Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Foul Fowl posted:

this gets an HM if it's Kota Ibushi vs. Cody (w/ Brandi Rhodes)

please refer to it by it's correct title of "JapanXUSA HANDSOME BATTLE Kota Ibushi vs. Cody (w/ Brandi Rhodes)" please

And nth all the matches mentioned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

oatgan posted:

MOTYC: Joe Doering vs Zeus - AJPW 1/2

2nd

I'm going to wait until I see how it came across on TV but check out Kenoh vs. Kaito Kiyomiya too. It was a lot of fun live.

MassRafTer posted:

WMOTYC: Tim Storm vs Jocephus, NWA Empty Impact Zone Match, 1/14

Do you like Tim Storm screaming the same three phrases over and over? Do you want to see Jocephus' undies? Do you want to see the slowest brawl of the year?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsKqNCnTi20

This is for you!
also 2nd

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

MOTYC - Kenoh vs. Kaito Kiyomiya NOAH 1/6

Holds up on a rewatch

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

HM: Jun Kasai vs. Takashi Iizuka (K-DOJO TakaTaichiMania 1/23)
HM: Taichi vs. Tetsuya Naito (K-DOJO TakaTaichiMania 1/23)

hopefully NJPW puts them up as VOD, but if not SamuraiTV were filming so they'll end up on the RealHeroArchive

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Baron Corbyn posted:

MOTYC - Kenoh vs. Kaito Kiyomiya NOAH 1/6

Holds up on a rewatch

main event of this show for any one interested. It's really really good, trust me.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

MOTYC: Hiroshi Tanahashi (C) vs Minoru Suzuki for the IWGP Intercontinental Championship at The New Beginning in Sapporo Day 1 - 1/27

It was hovering around the HM mark but the final, excruciating, horrifying 5-10 minutes pushed it over the edge. The torture of Tanahashi by the sadist Suzuki was incredible to watch, the ending and the aftermath etc all just made it a must-watch. What a great match.

definitely

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

DarkstarIV posted:

MOTYC: Johnny Gargano vs Andrade "Cien" Almas NXT Takeover Philly 1/27/18

yeah. I would have gone HM on Cole/Black but it's already an MOTYC now so there's no point.

Last two matches were great and saved that from being the worst Takeover though.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Tanahashi/Suzuki is definitely the MOTY for me so far

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

HM: The Young Bucks vs. Roppongi 3K (NJPW New Beginning in Sapporo 1/28

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

extradite THIS! posted:

Yeah it was unfortunately the only very good match on the Day 2 card.

I would have gone HM for Omega/Jay if the crowd have a poo poo about Jay but Jay is still looking for that break out moment as it stands.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Baron Corbyn posted:

HM: Jun Kasai vs. Takashi Iizuka (K-DOJO TakaTaichiMania 1/23)
HM: Taichi vs. Tetsuya Naito (K-DOJO TakaTaichiMania 1/23)

hopefully NJPW puts them up as VOD, but if not SamuraiTV were filming so they'll end up on the RealHeroArchive

full show

GEORGE W BUSHI fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Jan 31, 2018

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

HM: Shuji Ishikawa vs. HARASHIMA (DDT D-Oh Grand Prix Finals 1/28)

I didn't watch this at the time because it was sandwiched in between Takeover and the New Beginning but it was a really nice David vs. Goliath match where Goliath absolutely murders David. Ishikawa is fast becoming one of my favourites, which is good because he is apparently everywhere.

Also the winner sings a song at the end for reasons I'm not sure of.

I got the free trial of DDT to watch the Ibushi vs. Omega match and it's really worth checking that out if you haven't already btw.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

I'll HM Volador Jr./Barbara Cavernario too.

