Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Takuan
May 6, 2007

WK12
HM: Ropppongi 3k vs Young Bucks
MOTYC: Suzuki vs Goto
MOTYC: Scurll vs Hiromu vs Ospreay vs Kushida
MOTYC: Omega vs Jericho
MOTYC: Okada vs Naito

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takuan
May 6, 2007

Baron Corbyn posted:

HM: The Young Bucks vs. Roppongi 3K (NJPW New Beginning in Sapporo 1/28

3rd, though the aftermath of Kenny/White was the best part of the show.

Takuan
May 6, 2007

Baron Corbyn posted:

HM: Jun Kasai vs. Takashi Iizuka (K-DOJO TakaTaichiMania 1/23)
HM: Taichi vs. Tetsuya Naito (K-DOJO TakaTaichiMania 1/23)

hopefully NJPW puts them up as VOD, but if not SamuraiTV were filming so they'll end up on the RealHeroArchive

These were better matches than I thought Iizuka and Taichi were capable of having.

Takuan
May 6, 2007

MOTYC: Ospreay vs Hiromu
HM: Okada vs SANADA

Takuan
May 6, 2007

extradite THIS! posted:

Elgin vs Ishii on the other hand - well, it was a very good match apart from Elgin being Elgin IRL and that horrific spot above. I'll give it an

HM: Michael Elgin vs. Tomohiro Ishii (3/9 New Japan Cup)
same.
HM: Michael Elgin vs Tomohiro Ishii (3/9 New Japan Cup)

Takuan
May 6, 2007

I just binged through the past 3 days of New Japan Cup Matches.
HM: Kota Ibushi vs YOSHI-HASHI
HM: Tetsuya Naito vs Zack Sabre Jr
HM: SANADA vs Chuckie T

Takuan
May 6, 2007

ElNarez posted:

MOTYC - Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Juice Robinson, New Japan Cup 2018 Semi-finals, 3/16/2018

Nth. Even my wife, who actively dislikes wrestling, was into it.

Takuan
May 6, 2007

purkey posted:

HM: ZSJ/Sanada New Japan Cup 3/18.

A bit of a slow start to this, but still a really fun match that’s more than worth a watch

3rd.

Takuan
May 6, 2007

MOTYC: ZSJ vs Hiroshi Tanahashi - New Japan Cup Final 3/21

purkey posted:

Thirded. Tana is amazing, ZSJ looks like an absolute killer and I can’t believe how quickly a match that featured mostly grappling flew by
Nth. ZSJ is great at making me think "This match is just getting started", then I hear the announcer go "Nijup-pun ge ka. Twenty minutes pass."

Takuan
May 6, 2007

ElNarez posted:

HM: Jushin Thunder Liger vs. Will Ospreay, NJPW SSE 3/25

It's not the Rey match, or any of what was later in the card, but, as a celebration of Liger, it was really fun, and that's worth something too.

2nd. I thought I was gonna be the only one nominating that match for a HM.

Also,
MOTYC : Young Bucks vs Golden Lovers NJPW SSE 3/25
HM: Suzuki/Sabre vs. Okada/Ishii, NJPW SSE, 3/25

Young Bucks vs Golden Lovers was one of the best-told stories in a wrestling ring I've ever seen.

Takuan
May 6, 2007

Baron Corbyn posted:

MOTYC: Ospreay/Scurll
MOTYC: Okada/ZSJ

Nthed. Ospreay/Scull may be the best match they've had together, and Okada/ZSJ was everything I hoped for.

Takuan
May 6, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

I was actually of half a mind to nominate it for WMOTY just because the match really made no sense, didn't flow well and they were just loving themselves up in mostly unrelated spots. But the commentary was fun, and the aftermath with the karaoke was too much of an upbeat ending to really push it that far. I had hoped for more from the match though.

Last night when I went to bed, at 4:45 in the goddamn morning, I was all amped up to come in here in the morning and give it a WMOTY. That match was a poo poo show, but not even a fun, laughable poo poo show, but just kinda sad and overall bad. It was nowhere near as good as a Great Space War. Now, I just don't care.

That being said-
HM: The Spring Break Clusterfuck, Joe Janela's Spring Break, 4/7.

Takuan
May 6, 2007

rare Magic card l00k posted:

MOTYC: Omega vs. Okada I, Dominion
MOTYC: Omega vs. Okada II, Dominion
MOTYC: Omega vs. Okada III, Dominion

.....wait what do you mean that was one match stop lying.

STONE COLD 64 posted:

or rename the thread Okada vs Omega IV and Other Honorable Mentions

:hellyeah:

Takuan
May 6, 2007

So, I've run the numbers for the G1 nomination, and the rankings for most matches of the years and HMS are as follows:

Kota: MOTY 7 HM 2
Ishii: MOTY 7 HM: 1
Omega: MOTY 4 HM 4
SANADA: MOTY 4 HM 4
ZSJ: MOTY 4 HM 1
NAITO: MOTY 3 HM 4
Yano: MOTY 3 HM 2
Goto: MOTY 2 HM 3
Tanahashi: MOTY 2 HM 3
Weird Kazu: MOTY 2 HM 2
EVIL: MOTY 1 HM 1
Juice: HM 6
Suzuki: HM 3
Page: HM 2
Knife Pervert: HM 1
Fale: HM 1
Sweets Makabe: HM 1
Elgin: HM 1
Tacos: Hm 1

Kota and Ishii are the MVPs of the tournament. Okada, arguably the best overall worker in the company was clearly holding himself back. Juice earned the title of the Good Enough Bout Machine with more HMs than anyone(and that was with a broken hand!). YOSHI-HASHI and Elgin's only HMs were in their match with each other. I was surprised Hangman Page only had 1 HM, I thought he did better than that. And missing from the list is Tama Tonga with not a single HM or MOTY nomination the whole tournament.

Takuan
May 6, 2007

extradite THIS! posted:

At least one of your numbers can't be right, Elgin also has an HM with Tana.

But thanks anyway, this is all good stuff :)

Yeah, I missed that one. There might be more mistakes, the list started running together after a while as I was counting. But it still gives an overall impression of how everyone did in the G1.

Edit: Out of curiousity I went and looked at the MOTY list for the whole year, and Kota and Ishii are still tied with a total of 8 MOTY each so far, which if you think about it is an average of 1 per month so far, which is kind of insane if you think about it. Okada is in the lead for the year overall, with 9 MOTY so far.

Takuan fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Aug 13, 2018

Takuan
May 6, 2007

MassRafTer posted:

MOTYC: Aerostar and Drago vs. Golden Magic and Laredo Kid, Bandido and Flamita and Andrew Everett and DJZ, Ladder match, Triplemania XXVI

The peak of loving insane moves done off ladders. Incredible.

Seconded. Holy gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takuan
May 6, 2007

MassRafTer posted:

HM: La Mascara, Rey Escorpion and Texano Jr. vs. Joe Lider, Murder Clown and Pagano in a Street Fight, Triplemania

Great hardcore/death match brawl. Pagano and Lider have been in lovely matches all year, Murder Clown sucks too, but this was GREAT. Just a dumb crazy brawl.

3rding the HM.