Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

Viscardus posted:

Oh, wow, I didn't even think of that. How does the game handle that? Just guess what the new rules will be? Given that we're talking about Brexit I assume none of this is being planned more than five minutes in advance.

Brexit has a bunch of potential outcomes ranging from nothing much happening (soft brexit) to Northern Ireland and Scotland splitting off from the UK. This link talks about implementation in FM17, but AFAIK, nothing changed except it caan start triggering at 2019 instead of 2018. (Amp link because of issues with main site Just a problem with https, normal link now) http://www.thehighertempopress.com/2017/05/fm17-guide-brexit

Viscardus posted:

I didn't really expect that to work, but sure! As a Canadian, I'm tired of my country's national team embarrasssing itself by losing to Central American and Caribbean minnows (even if our good friends the Americans decided to join us this year). I don't remember exactly what goes into talent generation into this game, so I'll just ask that you do whatever you think appropriate to increase Canada's chances of qualifying for a World Cup down the road. :canada:

In the FM14 LP I had a similar idea if I won a second time to your Canada impovement which was to give them a bunch of wonderkids named after Canadian hockey players or wrestlers. Not sure how much that would help them though.

Dreamsicle fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jan 5, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viscardus
Jun 1, 2011

Thus equipped by fortune, physique, and character, he was naturally indomitable, and subordinate to no one in the world.

Dreamsicle posted:

Brexit has a bunch of potential outcomes ranging from nothing much happening (soft brexit) to Northern Ireland and Scotland splitting off from the UK. This link talks about implementation in FM17, but AFAIK, nothing changed. (Amp link because of issues with main site) https://www.google.com/amp/www.thehighertempopress.com/2017/05/fm17-guide-brexit/amp/

Interesting. I haven't actually played an FM game since 14 so I didn't know about any of this. I'd hope there would be an option to pick one scenario or another if you want to, though.

Dreamsicle posted:

In the FM14 LP I had a similar idea if I won a second time to your Canada impovement which was to give them a bunch of wonderkids named after Canadian hockey players or wrestlers. Not sure how much that would help them though.

Yeah, I figured I'd leave it up to Habeas's discretion for how to do it in a way that would help them without being too weird or silly. If he prefers to just make some wonderkids that's fine with me, as is changing variables so that they'll get more good kids to spawn as the game goes on. Or some combination, or something else entirely, whatever. Back in FM14 I remember changing a couple numbers somewhere was eventually enough (after a decade or so, I think) to have Canada make the World Cup, but even then they were extremely shallow because despite having a couple stars (including one who broke the EPL record for goals in a season while playing for me) there just weren't that many Canadian players being generated. I figure Habeas knows the game better than I do, so I'll leave the details up to him.

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011
Habeas, out of curiosity, does FM18 have the SSV Jahn Regensburg in its files? They were recently promoted (back) to 2nd Bundesliga.

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

Viscardus posted:

Interesting. I haven't actually played an FM game since 14 so I didn't know about any of this. I'd hope there would be an option to pick one scenario or another if you want to, though.

Unfortunately you can't pick the outcome or even savescum to get a desired one

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Lynneth posted:

Habeas, out of curiosity, does FM18 have the SSV Jahn Regensburg in its files? They were recently promoted (back) to 2nd Bundesliga.

Why wouldn't it? Doesn't Football Manager go down to like the 4th or 5th Liga in Germany?

I have no particular opinion on what team we should play, though I would find it interesting to take a team from a city that has like three different teams or so and making it the dominant one, though I'm not coming up with an example that would be sufficiently crazy to pull off apart from bringing 1860 München back from the depths of the Regionalliga.

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011

TheMcD posted:

Why wouldn't it? Doesn't Football Manager go down to like the 4th or 5th Liga in Germany?

Does it? I've never played it before, and I don't remember how deep FM14 went.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
In producing Football Manager 17+, Sports Interactive undertook probably the largest amount of analysis, research and reasoned speculation ever done by a single organisation into the effects of Brexit, including the actual UK Government, whose in-depth industrial analysis contains passages such as "we've investigated the aviation sector and discovered that Airbus make planes".

If it were feasible I might've asked to see a file where we play another low-league English team in a nuclear Brexit scenario in which the UK dives off a cliff with no deal and Scotland and Northern Ireland both break off, climbing the ladder as per usual but with the leagues in chaos from all the sudden deportations. But otherwise I'm good with whatever, really.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
For the boon, I suggest giving all brazilian soccer players canadian citizenship, revoking their brazilian citizenship in exchange.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
Aylesbury

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

So I have not yet read the thread, since I literally just found it, but I wanted to pop and swear at you a bit habeasdorkus. Rereading you old LP over the summer made my dumbass pick up 2017 during the summer sale, despite the fact that I don't know a single goddamn thing about soccer.

I spent some time trying to learn the game, bounced off and failed, tried again and failed that time too. I was just about to clear it off my HD to make space.

