Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

I spent a lot of time during my formative years playing quake 2 deathmatch (although weirdly never actually playing singleplayer). The weapon balance, level design and general mechanics - bunnyhopping included - just feel perfect. And the BFG10K was actually intuitive to figure out in terms of how its damage mechanics work. I've always been curious to see how quake 4 ended up...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

So, for your brief scientific interlude, did I miss something or does that door/walkway exist solely to let you kill yourself on that electrified railing? Seems like a complete dick move when a core part of most FPS games is/was to reward the player for doing little observational/exploration/jumping puzzles built into the level geometry.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Well, it's good to have you back!

Those hitscanners really feel out of place in a game like this, as does the slow movement speed - either let the player dodge, or let them have a way to get into a position where they don't have to. Otherwise, as you point out, it feels like trying your luck blindly rather than playing a game.

Is the hyperblaster hitscan? Seems like a departure from its original incarnation of being slow but decent damage projectiles, and the characteristic spin-down when you stop firing looks like it's gone too?

• Locked thread