Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
The tight quarters and high bullet damage (at least incoming) makes this feel like a slow and unfair version of Superhot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.
It's a very Raven-esque sequence, isn't it? Out of the games I've played, Soldier of Fortune 2 and Elite Force both had this progression of "Action Sequence -> Guided Tour of Home Base -> Action Sequence". Deus Ex had it as well (and that came out before either of those others, maybe?), but this is the sort of thing I've associated with Raven Software. I'm trying to remember if Hexen or Heretic had that, but I don't think they did.

Speaking of Raven Software, no way to avoid Raven Squad, is there? I always used to wonder if there were any others hidden away anywhere, but Quake 4 was not a game that had a lot of secret corners with hidden goodies.

Lemme see now, so far we've had:

Rhino Squad (that's us)
Raven Squad (seem to be the most numerous, and handle technical jobs)
Warthog Squad
Viper Squad
Wolf Squad

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer
Cougar, Grizzly, Kodiak

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

painedforever posted:

Ouchy-ouchy-ouch! Am I the only person who didn't hate Quake 4 or find it boring?
I like it a lot and actually went through the pain of playing through it on the highest difficulty. My biggest gripe with it is that you don't get the final weapon early enough.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

painedforever posted:

It's a very Raven-esque sequence, isn't it? Out of the games I've played, Soldier of Fortune 2 and Elite Force both had this progression of "Action Sequence -> Guided Tour of Home Base -> Action Sequence". Deus Ex had it as well (and that came out before either of those others, maybe?), but this is the sort of thing I've associated with Raven Software. I'm trying to remember if Hexen or Heretic had that, but I don't think they did.

I don't believe Heretic or Hexen had home bases at all. Not sure they even had friendly NPCs, but it's been a while.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Alexeythegreat posted:

Cougar, Grizzly, Kodiak

Badger, Mushroom, Snake

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

malkav11 posted:

I don't believe Heretic or Hexen had home bases at all. Not sure they even had friendly NPCs, but it's been a while.

Nope, none of the sort.

Heretic was a pure DOOM-clone and Hexen was hub-based, kinda like Quake 2.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

KozmoNaut posted:

Badger, Mushroom, Snake

I don't know if you're joking or not. I heard "Badger" (they're probably Honey Badgers), but "Mushroom"?

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Holy poo poo really?
Badgers!
How have you never heard of Mr Weebl?

Man that shade of green these Raven squad boys use is reminding me strongly of a certain super grumpy Doom Slayer.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

... the hell?

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Yeah that's usually the response to a Weebl video.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Dreadwroth posted:

Yeah that's usually the response to a Weebl video.

Fifty-twelve!

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Ohhhh. It's bebop. Or da-da.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
Next thing you’ll be telling me you don’t know cyriak

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
True story: I didn't learn about Cyriak until October of last year. I think past a certain point people stop telling you things because they just assume you already know.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

I treasure my ignorance.

No, no, that's a lie, but there are things that don't interest me. Weird, nauseating animation is definitely on the list.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Tangentially related, but Cyriak is also known for creating the exceptional Going Down megawad for Doom. :eng101:

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Was the modding scene in any way significant for Quake 4 or Doom 3? Doom and Doom 2 had their WADs, and I was recently reminded of one that I'd played which had the X-Men in it.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
Quake 4 has an entire nonlinear campaign mod called False Dawn.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Doom 3 had a co-op mod, but sadly only like, three or four awful, half-finished maps for it when I tried it.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

I think Quake 4 might have been the last game I can remember buying on physical media for the PC. :cripes:

Thanks for playing this. This is bringing back memories.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
Some people did try to make a Descent mod for Doom 3, so there's video of Doomguy 6DOF flying around a reactor core somewhere out there.

Static_Fiend
Jun 4, 2003

Who amongst us will have reached the end?

painedforever posted:

Someone on SA did a great LP of Quake 4 before... can't remember the guy's name, but I always thought of him as "Brendan Fraser if he were an LP-er". I think all of the videos are gone because he used Viddler?

They're all on YouTube as well, just terrible quality since they're from ancient days. (hello I'm the guy who did that thing).

Very much looking forward to a lot more of this, never did try the highest difficulty and it's amusing to see just how much sillier this game is at high difficulty.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Static_Fiend posted:

They're all on YouTube as well, just terrible quality since they're from ancient days. (hello I'm the guy who did that thing).

Very much looking forward to a lot more of this, never did try the highest difficulty and it's amusing to see just how much sillier this game is at high difficulty.

It's Static Fiend! It's him! Oh my gosh! You did that Prey LP as well! The old one, not the new one...

Static_Fiend
Jun 4, 2003

Who amongst us will have reached the end?

painedforever posted:

It's Static Fiend! It's him! Oh my gosh! You did that Prey LP as well! The old one, not the new one...

I did do that as well, indians, underwear and all!

Started to remember how difficult certain sections of Quake 4 start to get and I'm baffled how you'll deal with them getting nearly one shot by everything.

Static_Fiend fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Jan 30, 2018

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Static_Fiend posted:

I did do that as well, indians, underwear and all!

Started to remember how difficult certain sections of Quake 4 start to get and I'm baffled how you'll deal with them getting nearly one shot by everything.

Attrition :v:

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
That or a railgun.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer

anilEhilated posted:

That or a railgun.

¿Porque no los dos?

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

anilEhilated posted:

That or a railgun.

KieranWalker posted:

¿Porque no los dos?

Railgun Attrition would make for a pretty good band name, though I don't know what genre of music they'd play.

Aumanor fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Jan 30, 2018

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Thrash or speed metal. Because that's what it looks like.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
I could also be a pretty good Techno album too.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

David D. Davidson posted:

I could also be a pretty good Techno album too.

I was thinking something like Venetian Snares.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
Okay, making subtitles is taking loving forever, so I have to take a poll: do I keep making subtitles? If I do, it's gonna take like two weeks per update at this rate
I sure as hell am not going to do this for Prey and Doom 3, which also lack in-game subtitles

Here's the poll

nutri_void fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Feb 3, 2018

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

So I've voted "Up to you", and I'll tell you why. They are funny, and it was amusing in the beginning, especially with the *pew-pew*, which was perfectly timed. However...

You can turn them off for most of the pedestrian sections of the game (of which there are many), but you could add them for special occasions, where the action might overwhelm the dialogue.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
I'm voting "up to you," because while the subtitles are definitely worth the wait and add to the episodes, I don't want you to burn out making them.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

PurpleXVI posted:

I'm voting "up to you," because while the subtitles are definitely worth the wait and add to the episodes, I don't want you to burn out making them.

This. Don't make this into a chore, Alexey.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Technowolf posted:

This as well. LPs should be fun.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

Technowolf posted:

Agreed.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Yeah I've played the game enough times that I know most of what the conversations are but the Strogg interjections and other off-the-cuff subtitles were funny. Presumably they take considerably less time to do as well :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

azren posted:

Agreed.

Yup. We're not missing out during the normal talkie scenes, but it's nice when things are heating up.

• Locked thread