Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Yossarian-22 posted:

tbf he also got a phd from harvard or that's what i remember from that matt damon movie about being a smart failson

yeah in math. his manifesto is a perfect example of why STEM people shouldnt assume theyre experts on everything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

rudatron posted:

the only reason people care about kaczynkis insane ramblings is that he killed 3 random people to get it out there

i mean...

Yeah.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
:gas: thread, buy OP another red text

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

I love how every crazy person starts out blaming industrial society for being bad and then just pivots to this weird obsession with the leftists - who have no real power in any country - or the Jews

walgreenslatino
Jun 2, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

KaptainKrunk posted:

I love how every crazy person starts out blaming industrial society for being bad and then just pivots to this weird obsession with the leftists - who have no real power in any country - or the Jews

if you even bother to read the text you'll see that Kaczynski very clearly defines the term "leftist" and explicitly differentiates it from any 19th century political orientation

if you control+F+replace with "liberals" everyone in this dipshit subforum would be jerking off and acknowledging that he is 100% completely right, because he is

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
his 'clear definition' claims that leftists identify with the downtrodden on the basis of self-hate, which ignores the more obvious reason, empathy, and is nothing but a masturbatory ego-stroking segue into how he rediscovered the concept of alienation, but was too stupid to not buy into the noble savage myth

there is no 'ctrl-f' replace that will make him seem smarter, or somehow make his work not fundamentally broken

rudatron has issued a correction as of 01:58 on Jan 5, 2018

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Ted Kaczynski did plenty wrong you dumb lf wannabes

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

name one thing

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Darkman Fanpage posted:

name one thing

if we're speaking purely in regards to his methods because I assume you're going to be disingenuous about everything else, then his targeting of random no-names was a pretty big flaw in his strategy

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis
One of my friends was sent a review copy of a book that Ted Kaczynski had written and she didn't want it so I asked if I could have it, and she gave it to me. I didn't remember who Ted Kaczynski was, so when I started reading it on the bus I wasn't expecting it to be so crazy and incoherent. Anyway this thread loving sucks OP

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

if we're speaking purely in regards to his methods because I assume you're going to be disingenuous about everything else, then his targeting of random no-names was a pretty big flaw in his strategy

whatever you dumb lf wannabe

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 6 days!)

at least he didn't threaten to assassinate the prez

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

ironicat expanding to fill entire page

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Lastgirl posted:

whatever you dumb lf wannabe

1982 Subaru Brat
Feb 2, 2007

by Athanatos
I'm in a velvet bathrobe in my recliner in the corner by the fireplace, reading Helter Skelter with one hand and holding up a brandy snifter in the other, theatrically rolling my eyes at the Kaczynski-idolizing hoi polloi itt

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

i said name one thing

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Ted Kaczynski sucked and, since it's been mentioned, so did LF.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Darkman Fanpage posted:

i said name one thing

yeah and I did you fungus brain

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Kill 3 people and your manifesto gets treated like you're insane. Kill a million people though

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
:nallears:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

yeah in math. his manifesto is a perfect example of why STEM people shouldnt assume theyre experts on everything

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
Industrial society still exists so I'd say he did something wrong

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Jose posted:

Kill 3 people and your manifesto gets treated like you're insane. Kill a million people though

publisher voice:] I don't know how desperate you'd have to be to get onto the new york times best seller, i sort of have an idea and you might not like it but

EndTimesProfit
Jul 1, 2004

Don't worry son, it's just the Smilin' Mighty Jesus!

Mayor Dave posted:

Industrial society still exists so I'd say he did something wrong

He got caught, so he did something wrong.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

yeah and I did you fungus brain

no you didnt

walgreenslatino
Jun 2, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

rudatron posted:

his 'clear definition' claims that leftists identify with the downtrodden on the basis of self-hate, which ignores the more obvious reason, empathy, and is nothing but a masturbatory ego-stroking segue into how he rediscovered the concept of alienation, but was too stupid to not buy into the noble savage myth

there is no 'ctrl-f' replace that will make him seem smarter, or somehow make his work not fundamentally broken

Well if you want to cop to not hating yourself I'd certainly be surprised lol

Kaczynski's argument is that the green-anarchists / anarcho-prims are wrong precisely because of the noble savage myth. They have romanticized the past by projecting their own modern desires onto it, and imagine it as being a time where there was gender equality, less labor, unity with nature, etc. This is completely false, and he says exactly this in his further writings. You don't actually know anything about what he believes

Furthermore,

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Darkman Fanpage posted:

name one thing

got caught

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

hey now that's not fair he was also good at camping

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 has issued a correction as of 20:23 on Jan 5, 2018

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
didn't like an airplane flying over his man-cave so he went off and bombed some random airline pilot. tremendous rear end in a top hat iyam

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Yossarian-22 posted:

tbf he also got a phd from harvard or that's what i remember from that matt damon movie about being a smart failson

harvard is overrated

https://youtu.be/eeNsPE5XUXA

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

walgreenslatino posted:

