Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

I'm not sure if it deserves HM, but Beer City Bruiser vs Goto from Honor Rising Night 1 was a very fun match and BCB put up a better fight than I ever expected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Despite a really nasty looking Tokyo Pimps I'd like to give a nod to Juice vs Yujiro from the 3/9 New Japan Cup show for HM. Some really fun work from Juice, and Yujiro didn't gently caress up too badly.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

I'm throwing HM noms to Ibushi/Yoshi-Hashi and Naito/ZSJ from the 3/11 NJ Cup show. I considered MOTYC for ZSJ/Naito, but there's not quite enough context there to make it more special than being a really good match.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

I was on the edge of my seat for the first few, especially that Canadian destroyer, but eventually it just became comical how many times in a row he went for a big move for 2, like a particularly uphill FPR match.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Gumball Gumption posted:

I'm going to throw a HM to Chuckie T vs. Sanada from the 3/12 NJPW Cup show

I don't know exactly what it was but that match had me really invested and I love main event Chuckie T.

Agreed.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Price Check posted:

MOTYC - ZSJ vs Ibushi (3/15) - That match was tremendous. Even better than the Naito match. Told a great story with ZSJ having a counter for everything that Ibushi tried. Great finish too. I don't think it will be the best match of 2018 but I do think that HM is underrating it.

Seconded.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

They're a fantastic pair and I hope they have more matches against each other in the future.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

ElNarez posted:

MOTYC - Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Juice Robinson, New Japan Cup 2018 Semi-finals, 3/16/2018

Juice gives it his all, Tanahashi DOES NOT stay down, but instead of being inspiring, it's heartbreaking, because you're seeing someone making his pain worse. It was beautiful. It ruled.

Hell yeah, Juice has really come into his own.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

You will never fool me into believing Bray Wyatt was involved in something entertaining.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

RealFoxy posted:

Takagi is a loving genius and TJP is no different, he found a bunch of nobodies and they're starting to rival STARDOM, and most of the girls in TJP have been in the business less than 5 years. Except Riho who's 20 years old and has been in the business like 11 years. Tokyo Joshi Pro is like early STARDOM and ICE Ribbon where they're just churning out great wrestlers from nowhere.

Oh, TJP is a promotion, I thought you meant the WWE MRA who dabs

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Redemption living up to its name apparently

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Has anyone else dropped an HM nod on Jeff Cobb vs MiSu from the RevPro Mania weekend show? Because I will.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

MassRafTer posted:

PCO in one block, LA Park in the other block.

You already know the finals.

YTR vs POLICE MAN

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

HM: SZKG/Ishii and Yano
MOTY: Bucks/LIJ
MOTY: Hiromu/Billy Bird
MOTY: Omega/Okada

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

MassRafTer posted:

MOTYC: Juice Robinson vs Switchblade, best match of the show and Josh Barnett's roid rage did not hurt the match one bit.

Agreed, and HM for Hiromu/Lee and LIJ/Bucks

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

HM: Suzuki/Tana, G1 Night One

I wish there was a Most Overwrought And Tiresome Match Of The Year, because it would be unfair to say that Okada/White was a Worst Match contender, but jeez.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

HM: Ishii/YTR
MOTYC: Ibushi/ZSJ
HM: Omega/Naito

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Frankston posted:

Sorry but Zayn v Lashley has that on lock for this year and literally every other year ever

Worse than Booker/HHH?

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Night 4:
MOTY: yano/zsj
MOTY: Ibushi/Juice
MOTY: Ishii/Naito

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

MassRafTer posted:

HM: Makabe vs Evil. Really good stuff, loved the lariat duel at the end.

