Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

I implore you to go watch today's PTE before you continue reading this thread, don't even glimpse at social media, just go

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
There's no :vince: big enough

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
gently caress, the rerun transition got me harder than anything.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Ignis posted:

I implore you to go watch today's PTE before you continue reading this thread, don't even glimpse at social media, just go

I still wasn't ready.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Like every ep of PTE, the rerun has a different VA. This time, it's the Narrator, Koichi Yamadera, doing the B-side.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Audibly gasped when I saw the title

duz posted:

I still wasn't ready.

:same:

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

secretly best girl posted:

gently caress, the rerun transition got me harder than anything.

The best part was they performed everything twice. Even the OP! They absolutely didn't need to, but they did it :aaaaa:

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
I wasnt expecting a THE FIRST TAKE parody on ep 6 either

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I get it. I finally understand what it means to be thinking about Hellshake Yano.

Doctor Epitaph
Dec 22, 2008

Ignis posted:

The best part was they performed everything twice. Even the OP! They absolutely didn't need to, but they did it :aaaaa:

I had to go back and check this to make sure and SURE ENOUGH.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
HELLSHAKE
HELLSHAKE
HELLSHAKE
HELLSHAKE

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

I can't believe they did it, the madmen actually did it

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Are there any other anime that are just this....bizarre? I've loved this show since it premiered in 2018, but I can't think of anything at all like it. I've heard comparisons to Robot Chicken, but how the series involves the work of so many different animators, it's got more of a Cartoon Sushi vibe to me.

I can also only imagine how beyond bkub's wildest dreams that this show would end up being. It just goes from being this weird yonkoma with these two foul-mouthed gremlins taking shots at anime and manga and their culture to this unhinged show.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Masterclass of the medium.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
oh my loving god

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Star Man posted:

Are there any other anime that are just this....bizarre? I've loved this show since it premiered in 2018, but I can't think of anything at all like it. I've heard comparisons to Robot Chicken, but how the series involves the work of so many different animators, it's got more of a Cartoon Sushi vibe to me.

I can also only imagine how beyond bkub's wildest dreams that this show would end up being. It just goes from being this weird yonkoma with these two foul-mouthed gremlins taking shots at anime and manga and their culture to this unhinged show.

Surreal comedy anime are an entire genre.
Notably theres nichijou which similarly occasionally delves into being way too well animated for a gag a minute anime.

But PTE is kind of unique since its all collabs and cameos from the beginning.

HOWEVER
AC-bu are just Ac-bu and theres no one like them
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EKTw50Uf8M

Fuckin legendary

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.
I was not ready

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Rigged Death Trap posted:

AC-bu are just Ac-bu and theres no one like them

Fuckin legendary

My first exposure to them was some 13 years ago with some indie music videos they made. I'm happy to see them growing up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qB4ZRk_gZw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_os8HqfxHc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSFjSIM3oMc

I post this just to say I've been liking their stuff before they were famous (and before even knowing who the hell they were). :cool:

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
I thought Shining Shoulder would be peak but who knew there'd be a surprise challenger in Hellshake Yano

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

I thought Shining Shoulder would be peak but who knew there'd be a surprise challenger in Hellshake Yano

smh if you aren't always thinking about Hellshake Yano

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Star Man posted:

I don't think there's any other TV anime that I would call experimental like I might with Pop Team Epic, and a good chunk of that is them deciding to give money to AC-Bu and letting them do whatever the gently caress. I mean it's not just them, the bit with the french studio in the first season I would throw in that category, but still.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

TriffTshngo posted:

smh if you aren't always thinking about Hellshake Yano

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Sorry, too busy thinking about Hellshake to read the thread.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
I thought nothing could save anime, but I was wrong. Pop Team Epic has saved anime.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
Today on PTE2: our heroines play Fortnite.

A side: Asami Sanada and Kyoko Hikami (Di Gi Charat)
B side: Kenyuu Horiuchi and Akio Ohtsuka (who's apparently a big fan) (They've crossed paths a bunch of times over the decades so it's hard to single out any one show.)

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
That was clearly PUBG

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Today on PTE2: our heroines play Fortnite.

A side: Asami Sanada and Kyoko Hikami (Di Gi Charat)
B side: Kenyuu Horiuchi and Akio Ohtsuka (who's apparently a big fan) (They've crossed paths a bunch of times over the decades so it's hard to single out any one show.)

I mean, they make a MGS joke

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Ignis posted:

I mean, they make a MGS joke

Oh I don't know the JP VAs for most video games lol

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
That ED was nuts. Was it a reference to any specific bands or was it just a general psychedelic rock style?

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

It's supposedly a reference to this person's MAD videos
https://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm32118887
https://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm34083348

This show has some real deep cuts
https://twitter.com/hachurart/status/1594756406611165198

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

https://twitter.com/GoodSmile_US/status/1595976340586790912?s=20&t=i1s8yE6dhQBuiMIzqpCguw

Good Smile is releasing a figure based on the Biggus McHugeGuy episode

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
There's a couple things I loved about today's episode. The characters in the throwback first bit were spot-on; you could absolutely see them being some rando in a 90s shonen anime. I also liked that crunchy decided to give those bits yellow subs; just a nice little touch.

The Final Fantasy 14 segment was just for me, though.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Full on Evangelion voice actors this week, girl side was Megumi Ogata and Yuko Miyamura (Shinji and Asuka) while boy side was Fumihiko Tachiki and Mugihito (Gendo and Keel).

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Capturing the authentic Titan EX experience

Edit: Appreciate both 80's segments using Yellow colored subs for that VHS release experience

SatoshiMiwa fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Nov 26, 2022

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

For people not up to date with ff14 memes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NApxz5bSl20

Which led to
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6tEi-6BLsw&t=4

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Nov 26, 2022

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I just want to thank whoever chose to use the thick outlined yellow subtitles for the 'aged show' segment. Not quite as strong as the Train Fight, but I like those nonetheless. The guy pulling out a lightsaber was also pretty ace. I don't know if it's just a tokusatsu thing but it seems like in 84-94 Japanese media had quite a thing for trying to do the lightsaber special effects (Kamen Rider ZO and Bioman both use 'em.)

The AC-bu segments are simply masterpieces at this point.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Nov 27, 2022

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

I love that they absolutely nailed the color palette for that era of anime.

Also, for some reason, that Brazil theme park is a real place that's somehow still in business.

RillAkBea fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Nov 27, 2022

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
And they have a restaurant called "GOONIES."

Suddenly it becomes a moral imperative.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Doodles posted:

And they have a restaurant called "GOONIES."

Suddenly it becomes a moral imperative.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
Love how Cthulhu (or Cthulhu Jr., judging by that family photo) is a recurring character now.