And now this! :argh:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

ShootaBoy posted:

So I have not yet read the thread, since I literally just found it, but I wanted to pop and swear at you a bit habeasdorkus. Rereading you old LP over the summer made my dumbass pick up 2017 during the summer sale, despite the fact that I don't know a single goddamn thing about soccer.

I spent some time trying to learn the game, bounced off and failed, tried again and failed that time too. I was just about to clear it off my HD to make space.

And now this! :argh:

Put a big lad upfront and hoof it from the back, it's the Wimbledon way :clint:

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
I personally root for S.S. Robur Siena Sure they had to go bankrupt and be refounded, but they have a lot of heart!

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Oh dear, they don't give you an automatic Continental Pro training badge anymore?

I wouldn't hire myself in a million years with those stats!

chiefnewo
May 21, 2007

habeasdorkus posted:

Oh dear, they don't give you an automatic Continental Pro training badge anymore?

I wouldn't hire myself in a million years with those stats!

I wouldn't hire that guy as a PE teacher, let alone a soccer coach.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

CommissarMega posted:

If we're going global, I'd like to nominate my own state of Selangor FA (pronounced Slang-or Eff-Ay :v:), because if you can with a footy game with Malaysians, you are pretty much on par with divinity.

If they can simulate the laser pointers we might have a chance.

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

San Marino is a good shout, as part of the fun are you going to do the "full" San Marino challenge?

Kingal
May 29, 2013
I remember getting my arse kicked by the great Wrexham in the first round of an unofficial knockout tournament (wish i could find that post again).

Can't wait to see what you've got in store this time and i'm glad i'm getting in on the ground floor.

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

The original Wrexham lp is my favorite in the forums, I've re-read it several times.

Very excited to see you back and I would love to see what happened in the old save.

fucking love Fiona Apple fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Jan 9, 2018

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Shoot this guy in the face.

Fallen Rib
I stumbled across the FM14 LP about halfway through and enjoyed the hell out of it.

I know almost nothing about football myself but I will most definitely be following along with this.

Also, calling it now that once you become the God Queen of San Marino that you’ll be managing every game from the Iron Throne.

Grillfiend
Nov 29, 2015

Belgians ITT
(ie Me)

Is it to late to make my case for Queen's Park? Take control of Scotland's oldest football club, return her to former glory and piss off both Celtic and Rangers fans by making this (hardcoded amateur) club Glasgow's biggest. They start with a 52k seater stadium (Hampden Park, which is also Scotland's national grounds) that usually only draws a few hundred fans at game start.

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

habeasdorkus posted:

The story behind FC United of Manchester is amazing, it's the fans who were pissed off at the sale of the club to American owners who decided to literally take their ball and go home. That's a strong choice, especially as they're already a fan trust so board elections will happen on the regular.

that's so good I'm putting my vote on that, if there's still time.
Rise to the top and Manchester United be the weird sounding one.

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

Grillfiend posted:

Is it to late to make my case for Queen's Park? Take control of Scotland's oldest football club, return her to former glory and piss off both Celtic and Rangers fans by making this (hardcoded amateur) club Glasgow's biggest. They start with a 52k seater stadium (Hampden Park, which is also Scotland's national grounds) that usually only draws a few hundred fans at game start.

Based on his last post, Habe's already picked San Marino.

Insertnamehere31
Jan 23, 2012

This could be the most one-sided fight since 1973 when Ali faced an eighty-foot tall mechanical Joe Frazier. My memory isn't what it used to be, but I think the entire Earth was destroyed.

Hell yes, good to see you back and lping FM again! The San Marino challenge sounds fun and sufficiently challenging, but a part of me would have liked us to play as one of these computer generated english teams. Seeing the meteoric rise of Falmoughbasgagliell & Tuwrove Fore or witnessing the storied derby between Sheat and Farton would have been great.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Dreamsicle posted:

I really like San Marino since we've been in England before, but AFAIK there's one less trophy to win in Serie A and the Coppa Italia isn't as cool as the FA Cup to me. It's a tough pick.

Out of curiosity, are there any cool French or German minnows? I really want someone to break the PSG/Bayern stranglehold.

Too late for this LP, but for France there's Red Star FC in Paris. Second oldest club in France, founded by Jules Rimet (indeed, that Jules Rimet, the guy the original World Cup trophy was named for), working-class club based in North Paris.

On an unrelated note, super excited for this Habe!

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Livorno, FC United or Manchester or San Marino please and thank you

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

They completely changed scouting! How am I supposed to get basic reports from having my scouts watch game tape on every single one of the youth academy players across Italy?!

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

Did the guidetofootballmanager site at least update to cover the changes?

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
I am incredibly enthusiastic to see this new madness.

Cthulhumatic
May 21, 2007
Not dreaming...just turned off.

habeasdorkus posted:

They completely changed scouting! How am I supposed to get basic reports from having my scouts watch game tape on every single one of the youth academy players across Italy?!

I've been pretty displeased with the scouting changes since 2015. Especially the skill range bullshit - TELL ME HOW GOOD HE IS, GODDAMMIT.

beru04
May 4, 2013

Stop making me realise things.
It's back! I'm so ready for this!

If we've already been the God King of Wales, my vote is to become the God Queen of the Greeks, with Blyth Spartans

Viscardus
Jun 1, 2011

Thus equipped by fortune, physique, and character, he was naturally indomitable, and subordinate to no one in the world.
So I impulse bought FM18 and now I'm tempted to play San Marino myself and follow along a bit (I'll probably cheat and give myself a Sugar Daddy owner, though). What mod are you using to unlock Serie D, Habeas (or anyone else who knows)? The ones on the Steam workshop apparently don't work (according to the comments, at least).

Also, this manager appearance feature seems really half-assed. How do you manage not to include an option for black hair?

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

Viscardus posted:

So I impulse bought FM18 and now I'm tempted to play San Marino myself and follow along a bit (I'll probably cheat and give myself a Sugar Daddy owner, though). What mod are you using to unlock Serie D, Habeas (or anyone else who knows)? The ones on the Steam workshop apparently don't work (according to the comments, at least).

I found this: https://sortitoutsi.net/downloads/view/37730/italian-serie-d-for-fm18-by-elcobra

I hope it works for you.

Viscardus
Jun 1, 2011

That seems to be the same one I found on Steam, which had comments about how there were no fixtures after the first season. Added pressure to get promoted right out of the gate, I suppose. :v:

Edit: Oh, never mind, it looks like that version supposedly has the bug fixed. Thanks.

Viscardus fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Jan 13, 2018

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Prologue the Third: Over the Rainbow
June 26, 2017

Boston
June 26, 2017

(THE COACH sits before a public terminal at the BOSTON PUBLIC LIBRARY, googling frantically)

: (perplexedly) What the heck, the only result for Tackleford leads to a danged webcomic? I am definitely not in Kansas anymore.

: (cleverly) Well, at least I can get a jump on signing ol' Meteor, he should still be at AIS.

: (bemusedly) He doesn't exist either? Wait... What about Joaquin Morales?

: (Disconcertedly) No? Huh. But this Lionel Messi hombre certainly seems to bear more than a passing resemblance, though.

: (techily) Well, this is frustrating.

(A SHADOWED FIGURE appears in a PUFF OF SMOKE behind THE COACH, causing a LIBRARIAN to shush them)

: (tediously) I didn't say where you'd get a second chance, now did I? Also, it wouldn't be sporting for you to know where all of the best young players are, would it?

: (grumpily) Fine, but how do you expect me to get a job like this? I don't even have a birth certificate.

: (coyly) Oh, I have some favors I can call in.

(The two vanish in a PUFF OF SMOKE, as a LIBRARIAN shushes them again)

The Offices of San Marino Calcio
June 26, 2017

(A SHADOWED FIGURE and THE COACH appear in the office of IL PRESIDENTE, who jumps at the sudden PUFF OF SMOKE)

: (speaking Italianly) Madonna! What are you doing back here, stronzo?!

: (imperiously) I told you, I scratch your back, you scratch mine. It's time to pay up. My demand is... that you make this woman your manager.

: (confusedly) What? That's it?

: That and give her the same rope you would any other manager, and remember that I'll know if you don't.

: (interjectingly) Uh, could you all speak American? I really can't understand you?

: (musingly) Huh, installing this random puttana will get me fired, but for the sake of my soul, how can I not?

: (affrontedly) Hey! I know enough Spanish to know you just called me a bitch! gently caress you, buddy!

: (smarmily) Oh, I mean no offense, principessa.

: (devilishly) This will be so much fun to watch.

(The SHADOWED FIGURE disappears, leaving behind THE COACH and yet another sulfurous PUFF OF SMOKE, somewhere in BOSTON a LIBRARIAN has the urge to shush yet again)

: (sighingly) I hate it when he does that.

: (agreeingly) Si.

habeasdorkus fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jan 15, 2018

Viscardus
Jun 1, 2011

I'm very excited for this. I've been playing San Marino myself (in easy mode, because I gave myself a sugar daddy owner) and boy are the Serie D youth requirements brutal. Have fun having at least 4 U-20, 3 U-19, and 1 U-18 player on the pitch at all times. :v:

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009
:allears:

New Football Manager LP!

As someone who knows nothing about football, where is San Marino and what is the local league setup? Would it be similar to Wrexham in terms of size / setup?

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

PotatoManJack posted:

As someone who knows nothing about football, where is San Marino and what is the local league setup? Would it be similar to Wrexham in terms of size / setup?

San Marino is in Italy, and this is their team. Hrm, someone better update that page, because they just got a new Head Coach! ;)

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009

berryjon posted:

San Marino is in Italy, and this is their team. Hrm, someone better update that page, because they just got a new Head Coach! ;)

I'm confused, that link seems to suggest that they are a national team representing San Marino on the world stage. I thought that they were a league team in some backwater Italian league?

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Yeah, San Marino Calcio are a pro team who play in the Italian leagues despite being from San Marino. All hail the Titani!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

berryjon posted:

This is the team Brown is playing with.

I hope the unbugged version of Serie D is being used. :ohdear: