Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

I look forward to spending another year shouting Dragon Gate matches into the void.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

MOTYC: Open the Dream Gate Championship - Kzy vs. Masaaki Mochizuki, Dragon Gate Korakuen Hall 2/7

What a loving match, Kzy's come a long way from his longtime role as an ugly jobber.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Baron Corbyn posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqVpAz8ndIw

This match absolutely deserves its accolades.

Please keep in mind that Gaora hosed up on their side of things so instead of a fully edited and multi-cam thing this show was no commentary hard-cam only. Leadiing into this match Kzy had managed to pin Mochizuki three consecutive times with flash pins in tags and trios matches, with each time Mochizuki cutting a promo after about how that won't cut it in an actual Dream Gate match, a true champion wins with a legitimate pin or submission. Also Kzy is super over and super good, but he's spent most of his career as a jobber and spent most of last year working to shake off that stigma (like actual storyline and character development, not just suddenly winning), and that this match is the biggest of his 10 year career.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Baron Corbyn posted:

That's the Gaora broadcast with full commentary and multiple camera angles.

Ahh poo poo, that's what I get for not clicking the video. I watched it hard cam only.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Have Golden Lovers ever crossed paths with Speed Muscle? I haven't watched all the DDT/Dragon Gate shows but that seems like something that be really loving good.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Dragon Gate

3/3, Championship Gate Night 1
HM - Open the Triangle Gate Championship Match: MaxiMuM (Naruki Doi, Masato Yoshino, Jason Lee) vs. Tribe Vanguard (YAMATO, Flamita, Yosuke♡Santa Maria)

A loving wild spotfest. Lots of classic Dragon Gate trios action, with a particular focus on Maria and Jason Lee that was really excellent and exciting. If this was a fully shot, edited, and commentated show at like Kobe World or something, i'd probably put this at MOTYC, but the single hardcam no commentary knocks it down just enough to HM status.

3/4, Championship Gate Night 2
MOTYC - Open the Dream Gate Championship Match: Masaaki Mochizuki vs. Ben-K

Mochizuki is on a loving mission in this title reign to make some new loving stars and get those young bois over. After having the best match of Kzy's career, Mochizuki has now had the best match of Ben-K's (admittedly short so far) career. Ben-K came out looking like a million bucks with a stellar performance and a great ending.

Korakuen Hall - 3/6
MOTYC - Open the Owarai Gate Championship Match: Ryo Saito vs. Shingo Takagi

In which Shingo Takakgi suffers a humiliating victory.

HM - Kotoka Retirement Match: Masaaki Mochizuki, YAMATO, Yosuke♡Santa Maria, Don Fujii, Kagetora vs. Kotoka, Naruki Doi, Masato Yoshino, CIMA, Dragon Kid

In terms of ring work and match psychology and all that poo poo this match isn't the greatest or anything, but great character work and subtle interactions and the crowd was super into it, plus it's a retirement match, so it got emotional. Great match for those deep into Dragon Gate.

Twin Gate match from Night 2 was also real good but not quite nomination worthy.

Dimebags Brain fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Mar 9, 2018

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Jerusalem posted:

Okay my interest is piqued, I gotta see this match.

Definitely not a match you can go in blind to and get a MOTYC out of, sadly.

The Owari Gate is DG’s comedy belt. It’s almost never defended on actual taped shows anymore, and people forgetting that it exists is a running joke. However, it was defended here. So Owari matches are comedy matches, and no matter who wins the actual match, they ask the crowd to cheer for who they thought was the funniest afterwards. The person with the loudest cheers becomes the champ.

Shingo is a super-serious main event level heel that the crowd hates. He has a Cornette-level disdain for comedy wrestling and absolutely despises “comedy wrestlers”. Ryo Saito is a popular midcarder who functions as a quiet unit workhorse or comedy wrestler. He has been feuding with Shingo for several months, and it finally culminated in this match, when he convinced Head Ref Yagi (who functions as DGs GM) to book the match, on account of Yagi being sick of Shingo’s heel antics. The lead to this match has been a month of Saito mocking Shingo for being stuck in this match and Shingo restating how much he hates this and really emphasiszing that winning the belt might be the lowest point of his career (hint hint audience).

It was great.

