Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Well it was 2004, I was a little grossed out the first time too. Mostly because I was wondering how they were keeping Kane alive based off of all the shock he must've been experiencing :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

azren
Feb 14, 2011

Comparatively tame or not, I'd still say that segment is pretty freaky, and nicely done.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

So far, that sequence is the only memorable thing about this game and I expect it'll remain as such. Raven Software has a knack for making competent but unremarkable shooters with exactly one interesting gimmick.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Doc M posted:

So far, that sequence is the only memorable thing about this game and I expect it'll remain as such. Raven Software has a knack for making competent but unremarkable shooters with exactly one interesting gimmick.

Why couldn't they just make Jedi Knight games forever. :(

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

I always thought Jedi Outcast was trash and even the one interesting gimmick (the lightsaber) couldn't make up for the godawful level design. I heard Jedi Academy is better in that respect, but I've never played that one because I hated Jedi Outcast so much.

...Huh, apparently I own all the Jedi Knight games on Steam. Wonder how that happened.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school

Doc M posted:

...Huh, apparently I own all the Jedi Knight games on Steam. Wonder how that happened.

There was a Humble Bundle with all the old Star Wars Steam games in it awhile back.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

ManxomeBromide posted:

It seemed like when you were able to get cover that that emergency blaster took a surprising turn for the actually useful. How much damage does it do/how useful is it on a sane difficulty setting?

You never have to use it on a sane difficulty setting :v:

PurpleXVI posted:

Would you say that you stroggled with this section a lot?

Enough that my mind's stroggtural integrity is ruined (still better than Blood Omen 2)

CommissarMega posted:

You missed one death near the end there, Alexey :)

On a more serious note, holy poo poo does the hardest mode look unfun.

Oh, I really did. I'll have to keep this in mind

Doc M posted:

I'll play Singularity on camera one day... no points for guessing what'll be my shtick there

Doc M posted:

I always thought Jedi Outcast was trash and even the one interesting gimmick (the lightsaber) couldn't make up for the godawful level design. I heard Jedi Academy is better in that respect, but I've never played that one because I hated Jedi Outcast so much.

Level design in Jedi Academy is every bit as good as that of Jedi Outcast is nightmarish. There's only one level in Jedi Academy where I could, sometimes, get lost. In Jedi Outcast there's only one non-intermission level where I won't get lost.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Catching up with the thread. drat alex sorry bout the hep! It's gotta suck to be immobilized if you're used to working out. Maybe you can try some low intensity stuff like walking or whatever? Just to get you up and out and about, get you some air, some wind in your face, keep the spirits up? You may wanna ask your doc about that though, I dunno anything about hep :)

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

azren posted:

Comparatively tame or not, I'd still say that segment is pretty freaky, and nicely done.

Yeah. Having that one marine ahead of you to show off what was about to happen to you was a good touch.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Wait, so, do your weapons do fixed or random damage? Or is it down to stuff like headshots, distance, etc.? Because it really feels like the amount of shots it takes to put enemies down varies wildly.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Putting in that mod, that turns all enemies in Jedi Academy into dark jedi, made for a wonderful little game.

https://mrwonko.de/jk3files/Jedi%20Academy/Mods/Single%20Player/60022/

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Aw man, I missed that this had updated last month. Still, it means a lot to catch up on. Thanks, Lexy!

Edit: After watching those vids, are we sure that Kane's first name isn't Sisyphus?

Samovar fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Jul 25, 2018

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

PurpleXVI posted:

Wait, so, do your weapons do fixed or random damage? Or is it down to stuff like headshots, distance, etc.? Because it really feels like the amount of shots it takes to put enemies down varies wildly.

It's fixed, and I don't think the game has locational damage. The problem is that a) the game controls like rear end and b) the later hitscan enemies (tactical strogg) attack you instantly, so you have to know where they are. It'll be especially evident once we get the epically underwhelming railgun. Half the time you think you should hit, you don't. A good way to compare will be when we get the scope/lock-on upgrade for the nailgun. The enemies will still take a lot, but nowhere near as many shots.

On lower difficulties, the game is a slog, but not an unfair one and it can a times be fun. On General... well, you see what happens on General

Samovar posted:

Aw man, I missed that this had updated last month. Still, it means a lot to catch up on. Thanks, Lexy!

Edit: After watching those vids, are we sure that Kane's first name isn't Sisyphus?

That's what happens when I start pulling a YET on my FPS threads :v:
It's more about masochism than anything. It will get somewhat better, because instead of forcing me to go with no ammo the game will start throwing tactical strogg at me, meaning that going forward slowly and carefully will sometimes be a viable option

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
The thing that gets me most about the stroggification scene is that you continue to do the same idle animation through the entire bit. Surely there should have been some seizing, some going limp, something when they cut your legs off? Kane's complete lack of reaction beyond screaming is kind of jarring.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

They pump him full of :catdrugs:

Can't explain how he's ready to go when they bust him out, though.

Brute Hole Force
Dec 25, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Nanomachines

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
We'll have an in-universe explanation for that once we get back to the puny humans: steroids.
Second half of Quake 4 is basically the story of a guy in permanent roid rage mode

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school

Alexeythegreat posted:

Second half of Quake 4 is basically the story of a guy in permanent roid rage mode

The irony is now the player isn't raging about having to move everywhere at an urgently casual stroll.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

ManxomeBromide posted:

The irony is now the player isn't raging about having to move everywhere at an urgently casual stroll.

I can quickly cut up a death reel for one of the boss fights, that one elicited plenty of grade A rage

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

The medical facility is finally over, but not before we encounter what is the second most irritating regular enemy in the entire game. Bad stroggo. Bad.