Also try one more time to get people to watch Iizuka/Kasai because it's one of my favourites this year.

https://rutube.ru/video/cc57f47e9a166dad9a8491ac8d757b35/

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

HM: Kento Miyahara & YOSHITATSU vs. Shuji Ishikawa & Suwama (AJPW Yokohama Twilight Blues 2/3)

didn't live up to their MOTYC from last year and it was hurt by the arena not really carrying crowd noise but still a really great match. Catch it when it goes up on the Real Hero Archive before AJPW's streaming service launches and you have to pay for it.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

I'll second that, I enjoyed it way more than I ever thought I'd enjoy a YOSHITATSU match.

try to find some time to watch this one from last year before AJPW's streaming service launches and the Real Hero guys scrub all their archived AJPW matches. It's even better and Yoshi was the MVP in the match

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Do you have a link to that Finnish match?

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

MOTYC: WALTER (c) vs. Timothy Thatcher - Progress Atlas Championship (Progress Chapter 62 1/28)

I've seen Suzuki/Tanahashi. I've seen Almas/Gargano. I was at the Tokyo Dome. This was the best match I've seen in 2018. If you like seeing brutal, vicious strike battles and people beating the poo poo out of each other then you owe it to yourself to watch this match. It's absolutely worth paying for a month of Progress on it's own, but if you don't want to do that and have no moral qualms then it's available out there. Just do whatever you can to see this match. Definitely five stars in my book just based on how many times it made me yell out expletives sitting in my living room.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

HM: EVIL & SANADA (c) vs. Kazuchika Okada & Hirooki Goto IWGP Tag Team Championship (Road to New Beginning 2/6)

Fantastic closing stretch and really hot crowd pushed this to HM status in my book.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Gaz-L posted:

I know that reversal sequence was the big moment to set up Saturday, but honestly, I think EVIL was the star of that match. He was just so good and has so much charisma in everything he does. (Plus I am way less certain about the outcome of the NEVER title match than I am about the prospect of SANADA of all people being the one to end Okada's 2 year reign)

if EVIL looked like SANADA then little Kazu would need to be worried about his spot

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Dimebags Brain posted:

MOTYC: Open the Dream Gate Championship - Kzy vs. Masaaki Mochizuki, Dragon Gate Korakuen Hall 2/7

What a loving match, Kzy's come a long way from his longtime role as an ugly jobber.

2nd. I don't think I've seen too many matches end off the trading pinball attempts spot and it made the end exciting and cool.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

St Evan Echoes posted:

MOTYC: Kazuchika Okada vs SANADA, New Beginning in Okasa

This got so god damned good down the home stretch

MOTYC, that was better than the Naito match imo

Actually

MOTYC: Will Ospreay vs. Hiromu Takahashi

too

GEORGE W BUSHI fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Feb 10, 2018

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

MOTYC: Kenoh (c) vs. Yuko Miyamoto (GHC Heavyweight Championship 2/2 NOAH Navigation for the Future)

Video here. Another great match from NOAH's champ. If you're one of those people who complain about NJPW's matches being overly long then check this out. Less than twenty minutes and very hard hitting.

HM: Naomichi Marufuji vs. Kaito Kiyomiya (same show)

Video. This is a follow up to a match they had last year where Marufuji beat the poo poo out of Kaito for ten minutes. This one is a lot more even and Kaito earns the respect of the veteran. This is honestly more of a recommendation to keep your eyes on Kaito than anything but the match is great. Also it's pretty wild that Kaito's whole deal is wanting to be Misawa when he was like 12 when Misawa died.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Thanks. Was there a guy walking around selling fresh vegetables? I tried to watch CMLL after Kawato's debut but I ended up bored and confused. I was still confused as gently caress watching this but I enjoyed it more except for the uncomfortably long shot of the awkward dancers. The ending was weird.

The Berzerker posted:

Thanks for this. By total fluke I happened to catch a docuseries on TV tonight called The Wrestler, and they did a little profile on Kaito (while he traveled around Canada with CFW who were doing shows at indigenous reserves up here) - which btw is a good series worth looking into, it airs on Viceland in Canada and is a project from Damian Abraham (singer for hosed Up)

You know where I could find this?