Dimebags Brain fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Mar 9, 2018

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Dragon Gate 4/1/ - Dragon Gate Network Launch Special

HM: Open the Brave Gate Championship Tournament Round 2 - Jason Lee vs. Dragon Kid

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

From Dragon Gate’s Gate of Passion, Korakuen Hall 4/6

MOTYC - Oedo Rules Elimination Match: Kzy, Susumu Yokosuka, Genki Horiguchi, “brother” YASSHI, Punch Tominaga vs. T-Hawk, Eita, El Lindaman, Shingo Takagi, Yasushi Kanda

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

WMOTYC: Terrible Metallica Wannabes vs. Good Music - NXT Takeover: New Orleans, 4/7

HM: Adam Cole vs. Killian Daim vs. Ricochet vs. Lars Sullivan vs. Velveteen Dream vs. EC3, NXT Takeover: New Orleans, 4/7
Lots of really good spots that were cool but a lot of times found myself thinking I'd much perfer if this match was just a six-way match. All the ladder stuff, from climbing them to setting them up, felt slow and awkward, and killed the flow of the match enough times to prevent it from being a MOTYC to me.

Dimebags Brain fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Apr 8, 2018

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Baron Corbyn posted:

MOTYC: Shingo Takagi vs. Yuji Hino - AJPW Champion Carnival (April 15)

The match of the Champion Carnival so far and my match of the month. Just two big boys throwing bombs at each other. Try to find a way to watch this one..

Third. Shingo is a beast.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Baron Corbyn posted:

Nthing the Okada/Tanahashi and Ospreay/KUSHIDA matches.

I think there was a match earlier on in the thread that would have made the cut under the new rules of mixed HM/MOTYC noms adding to the HM list because I remember Jerusalem replying to a match I posted saying he thought it was an HM not an MOTYC and I was confused about it not making the list but I can't remember which one it was.

Mochizuki/Kzy, probably.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

TTBF posted:

It's almost undoubtedly going to be DragonGate or All Japan due to the quality of matches and the lack of eyes on those products compared to many of the larger promotions worldwide. I'd like to watch them but I don't have the money to be signing up for so many streaming services.

Don't worry, just "nth" my nominations.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

From 5/6, Dragon Gate: Dead or Alive 2018

HM: Open the Triangle Gate Championship - Natural Vibrations (Kzy, Yokusuka Susumu, Genki Horiguchi) vs. MaxiMuM (Masato Yoshino, Naruki Doi, Jason Lee)

A high HM. A hell of a spotfest, and if you've never seen a Dragon Gate six man, than this could very well be a strong MOTYC for you.

MOTYC: Open the Twin Gate Championship - Antias (T-Hawk and Eita) vs. Big Ben (Big R Shimizu and Ben-K)

What if we just had a good old-fashioned tag match where the faces the crowd wants to win fight the heels the crowd wants to lose and everyone is really good?

MOTYC: Dead or Alive Cage Match - Shingo Takagi vs. El Lindaman vs. Yasushi Kanda vs. Punch Tominaga vs. YAMATO vs. Masaaki Mochizuki vs. Ryo Saito

A giant loving clusterfuck. Even though there were times it dragged, goddamn it was the most fun I've had watching wrestling in a long time.

Hell of a show!

Dimebags Brain fucked around with this message at 06:28 on May 8, 2018

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Dragon Gate 5/8, Korakuen Hall - King of Gate Day 1

HM - King of Gate Round 1 - Eita vs. Naruki Doi

Match was mostly alright, but the stretch from the ref bump to the finish was excellent and exciting.

MOTYC - King of Gate Round 1 - Kzy vs. YAMATO

Kzy in a singles match at Korakuen seems to be a recipe for great matches.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

NienNunb posted:

Miyahara/Marufuji is legitimately one of my matches of the year, everyone should watch it and get it the nominations it deserves.

Same but also the DoA Cage Match.

5th Kento/Marufuji

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Dragon Gate Korakuen Hall, 6/1

MOTYC: King of Gate Semifinals - YAMATO vs. Naruki Doi

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Dragon Gate 6/9 and 6/10, King of Gate Finals
Two unedited, no commentary, hardcam only shows that are eventually going to be edited into a single Infinity show for those who want better production values.

6/9
HM: King of Gate Finals - YAMATO vs. Masato Yoshino

6/10
MOTYC: Open the Twin Gate Championship - Big Ben (Big R Shimizu & Ben-K) vs. Tribe Vanguard (Yosuke Santa Maria & KAGETORA)
HM: Open the Dream Gate Championship - Masaaki Mochizuki vs Masato Yoshino

Real good weekend for wrestling.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

From Dragon Gate, Korakuen Hall 7/5

HM: Open the Triangle Gate Championship - Natural Vibrations (Kzy, Yokuska Susumu, Genki Horiguchi) vs. Don Fuji, K-Ness, Ryo Saito

Real good triangle match, "Young Boy" Ryo Saito was a loving beast in this match, throwing some smooth loving suplexes before Don Fuji murdered Kzy with one of the most painful looking Germans I've seen in a long time. And of course, Susumu and Horiguchi are basically the masters of exciting trios wrestling.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Dragon Gate Kobe World 2018

MOTY: Open the Twin Gate Championship - Big Ben vs. Tribe Vanguard (YAMATO and BxB Hulk)

Holy poo poo, this was a loving war. Started out seeming way too slow but it made snese as it built into an earned honest-to-god epic feeling match. Might be my favorite match I've seen all year. After sleeping on it, this is my current Match of the Year. Go out of your way to see it.

MOTYC: Open the Dream Gate Championship - Masato Yoshino vs. Shingo Takagi

A low MOTYC. It was real good and was building up to be a classic Kobe World headlined and then it just ended just as it felt like it was entering the beginning of the finishing stretch. Another 5/10 minutes would have made this amazing.

HM: Naruki Doi, Jason Lee, and Bandido vs. Yosuke Santa Maria, KAGETORA, and Flamita

This was the spotfest that the Triangle Gate match was lacking. Was a good match and then the finishing Flamita/Bandido stretch happened.

Dimebags Brain fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Jul 22, 2018

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Dragon Gate Korakuen Hall, 8/7

HM: Open the Twin Gate Championship: YAMATO and BxB Hulk vs. Naruki Doi and Big R Shimizu

If you’ve been following Dragon Gate this year, than the gently caress finish was expected and long awaited, otherwise it’s a good match until that point. Surprisingly sloppy from a Dragon Gate Match but whatever. Also suffered by being the immediate follow up to the Kobe World twin Gate match (the best match of the year), and repeating some spots.

Dimebags Brain fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Aug 9, 2018

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Dragon Gate, Gate of Origin 2018

HM: Antias (Big R Shimizu, Ben-K, Shingo Takagi, Yasushi Kanda) vs. MaxiMuM (Naruki Doi, Dragon Kid, Kaito Ishida, Jason Lee)
HM: Open the Triangle Gate Championship Match: Natural Vibrations (Kzy, Susumu Yokosuka, Genki Horiguchi) vs. Tribe Vanguard (Kagetora, Yosuke♡Santa Maria, U-T)
MOTYC: Open the Twin Gate Championship Match: YAMATO and BxB Hulk vs. Don Fujii and Ryo Saito

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Dimebags Brain posted:

Dragon Gate, Gate of Origin 2018

HM: Antias (Big R Shimizu, Ben-K, Shingo Takagi, Yasushi Kanda) vs. MaxiMuM (Naruki Doi, Dragon Kid, Kaito Ishida, Jason Lee)
HM: Open the Triangle Gate Championship Match: Natural Vibrations (Kzy, Susumu Yokosuka, Genki Horiguchi) vs. Tribe Vanguard (Kagetora, Yosuke♡Santa Maria, U-T)
MOTYC: Open the Twin Gate Championship Match: YAMATO and BxB Hulk vs. Don Fujii and Ryo Saito

Thinking about it, gonna throw out an HM to the Dream Gate Match.

HM: Open the Dream Gate Championship: Masato Yoshino vs. Takashi Yoshida

Yoshino got a good 25 minute singles match out of Cyber Kong, which is an achievement deserving of some sort of recognition.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Dragon Gate, Dangerous Gate 2018

HM: Open the Brave Gate Championship - Eita vs Dragon Kid
Might be overrating it a bit, but I'm way in to the DK/Eita feud that's been simmering for the past year or so. Feels particularly vicious for Dragon Gate and it's a nice change of pace from things. This match had better flow than their last Brave Gate match and a nice story of DK being able to reverse the shenanigans that Eita used in that match to win.

MOTYC: Open the Twin Gate Championship - YAMATO and BxB Hulk vs. Masaaki Mochizuki and Shun Skywalker
Hulk/YAMATO are a great pairing, and the structuring and flow of their Twin Gate matches have been really inspired and epic feeling. Mochizuki has great chemistry with everyone because he's Mochizuki, and Shun Skywalker was in full starmaker mode tonight. Looked liked a bonafide main-eventer.

