alright.

Oh man, I thought that sounded like him. I just didn't expect there to be actual (more or less) famous actors voicing anyone in this cast of random soldiers.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.
Aside from the Captain, all of Rhino Squad are such dicks. Mostly cheerful dicks, but dicks nevertheless. Strauss is the gloomy, hard-drinking dick, but he's definitely a dick.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Peter Stormaire sounds drunk as gently caress, which totally fits his character fine.

auzdark
Aug 29, 2005

Mercy is the cry of the soul that stirred,
Mercy is the cry and it's never heard.
Man, I remember buying this when it came out and playing it through exactly once - the only part I remember is the stroggification and how railroaded the game felt like it was...

I also remember being confused and wondering why these games went kinda generic after the awesome strange horror atmosphere of the original Quake...

White Coke
May 29, 2015

auzdark posted:

I also remember being confused and wondering why these games went kinda generic after the awesome strange horror atmosphere of the original Quake...

Space Marine fighting evil cyborgs wasn't exactly original even in the 90's.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

White Coke posted:

I think they were referring to the transition from Quake to Quake 2, which, according to Wikipedia, only happened because what became Quake 2 was originally supposed to be called something else and launch a new IP but every name they kept going with was copy written so with release looming they called it Quake 2.

I think one of the lovely things about Quake 4 is it doesn't have a good soundtrack, like everything else it is just a generic "modern FPS heroic" soundtrack which just sucks compared to what the previous entries had.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Aces High posted:

I think they were referring to the transition from Quake to Quake 2, which, according to Wikipedia, only happened because what became Quake 2 was originally supposed to be called something else and launch a new IP but every name they kept going with was copy written so with release looming they called it Quake 2.

I think one of the lovely things about Quake 4 is it doesn't have a good soundtrack, like everything else it is just a generic "modern FPS heroic" soundtrack which just sucks compared to what the previous entries had.

Quake 4's everything is the definition of "generic 2000's shooter." The graphics are good enough for the time, the animation is good enough for the time, the shooting mechanics are what you would expect for the time...the list goes on. I don't think you can fault Raven for making a pretty average game because the intention was never to make a genre defining mega hit; they made a game to the standards of the day and put a bunch of updated Quake II designs in it and called it Quake 4.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Man, this game seems really boring. I'm glad that videogames as a medium have moved on from dogshit brown and dystopia grey as their primary colors.

Also, Peter Stormare, seen here in his most famous role, Shouty Euro rear end in a top hat. Usually German or Russian.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

malkav11 posted:

Oh man, I thought that sounded like him. I just didn't expect there to be actual (more or less) famous actors voicing anyone in this cast of random soldiers.
If I remember correctly, 90% of this game is voiced by Steve Blum.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

What precisely about Russian would make you inclined to pronounce Strauss 'Štrauss'?

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Samovar posted:

What precisely about Russian would make you inclined to pronounce Strauss 'Štrauss'?

When you pronounce a foreign word in Russian, most of the time the correct way will be to mimic the original pronunciation as closely as possible. Where the phonetic systems are vastly different like between Russian and English, it will almost never work. But German has only two non-umlaut sounds that are completely absent from Russian

Strauss registers as a German name in my mind. So, since 'st' is pronounced as 'sht" in German most of the time, I have to actively force myself to anglicize the pronunciation, even if the :sweden: VA pronounces it as 'st' :eng101:
Same goes for Wolfenstein. I can't not pronounce it as "Volfenshtain"

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

Man, this game seems really boring. I'm glad that videogames as a medium have moved on from dogshit brown and dystopia grey as their primary colors.

Also, Peter Stormare, seen here in his most famous role, Shouty Euro rear end in a top hat. Usually German or Russian.

Hey, I just walked in from the Prey thread, and boy is it colourful!

Peter Stormare is always best as a shouty man. Like in Mercenaries 2.

auzdark
Aug 29, 2005

Mercy is the cry of the soul that stirred,
Mercy is the cry and it's never heard.

White Coke posted:

Sorry, I did mean Quake 1 like Aces High mentioned - I was super excited to see what would happen next but only got Quake 2 on the N64 but it seemed like a whole different 'universe'

I think with the horror resurgence, We could use a reboot of Quake - the atmosphere was always so great!

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I've said it before and I'll say it again, we need an eldritch horror/Cthulhu-heavy Quake reboot, with a seriously mind bending setting.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jan 14, 2018

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
A Quake1-esque reboot for Quake would be awesome. Or, Hell, fuse everything and make a soft reboot that mashes everything together, like DOOM did

I'm here to let teammates shoot Strogg and spew one-liners, and I'm all outta one-liners :v:

nutri_void fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jan 15, 2018

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

It's so scripted. Voss and the rest aren't even going to wait for you to follow them, they're going to get to each and every point, and they're going to spew their lines, whether you're there or not. Some of your AI companions aren't entirely scripted, but a lot of them (especially Rhino Squad) are, and you can just follow along with them as a flunky while they do all of the heavy lifting.