Yeah

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

HM: Ibushi/Yano
MOTY: ZSJ/SANADA - I'm just a sucker for rollups baby

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

HM: Naito/Juice
MOTY: Ishii/Goto

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

MOTYC: Zack Sabre Jr. vs. Tomohiro Ishii
HM: Kenny Omega vs. Juice Robinson
MOTYC: Kota Ibushi vs. SANADA

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

HM: Tama/ZSJ, perhaps the best Tama match so far. Like the Naito match, the interference actually serves to build to a climax instead of just cluttering the early going, and Tama's agility really meshes well with Zack's style, leading to some fantastic counter sequences.
HM: Juice/Yano
MOTYC: Ishii/Ibushi
MOTYC: SANADA/Kenny

I Before E fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Jul 28, 2018

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Selling is when you flop around like Dolph Ziggler after every move and the more you look groggy and flail around the more selling it is

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

HM: Juice/Sanada
HM: Naito/Yano
MOTYC: Kenny/ZSJ
MOTYC: Ibushi/Goto

Wild that for a guy calling himself Best Bout Machine Kenny is consistently having the third, maybe second best matches on the card

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

MOTYC: Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Kota Ibushi - G1 Climax 2018 Final

This deserves to be on the list for the strike exchange alone... then there was the moonsault double-knees :stare:

Hell yeah

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

MassRafTer posted:

MOTYC: Tanahashi vs Ibushi. Just the peak of two guys doing cool moves and acting like bad asses. Everything pro wrestling is about.

This is why naito lost to zsj: they can both act like badasses, but ZSJ knows what his coolest moves are and is always on the hunt for newer, cooler moves, whereas naito's repertoire is stagnant

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

MassRafTer posted:

Got to watch most of All In

HM: Janela/Page
MOTYC: Penta/Omega
MOTYC: Bucks/Ibushi vs Rey/Rey/Bandido

You could have a slightly better 12 minute match but it'd be tough. Remember, Savage/Steamboat was 14.

Second, also, I'm going to be spicy and drop an MOTY nomination on Ishii and Ospreay vs Golden Lovers from the Road To Destruction

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

What really pushed it to MOTY for me is a particular shot after an Ibushi/Ospreay acrobatic sequence, where Kenny moves towards Kota on the apron and tousles his hair before the two stare down Ospreay. Such a casual character move shot perfectly to cap off a great sequence.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

The All In Trios is one away from MOTY, someone should step up so Kenny isn't the only one with two MOTY candidates in 7 days

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Aphrodite posted:

Did the ref count it as a tag?

No

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

MassRafTer posted:

MOTYC: Ishii vs Omega, 9/15 Destruction

Absolutely great match, hot crowd, ended right at the peak.

Hell yeah, that bit where Ishii went to run the ropes, but turned around in midring to ambush Kenny because he knew Kenny was trying to get the drop on him was perfect.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

MOTYC: Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Kazuchika Okada for the 2019 Wrestle Kingdom Title Shot - NJPW Destruction in Kobe

I now firmly believe these two guys are literally incapable of doing anything less than a great match against each other :stare:

Goddamn that crowd was loud in the final stretch

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Aesop Poprock posted:

I wouldn’t even call it mma shorts it looks like he’s halfway through changing at a gym after a pickup soccer game. It’s not a cool look for sure

I'm excited for his new finisher, a PK Shattered Dreams called the World Cup

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

I understand the urge to winnow down the final list, but I think the MOTY category is the only one that really needs adjustment to reflect a more competitive field. The HM list can afford to be big and shaggy, it's mostly a list of recommendations, but if we use the MOTY list as the Pagodies (Rowdies?) nomination shortlist, it should be tighter.

I Before E fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Jan 3, 2019

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

I think the problem with increasing the number of nominations needed is that the list will end up being exclusively WWE/NJPW matches

Yeah, that's a good point. If I could give everyone the free time to watch every HM nominated, I would, but without that, the only chance small promotions have to make the list, especially if they don't have day and date VOD or streaming services, is that threshold.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

I barely have time to watch NJPW as is, I wish I could watch DG

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

MassRafTer posted:

The most logical way to do it is when a match is nominated everyone else on the forum who saw the match must rate it.

If the rating is above ****1/2, it becomes a MOTYC. If the average rating is between **** and ****1/2 it is a HMOTYC.

If the average rating falls below ***1/2 the person nominating it is probated. If it is below *** they are banned.

However if someone who rates the match is proven to not have seen the match but is attempting to get the nominating party punished, they must be banned.

If they saw the match and rate it more than *** lower than the average rating they will be probated for attempting to have the nominating party punished.

For WMOTYC the line starts at DUD. If the match is th

But what if someone gets thrown out of the ring into the electric panel?