Dimebags Brain fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Sep 25, 2018

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Dragon Gate Korakuen 10/2

HM: Tribe Vanguard (YAMATO, Kagetora, Yosuke♡Santa Maria, U-T) vs Mochizuki Dojo (Masaaki Mochizuki, Shun Skywalker, Hyo Watanabe, Yuki Yoshioka)
HM: Shingo Takagi and BxB Hulk vs Eita and XPAC!

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Dragon Gate's Gate of Destiny 2018

HM: Open the Twin Gate Championship Match: Tribe Vanguard (YAMATO & BxB Hulk) vs. R.E.D. (Big R Shimizu, Takashi Yoshida)

MOTYC Open the Triangle Gate 3 Way Championship Match - Natural Vibes (Kzy, Susumu Yokosuka, Genki Horiguchi) vs. MaxiMuM (Naruki Doi, Jason Lee, Kaito Ishida) vs. Mochizuki Dojo (Masaaki Mochizuki, Shun Skywalker, Yuki Yoshioka)

MOTYC: Open the Dream Gate Championship - Masato Yoshino vs. Ben-K

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Dragon Kate Korakuen Hall 11/6

MOTYC: 4 Way 6 Man Tag Team Match - Natrual Vibes (Kzy, Susumu Yokosuka, Genki Horiguchi) vs. MaxiMuM (Naruki Doi, Masato Yoshino, Jason Lee) vs. Tribe Vanguard (YAMATO, BxB Hulk, Flamita) vs. R.E.D. (PAC, Big R Shimizu, Ben-K)

Crazy fun clusterfuck spotfest. The exact type of match one watches Dragon Gate for and no other promotion can really pull off.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

BOLA 2018

Night 1
HM - Bandido vs. T-Hawk
HM - Flamita vs. Puma King
HM - WALTER & Timothy Thatcher vs. Shingo Takagi & Ilja Draugnov

Night 2
HM - Shingo Takagi vs. Ilja Draugnov
MOTYC - Stronghearts vs. Rey Horus, Flamita, and Bandido

Night 3
MOTYC - Flamita vs. Bandido
MOTYC - WALTER vs. Shingo Takagi (Match of the weekend, IMO)
MOTYC - Shingo Takagi vs. Bandido vs. Jeff Cobb

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

forkboy84 posted:

HM - Masato Yoshino vs PAC - Dragon Gate Fantastic Gate 4/12

They really meshed well, a big match for Dragon Gate's top belt, the Open the Dream Gate belt, the crowd was hot from the off when Pac jumped Yoshino during the British national anthem with a grin on his face, at one point PAC's R.E.D. teammates had to be held back by MaxiumuM members, there were hard hitting moments, crazy flying stuff like Pac's springboard corkscrew moonsault which very nearly wiped out a fan, it's definitely a fun match worth seeking out.

2nd on that HM. If I hadn't been spoiled on the winner it probably would have been a MOTYC as I'd have bought into the near falls more. As it stands, it doesn't come close to Yoshino's defense against Ben-K last month (which was spectacular and everyone should go watch it).

From the same show

MOTYC - UT vs. Shun Skywalker
Dragon Gate used the same formula they used a couple years ago to get Big R and Takehiro Yamamura over in a single match and if it's not broke don't fix it I guess. Excellent match from two guys with maybe a combined in-ring career of like, 5 years total.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

From Dragon Gate's Final Korakuen Hall of 2018, 12/18.

HM: Flamita & Bandido vs. PAC & Daga
Sloppy in the beginning but then turned into nothing but amazing high spots the match.

HM: Doi Darts 2018 Special Ten Man Tag Team Match: Dragon Kid, K-ness., Ben-K, KAZMA SAKAMOTO, & KAI vs. Yuki Yoshioka, BxB Hulk, “brother” YASSHI, Naruki Doi, & Dragon Dia

The three way tag was also real fun but not nomination worthy.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Dragon Gate Dangerous Gate 2018

HM: Daga vs Masaaki Mochizuki
MOTYC: Open the Twin Gate Champion Team 4 Way Decision Match - YAMATO & Kagetora vs. Big R Shimizu & Ben-K vs. Naruki Doi & Masato Yoshino vs. Flamita & Bandido

Match of the Year, Big R did a goddamn flip.

Fell asleep during the main event, will have to go back and watch it again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

I've been futilely shouting Dragon Gate matches into the void all year with zero feedback, so it's not like making it even harder for a match to get on the list will realistically affect me.