Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

One event ago, at the Greatest Rumble, Dave gave

Matt+Bray vs Bar 2
Jeff/Jinder .5
Bludgeon Bros/Usos 2
Taker/Rusev 2
Brock/Reigns 1

Half the card didn't get above a 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Aphrodite posted:

The scale for WWE is totally different. It has to be really, truly unwatchable to get below 2.

It means a 2 is still really bad, but don’t expect to see a bunch of 1s or anything.

Backlash

Dave posted:

1. Ruby Riott pinned Bayley in 10:05 - 1.5
3. Nia Jax retained the Raw women’s title beating Alexa Bliss in 10:17 - 1.25
6. Carmella beat Charlotte Flair to keep the Smackdown women’s title in 10:00 - 1
8. Bobby Lashley & Braun Strowman beat Kevin Owens & Sami Zayn in 8:39 - 1.5
9. Roman Reigns beat Samoa Joe in 18:03 - 1.5

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

extradite THIS! posted:

MOTYC: Hiromu Takahashi vs Taiji Ishimori, BOSJ Finals, 6/4

i'll be amazed if this drops below my top two of the year. that was absolutely perfect

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

It's absolutely more than Match of just the Year

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Baron Corbyn posted:

MOTYC: Masashi Takeda (c) vs. Isami Kodaka for the BJW Deathmatch Title - BJW (6/20)

Maybe the best deathmatch I've ever seen. Just the name of the stipulation was enough to sell it to me, it was a Light Tubes, Giga Ladder & Glass Board Death Match. The Samurai TV broadcast is up on RealHero's Rutube page but I won't link it because BJW have their own (lovely) streaming service. Try and track it down if you aren't put off by deathmatches though.

2nding. Holy poo poo this was phenomenal

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Baron Corbyn posted:

MOTYC: Masashi Takeda vs. Konosuke Takeshita vs. Kazusada Higuchi vs. MAO - DDT MajiManji #10 (7/3)

This match was a perfect encapsulation of everything that's great about DDT with one of the best deathmatch wrestlers in the world thrown in for good measure. It has everything you'd want in a match - meat skewers in the head, the color commentator getting hit by a van, a guy having a firework shoved up his rear end and people trading chair headshots like they were chops in an NJPW match. Absolute insanity.

4th

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

MOTYC: Hiromu Takahashi vs Dragon Lee - G1 Special in San Francisco

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

It was probably not their best fight, but it stands out that it's still so overwhelmingly better than at least 98% of everything else

Feud of the decade

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Chris James 2 posted:

MOTYC: Hiromu Takahashi vs Dragon Lee - G1 Special in San Francisco

Hiromu broke his neck and still finished the match :stare:

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

HM: Ishii/YTR

nthing this

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

Two non-G1 recommendations to break things up

MOTYC: The Aggression (Katsuhiko Nakajima & Masa Kitamiya) vs. Hideyoshi Kamitani & Takuya Nomura - Riki Choshu Produce - Power Hall Vol. 2: Battle of Another Dimension (7/10)

Since turning heel, Katsuhiko Nakajima has been one of the best things in wrestling, unfortunately in a promotion that nobody watches. Here he demonstrates the best of his absolute dickhead qualities and his frustrations at the failure of his run as ace of NOAH on a couple of BJW young boys. The ending where Nakajima absolutely beats the poo poo out of Nomura for the knock out finish had my mouth agape for the entire two minute stretch.

nth. Good god that ending :stare:

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

John McClane posted:

MOTYC: Yano/ZSJ

Sometimes the hallmark of a good wrestling match is delivering exactly on what it promises as a piece of comedy and story
nth

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

MassRafTer posted:

MOTY: YTR VS ZSJ

nth

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

EugeneJ posted:

HM: PCO vs. Dan Maff, No Disqualification - WHAT VI - 7/8

PCO is my poo poo and I don't want to hear "Daniel" or "Bryan" anywhere near Comeback of the Year voting

Full match: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DoQ5xuNjmr4

nth, especially with the "PCO for COTY" sentiment. Absolutely incredible ride to witness from the Spring Break announcement on

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

MassRafTer posted:

MOTYC: Rush and The Briscoes vs LA Park, Penta 0M and King Phoenix, CMLL 8/3
nth

Jerusalem posted:

MOTYC: Kenny Omega vs Tomohiro Ishii - G1 Climax 2018 Night 14

I'd write something clever here but I haven't stopped screaming in terror yet.

nth

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Super No Vacancy posted:

hm shane strickland vs matt riddle evolve 108

2nd

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

They finally figured out what Reigns matches were missing: overbooked Shield bullshit

now he's the perfect sport entertainer

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

KungFu Grip posted:

Early but its earned it

MOTYC LA Park, Hijo el LA Park, Ultimo Guerrero vs. Rush, Barbaro Cavernario, La Bestia Del Ring, CMLL 9/17/18

3rd

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

WMOTYC: Undertaker vs. Triple H - WWE Super Show-Down - 10/06

A sad and ignominious reminder that both guys have finally reached a point where they can't really go in the ring anymore, with absolutely nothing being done to mask it with psychology or match structure. The latter was just a mess, nothing flowed in anyway or worked together with anything else. The best part of the match - which is no surprise - was HBK, and even he is looking old.

nthed

the match

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Venomous posted:

MOTYC: Andreza Giant Panda vs. Super Sasadango Machine, DDT “RYOGOKU PETER PAN 2018 ~FALL WRESTLING CULTURE FESTIVAL~”, 10/21

Nth

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

NienNunb posted:

2nd. This is legally binding Jerusalem, you goddamn coward.

3rd

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

SatoshiMiwa posted:

It's 100% amazing WWE has locked up most disgusting promotional tactic in the Observer awards in a year where we have the UFC using Conner attacking a bus with a dolly to promote a fight

Remember around Mania time when we thought WWE would have it locked up anyway, but for the Moolah battle royal and trophy

lol that's legit not even in the company's top 5 most disgusting promotional tactics for the year and there's still these last 2 full months left for it to get out of their top 10

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

YourHumbleMessiah posted:

HM: Taichi vs. Will Ospreay World Tag League Finals, 12/9/18

Just pretty fun match with a really great closing stretch!

2nd. Give Taichi his deserved nomination you cowards

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

forkboy84 posted:

Continuing my World Tag League watching and I'm shocked this hasn't been nominated by anyone before me

HM - New Japan - 29th November - Taichi and Zack Sabre Jr vs Minoru Suzuki and Takashi Iizuka

Some absolutely fantastic grappling between ZSJ and Suzuki, exactly what you would hope from these two locking up. Just snug. some good comedy with Taichi and Iizuka, some brawling in the crowd, a Let's go Taichi chant from the very right Korakuen crowd, and even some Iizuka chants.

Definitely the most much watch match of a consistently good tour.

nongdongfongbong posted:

HM: Zack Sabre Jr & Taichi vs. Suzuki & Iizuka

Suzuki making ZSJ work for the submission holds was great. It was an easy story to tell and they did it well. Taichi and Iizuka's little comedy bit worked well within the context of this match too, and didn't take anything away from the intensity. Mini mark-out segment with Iizuka seemingly remembering his pre-gimmick self.

nthing because Taichi deserves all the positive representation he can get here :getin:

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Jenkem Delivery posted:

HM: Los Guerreros Laguneros (Ultimo Guerrero, Gran Guerrero, Euforia) vs. Caristico, Mistico, Volador Jr - CMLL Viernes 11/30/18

MassRafTer posted:

WMOTYC

RAYO DE JALISCO, ATLANTIS Y BLUE PANTHER
vs
CANEK, MÁSCARA AÑO 2000 Y VILLANO IV

Canek could barely walk (I am not joking) and Rayo was only barely more mobile.

nthing both of these

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

MassRafTer posted:

MOTYC Aramis vs Eterno, Mask vs hair Lucha Memes 10/21.

One of the best matches of the year in any country.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLHNaJoRAis&t=4739s

3rd

Jenkem Delivery posted:

HM: Dragon Lee vs. DJZ - MLW Fusion Live 12-14-18 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhIrNFktJA8&t=1396s

2nd