There is also another vehicle section, the last in the game. This one is a slow slog, but also easy, unlike the one where you have to fight against two big-rear end spiders.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

As you said, everything's a bullet sponge at this difficulty. It's so awful. I don't know whether enemies that hit unfairly hard or take forever to kill is worse.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?

THE BAR posted:

As you said, everything's a bullet sponge at this difficulty. It's so awful. I don't know whether enemies that hit unfairly hard or take forever to kill is worse.

I'd say the latter. Because with the former, at least the gameplay remains somewhat quick and unless the enemies have hitscan weapons and the level design is garbage, the player should be able to do some dodging. With the MEAT WALL enemies, there's no way around it, no matter what the player does, every fight will be a horrible, unfun, extended slog.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
It's definitely the latter. The first Far Cry is an example of a game that's also brutal and frustrating on higher difficulties, but nothing takes forever to kill, making the game perfectly playable if you can aim and pay attention

There are also Doom-16, Painkiller, and Serious Sam 3, where difficulty only affects the damage you take and (in Doom) the AI, but not how much they can take, and these are pretty much about as close as an FPS can get to a test of skill not affected by RNG/jumpscares

As a sidenote, when I get to Doom 3, I'll be playing it on Normal. Maximum difficulty doesn't even give you anything apart from bragging rights, and forces me to do more work not only when I'm playing the game, but also in the editing afterwards. There are other games that should be LPs on the highest difficulty

nutri_void fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Aug 1, 2018

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer
On the subject of Doom, I just picked up Doom 2016? Watching you die 70+ times in Quake 4 looks like me playing Doom 2016.

I am not good at FPS games.

My habit of chasing everything with the shotgun probably isn't helping matters, but it's fun. :black101:

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

KieranWalker posted:

On the subject of Doom, I just picked up Doom 2016? Watching you die 70+ times in Quake 4 looks like me playing Doom 2016.

I am not good at FPS games.

My habit of chasing everything with the shotgun probably isn't helping matters, but it's fun. :black101:

Use Siege Mode Gauss Cannon and just snipe everything. The problem with that game is getting up close and personal usually means you are getting the short end of the stick.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Doom 2016 is one of those games where the optimal range depends entirely on what you're facing. You can and will get up close and personal with plenty of enemies, while some other types are best fought from a distance. Knowing which weapons work well against which threats (you don't want to always use the shotgun) is part of the skill.

Meanwhile, in Quake 4 a large part of the skill appears to be using your emergency pistol on everything because you have no loving ammo.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Meanwhile, in Quake 4 a large part of the skill appears to be using your emergency pistol on everything because you have no loving ammo.

To be fair to the game, on normal or merely hard difficulty the enemies are nowhere near this ridiculous. Alexey is just a masochist.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
Adding to that, Strogg Medical Facility is the only part of the game where you're strapped for ammo like that. I will only use the pistol a couple of times in the entire remainder of the game, and one of these times will be in a fit of rage against the final boss

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

What really gets me is the... sheer badness of the blaster pistol. Besides from a change in a meter reading, there's no difference between it and an uncharged pistol. Just think of how an overcharged shot was represented in the Halo series for comparisons' sake.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
It's funny watching this and seeing how bored you are by it. Raven seems to have had a consistent plan but just utterly hosed up the execution here.
  • You fight a desperate battle, and barely scrape by to "win"...
  • That victory ends up being a scripted defeat, at which point you are subjected to a house of horrors...
  • The kindness of superior motion, readable signs, and marginally better survivability are then countered by an endless series of vicious fights under desperate resource scarcity...
And then here it is going "well, OK, have a giant gently caress-off walking tank, with infinte homing missiles and regenerating shields and health, with enough time between battles to make sure that you'll be entering every single battle with full everything, and clowning the poo poo out of the guys who gave you so much trouble the first time through.

If I were watching this on mute, I'd think the game was trying to apologize for how it had been treating you. But after all that, it becomes a zero-challenge yawnfest instead of something that feels like a genuine breather.

Unrelated to all that: I think it's kind of neat how your squadmates acknowledge that you are now an unstoppable cybernetic badass but also insist on considering you the walking wounded, because by all rights you totally are. From a gameplay standpoint the Stroggification is pure upside but the characters never admit to thinking so. Good for them.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
Railgun

more like

FAILGUN

There's also tactical Strogg

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

A more disgusting part of the game than a part where you get a railgun that sucks? :v:

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Grimey Drawer
A drink of liquor for every death? With the way the last couple of videos have gone?

What kind of-- *grabs a bottle of limoncello and some water* --suicidal idiot do you think I am, anyway?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
It's okay, he only got his 78th death like five times. :v:

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Grimey Drawer
*6 minutes in* How am I still capable of lifting this bottle?

*11 minutes in* Oh god. I am going to die. :gonk: Tell Flocons de Mais I love her.

*End of video* The only reason I'm still alive is because Alexey quicksaves obsessively and the amount of water I've consumed has vastly outpaced the amount of alcohol I've consumed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

It's okay, he only got his 78th death like five times. :v:

I have to find a way to automate the counter, I keep missing deaths

KieranWalker posted:

*6 minutes in* How am I still capable of lifting this bottle?

*11 minutes in* Oh god. I am going to die. :gonk: Tell Flocons de Mais I love her.

*End of video* The only reason I'm still alive is because Alexey quicksaves obsessively and the amount of water I've consumed has vastly outpaced the amount of alcohol I've consumed.

This was the intended effect

PurpleXVI posted:

A more disgusting part of the game than a part where you get a railgun that sucks? :v:

Marginally

• Locked thread