SatoshiMiwa posted:

HM: Taichi vs Naito - Jan 23rd

Finally got around to watching and it's the best Taichi singles match I've seen

I think we need one more. Check it out guys, seriously it's really fun.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTi_HphtfAM

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

DarkstarIV posted:

HM: Kagetsu, Sumire Natsu, and Hana Kimura (Oedo Tai) vs. Mayu Iwatani, Tam Nakano, and Mari Apache: 2/10 Stardom Shinkiba Show

While not AMAZING wrestling wise, the storytelling in that match was incredibly great. Hana has a great future ahead of her, especially with her submission holds. I like them more than Shayna's submissions. They look (and probably feel) more brutal.

3rd. This is set up for their upcoming tag title match and I'm assuming the context here will make that match better too.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Dimebags Brain posted:

MOTYC: Open the Dream Gate Championship - Kzy vs. Masaaki Mochizuki, Dragon Gate Korakuen Hall 2/7

What a loving match, Kzy's come a long way from his longtime role as an ugly jobber.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqVpAz8ndIw

This match absolutely deserves its accolades.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

That's the Gaora broadcast with full commentary and multiple camera angles.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Dimebags Brain posted:

Ahh poo poo, that's what I get for not clicking the video. I watched it hard cam only.

yeah, the original broadcast was on NicoNico. I watched it again on the Gaora broadcast and the extra production probably moved it up a few places on my MOTY list.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

HM: Cody and Marty Scurll vs The Golden Lovers (Kenny Omega/Kota Ibushi) at NJPW Honor Rising 2/24

Golden Lovers are an incredible duo, Cody played a great old school heel, Marty finally cementing the side he'd taken, a super hot crowd, amazing double-teams, terrifying high risk moves, THE KISS :derp:

This was a hell of a match.

3rd.

Anyone got a link for those CMLL matches?

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

You guys are forgetting the number one contenders, El Desperado and the other junior from Suzuki-gun who isn't TAKA Michinoku

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

3rd

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Jenny Angel posted:

Looks like this has all the nominations it needs, but I'm nthing it. Io is insanely good and has that same Okada ace quality where almost everyone she wrestles comes out looking like they're gonna be the next big thing

all we needed for a MOTYC was people to start spamming the women's wrestling thread with "Momo is winning"

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Double post

Also check out Matt Riddle vs James Drake from EVOLVE

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

I think Hiromu/Ospreay should be MOTYC

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

I mean I think it got enough votes

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

HM: Kazuchika Okada vs Will Ospreay - NJPW Anniversary Show - 3/6

Ospreay's initial respect towards Okada turning into fire as his confidence grew was tremendous, and the final few minutes of the match were incredibly good with both taking control in different sections and some beautiful false finishes and tremendous counters. Postmatch was real good too, make sure you see this match!

yeah, I think this might be the first Okada match where I enjoyed the opening stretch as much as the ending stretch.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Also

HM: Travis Banks vs. Mike Bailey (02/02 Riptide Deep Six)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYH7oXjS5bg

Really good match and I was surprised by the cinematic production coming out of a small British indie. The picture quality is excellent for an indie promotion uploading their matches on YouTube but the constant panning and frequent cuts became a little distracting to me.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

abraham linksys posted:

205 live report: the main of Ali vs Murphy banged, woke up a dead crowd, showed the strengths of both dudes, and had a cool finish, recommend!!

I'd go HM on this one. Best of the tournament so far imo.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Do you have links to the individual matches? I really enjoyed the Mochizuki/Kzy match but I can't sit through a whole Dragon Gate show.

If not, I'll try to click through until I find them on Puroresu Dream.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

I Before E posted:

Despite a really nasty looking Tokyo Pimps I'd like to give a nod to Juice vs Yujiro from the 3/9 New Japan Cup show for HM. Some really fun work from Juice, and Yujiro didn't gently caress up too badly.

I thought it was really good but not quite HM level.

This one might be an unpopular choice for reasons unrelated to the wrestling but

MOTYC: Michael Elgin vs. Tomohiro Ishii (3/9 New Japan Cup)

kinda left a bad taste in my mouth but I can't deny it was a really good match.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

HM: Punishment Martinez vs. Marty Scurll (ROH 16th Anniversary 3/9)

that match ruled, Punishment more than made up for his stinker with Soberano