Well if you want to cop to not hating yourself I'd certainly be surprised lol

Kaczynski's argument is that the green-anarchists / anarcho-prims are wrong precisely because of the noble savage myth. They have romanticized the past by projecting their own modern desires onto it, and imagine it as being a time where there was gender equality, less labor, unity with nature, etc. This is completely false, and he says exactly this in his further writings. You don't actually know anything about what he believes
What Kaczynski and Zerzan have in common is that they have formed a whole range of opinions about "primitive life" from their armchair. Kaczynski merely put his armchair out in the woods. Neither of them have any experience living in a "primitive" community - Zerzan because he likes modern conveniences in spite of himself, Kaczynski because he's an rear end in a top hat no one would want to be around.

a third case is demonstrated by Andrew Anglin, who saw Avatar and went off to the Philippines to live with the Navi, then went full white nationalist because they didn't live up to his fantasy

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

getting caught

everyone participating in capitalism shares guilt for its worst excesses. no one past childhood is innocent

walgreenslatino
Jun 2, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
I'm sorry that was mean and I was just being flippant

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
btw OP,

“Whoever you are, you who are hearing me now, I am speaking to whatever living remnant is left uncorrupted within you, to the remnant of the human, to your mind, and I say: There is a morality of reason, a morality proper to man, and Man’s Life is its standard of value.

“All that which is proper to the life of a rational being is the good; all that which destroys it is the evil.

“Man’s life, as required by his nature, is not the life of a mindless brute, of a looting thug or a mooching mystic, but the life of a thinking being—not life by means of force or fraud, but life by means of achievement—not survival at any price, since there’s only one price that pays for man’s survival: reason.

“Man’s life is the standard of morality, but your own life is its purpose. If existence on earth is your goal, you must choose your actions and values by the standard of that which is proper to man—for the purpose of preserving, fulfilling and enjoying the irreplaceable value which is your life.

“Since life requires a specific course of action, any other course will destroy it. A being who does not hold his own life as the motive and goal of his actions, is acting on the motive and standard of death. Such a being is a metaphysical monstrosity, struggling to oppose, negate and contradict the fact of his own existence, running blindly amuck on a trail of destruction, capable of nothing but pain.

“Happiness is the successful state of life, pain is an agent of death. Happiness is that state of consciousness which proceeds from the achievement of one’s values. A morality that dares to tell you to find happiness in the renunciation of your happiness—to value the failure of your values—is an insolent negation of morality. A doctrine that gives you, as an ideal, the role of a sacrificial animal seeking slaughter on the altars of others, is giving you death as your standard. By the grace of reality and the nature of life, man—every man—is an end in himself, he exists for his own sake, and the achievement of his own happiness is his highest moral purpose.

“But neither life nor happiness can be achieved by the pursuit of irrational whims. Just as man is free to attempt to survive in any random manner, but will perish unless he lives as his nature requires, so he is free to seek his happiness in any mindless fraud, but the torture of frustration is all he will find, unless he seeks the happiness proper to man. The purpose of morality is to teach you, not to suffer and die, but to enjoy yourself and live.

“Sweep aside those parasites of subsidized classrooms, who live on the profits of the mind of others and proclaim that man needs no morality, no values, no code of behavior. They, who pose as scientists and claim that man is only an animal, do not grant him inclusion in the law of existence they have granted to the lowest of insects. They recognize that every living species has a way of survival demanded by its nature, they do not claim that a fish can live out of water or that a dog can live without its sense of smell—but man, they claim, the most complex of beings, man can survive in any way whatever, man has no identity, no nature, and there’s no practical reason why he cannot live with his means of survival destroyed, with his mind throttled and placed at the disposal of any orders they might care to issue.

“Sweep aside those hatred-eaten mystics, who pose as friends of humanity and preach that the highest virtue man can practice is to hold his own life as of no value. Do they tell you that the purpose of morality is to curb man’s instinct of self-preservation? It is for the purpose of self-preservation that man needs a code of morality. The only man who desires to be moral is the man who desires to live.

“No, you do not have to live; it is your basic act of choice; but if you choose to live,. you must live as a man—by the work and the judgment of your mind.

“No, you do not have to live as a man; it is an act of moral choice. But you cannot live as anything else—and the alternative is that state of living death which you now see within you and around you, the state of a thing unfit for existence, no longer human and less than animal, a thing that knows nothing but pain and drags itself through its span of years in the agony of unthinking self-destruction.”

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
"black-style clothing"

Captain Billy Pissboy
Oct 25, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Captain Billy Pissboy has issued a correction as of 21:18 on Jan 5, 2018

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Gazpacho posted:

"black-style clothing"

That reminds me of the trailer of this tv show called dear white people for some reason

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

he signed up to be a participant in a psychological experiment at Harvard in the early 1960's, that was definitely not a good decision

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

ideoology *sniffs*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
his one act play "ship of fools" is underappreciated as a guide to his mindset. he inserts himself into the story as a cabin boy who's obviously smarter than everyone else because he wants the ship to "turn around" while the fools on board quibble about social relations. there's no mention of what destination he proposes to reach by turning around, that's just an end in itself, justified by the fact that is not "onward." Ultimately it doesn't matter; what matters in the story is Ted and his "courage" in taking on the fools

• Locked thread