But Quake 4 is very much a game of its time. The engine was lovely, but seeing as how unnecessarily dark (not in the "mature" way, but in the "turn on some goddamned lights so I can see where I'm going" way), Quake 4 has a flashlight connected to the two primary weapons, and there are portions of it when you get to step outside in the sunlight, and not just the corridors.

No deviations from the set path though. No alternate routes. Can't even loop around to flank someone. Much of the game is practically a rail shooter based on how tightly you're controlled on how and where you can go.

Mind you, some of the setpieces are truly beautiful. Like the Hannibal. It's huge! Probably because it has huge guts. But yeah, it's not only possible to be crushed by the struts, you can get your head cut off if you're under the spaceship when it comes down.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Yeah. It's really evident how cramped the game is. Even Halo had maps that felt and were much bigger than this.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
I'm assuming the reason the grenade launcher is only situationally useful is because it looks like 90% of the Strogg you find love to get all up in your face where you can splash damage yourself with the grenade launcher? :v:

NinetySevenA
Feb 10, 2013

This part is where I turned the game off and never played again. I didn't know anything about the game but expected fast action gameplay like from what I had seen from quake and quake 2. The only reason it's in my steam library is because it came with all the other Id games steam had at the time.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
So I've been replaying Painkiller on max difficulty and it's surprisingly doable, although the crashes are even more infuriating than anything Quake 4 and pre-BFG Doom 3 have to offer put together

PurpleXVI posted:

I'm assuming the reason the grenade launcher is only situationally useful is because it looks like 90% of the Strogg you find love to get all up in your face where you can splash damage yourself with the grenade launcher? :v:

It's half this and half the very short range it has. It excels at killing two specific enemies and pretty much nothing else

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all
So far I think the worst part of Quake 4 is there's nothing memorable with it. We've been through 3 videos already and I'd be damned if I can tell you what happened in those videos. It just feels pretty samey at least for now.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school

Zain posted:

So far I think the worst part of Quake 4 is there's nothing memorable with it. We've been through 3 videos already and I'd be damned if I can tell you what happened in those videos. It just feels pretty samey at least for now.

I think that Science happened in one of them and then we declined to Science a big ship landing on us in another.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Ouchy-ouchy-ouch! Am I the only person who didn't hate Quake 4 or find it boring?

Quake 4 didn't add anything to the genre, that's true. The storyline is generic Space Marines vs Aliens, but there is the twist of you getting Stroggified, which they play out using the first person camera. It's scripted as all hell, so if you've played it enough times, you know exactly where every enemy is going to emerge, shoot them and move on. It's very brown and green, so it has the worst colour palette since Quake I and Daikatana.

But, y'know, it was pretty polished and stable... at least as far as I can remember. Leaving that aside, they did listen to complaints about Doom 3 and tried to address them (including less monster closets, less darkness, built-in flashlights). The voice-acting is great without being too over-the-top. There is a greater war out there, even though you are, for no good reason, the lynchpin for the entire assault. There are other marines fighting and dying by your side. The game attempts to mix things up as you go along, with the vehicle sections, the on-rail shooting sections, and even the Stroggification.

So far as memorable goes, it has moments. Small ones, but they are there. For instance, in the stuff that's gone on so far, there's the firing of the giant cannon (yes, I know it's scripted, and you can't shoot anything else, but it felt awesome the first time I played it), and there's the gently caress-huge Hannibal firing at fixed positions as it lands, and the lady in your ear calling out status updates.

I'm sorry, I'm probably not going to change any minds (nor is that my intention), but I do feel that someone should provide some defence for what was a serviceable game back in the day.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
Fun thing for the next video: count how many times the same voice actor talks to himself.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

painedforever posted:

Ouchy-ouchy-ouch! Am I the only person who didn't hate Quake 4 or find it boring?

I really, really like it. It doesn't revolutionize anything, but I like the setting and most of the weapons and enemies.

And Strauss, of course.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

painedforever posted:

Nah, I really liked this game for what it was. Just a solid shooter.

I'm also a freak who liked Quake 2 though.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

David D. Davidson posted:

Fun thing for the next video: count how many times the same voice actor talks to himself.

for some reason it's not as bad as when Nolan North does it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpRkT9JxdnE

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all

painedforever posted:

I don't hate it, but since it's obviously the Doom 3 engine and I have choice words about Doom 3... I guess I hate the look of it, but right now it's a very "Meh" start is all I have to say. I'm sure it'll get better later on, but just feel like it's not putting their best foot forward here.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
The thing that really struck me were the unlocked doors that led immediately to locked doors. Sometimes literally inches past the first door. Why? Just...why?

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

A bit of a breather from all the intense action :v:
This is where we get a bunch of story thrown at us and some world-building, where the "world" is mostly just soldiers, as well as the next task

nutri_void fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Jan 21, 2018

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

malkav11 posted:

The thing that really struck me were the unlocked doors that led immediately to locked doors. Sometimes literally inches past the first door. Why? Just...why?

I think the strogg were spawning from these

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Jesus those mouth animations. It's like they're a bunch of nutcrackers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Samovar posted:

Jesus those mouth animations. It's like they're a bunch of nutcrackers.

Just you wait

• Locked thread