Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
It's problematic comparing space ships to water ships anyway, since boats on Earth aren't airtight and don't need to carry their environment around with them. Also note that the inside of your spaceship doesn't need to be made of the same stuff as the hull, so a shell made of solid carbon whateverium would probably still contain walls and fittings of lightweight aluminum. That is, unless it's carved out of a solid asteroid or something.

If I wanted to be as accurate as I could be without an engineering degree: I'd start by considering how much the outer skin weighs by finding the surface area, multiplying that by how thick I think it should be on average, and multiplying that by the weight of whatever you're making the hull out of. Then I'd figure the volume, find out how much around a quarter of that would weigh in solid aluminum, and assume that's about it for fittings. If you want to be super duper accurate, add in how much the remainder of the volume weighs in two-thirds air and one-third water. Fudge it up and down depending on whether the ship's engines are big fuckoff rockets or some sort of future reactionless space warp thingy. Round up and call it good.

Note that in real spaceships, the hull isn't terribly thick. You don't need tremendous structural strength to hold in one atmosphere of pressure. Of course, (most) modern spacecraft don't have armor or weapons either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread