Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

the guy who voices yakko is not only still alive, he still does voices for shows. he had pretty serious cancer that needed treatment, though, so he doesn't have the endurance he once had

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

Statutory Ape posted:

i mean i grew up in the 90s but if youre an adult that wants to watch animaniacs in 2018 jfc

lol if you're too bitter to wanna see funny cartoons again. I'd love to see good reboots of Animaniacs and Freakazoid

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES
i want them to bring back that old bitty squirrel lady that lipo-suctions a dudes fat out of his guts and sprays it onto his popcorn bag at the cinema

Split Pea Superman
Dec 16, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Sid Vicious posted:

Um perhaps you have not yet seen the crowning achievement of television that is Fuller House

I got hyped for new Bill Nye :suicide:

EugeneJ posted:

Roseanne has Norm Macdonald writing for it, so it has to be good

Well I'll probably watch a couple episodes of that now, but didn't Norm's sitcom flop?

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
and Anvilania

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

What about Minerva Mink?

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Skypie posted:

lol if you're too bitter to wanna see funny cartoons again. I'd love to see good reboots of Animaniacs and Freakazoid

A rebooted freakzoid would have to top atmas cya a few years ago though.

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
don't remember who that is

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Split Pea Superman posted:

Well I'll probably watch a couple episodes of that now, but didn't Norm's sitcom flop?

Yes but that's probably because he also acted in it and he's a loving terrible actor.

He wrote on the original Roseanne so if you didn't care for it back in the day you needn't bother with it now.

central dogma
Feb 25, 2012

Come to the Undead Settlement in the next 20 mins if u want an ash kicking

Tom Gorman posted:

yeah its great

my niece and nephew love it, it's fun to sit and watch with them. it's a lot like the comic, and Donald is actually a main character

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKSU82afy1w

Is that illustrated? I'm pleasantly surprised it didn't get the cgi treatment.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Skypie posted:

bitter? no, i just have no interest in watching a rehash of something designed for 7 year olds

except star wars

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
There’s no way Animaniacs could get away with what made it good back in the day. Our current social consciousness would never allow it. Better to just let it die.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

The Bloop posted:

Would unashamedly watch the gently caress out of this.

Let's get dangerous, motherfuckers!

Darkwing Duck had a pretty funny boom studios comic, out of print now but the internet has it. It made fun of World of Warcraft players in one issue.
He's set to appear in new Ducktales as well, someday.

The_end
May 17, 2014
Great, another media company attempting to cash in on the nostalgia market.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

The_end posted:

i mean this is how it has been since antiquity

Metal Cat
Dec 25, 2017
I remember discussing this with my friend some time ago, and his take was that since Animaniacs relied on a formula that used pop culture references from older decades, it wouldn't work well now because it'd be lame 90s/00s stuff instead. Also, Seth MacFarlane ran the idea into the ground and made people hate references being used as springboards for jokes.

Hopefully the writers will be clever and it'll be alright.

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

Split Pea Superman posted:

Every good show that's gotten re-booted in the past few years has only led to disappointment :(. Here's to hoping they still got the magic.

I'm not sure if it was ever a good show but I was trapped in a hospital room while a marathon of the new Will and Grave played and it's super weird in the modern world because it's the most wildly straight way to depict gay people. None of the gay characters are ever depicted in a relationship or even flirting with someone. Will is more volcel than gay as he is outright stated not to have even looked for a relationship or date in over five years. Jack makes jokes that suggest he likes men but he is never seen interacting with them.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Moon Atari posted:

I'm not sure if it was ever a good show but I was trapped in a hospital room while a marathon of the new Will and Grave played and it's super weird in the modern world because it's the most wildly straight way to depict gay people. None of the gay characters are ever depicted in a relationship or even flirting with someone. Will is more volcel than gay as he is outright stated not to have even looked for a relationship or date in over five years. Jack makes jokes that suggest he likes men but he is never seen interacting with them.

Jack sucked off will in the season finale. The annoying woman with the voice watched

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Then again will hosed grace so I guess it's a wash

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

The_end posted:

I mean, in all fairness wasn't that literally exactly what the original Animaniacs was?

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
The new DuckTales is pretty good, my kids like it. Done right a new Animaniacs should be popular with kids as well.

Hot take, John K is a bitter old pervert who's lucky Nickelodeon gave him a TV show when they did.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Applewhite posted:

I mean, in all fairness wasn't that literally exactly what the original Animaniacs was?

It was a show for kids who would not have anything to be nostalgic about and referenced current events of the time so no

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Metal Cat posted:

I remember discussing this with my friend some time ago, and his take was that since Animaniacs relied on a formula that used pop culture references from older decades, it wouldn't work well now because it'd be lame 90s/00s stuff instead. Also, Seth MacFarlane ran the idea into the ground and made people hate references being used as springboards for jokes.

Hopefully the writers will be clever and it'll be alright.

ah yes, seth macfarlane, noted for creating tv shows people hate

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Blue Train posted:

It was a show for kids who would not have anything to be nostalgic about and referenced current events of the time so no

Yeah but it was a throwback to the zany madcap cartoons of the 40s.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Applewhite posted:

Yeah but it was a throwback to the zany madcap cartoons of the 40s.

That makes it derivative

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Shoulda been Tiny Toons.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Blue Train posted:

That makes it derivative

Seems like you're splitting hairs here.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

mind the walrus posted:

Shoulda been Tale Spin.

ftfy

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Applewhite posted:

Seems like you're splitting hairs here.

a sentimental longing or wistful affection for the past, typically for a period or place with happy personal associations.

A child wouldn't have those associations. I suppose it would be nostalgic for an adult watching it but even then there were not direct callbacks to previous eras like you see in for example stranger things, nostalgia king

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
The thing is, a lot of those older references wouldn't have been unfamiliar to kids watching Animaniacs because all the same old Looney Tunes cartoons that they riff off of were also still airing at the time. There were also many contemporary 90s pop culture references that at least older kids would understand as well.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

contemporary references made up the bulk of the show tho

Metal Cat
Dec 25, 2017

Statutory Ape posted:

ah yes, seth macfarlane, noted for creating tv shows people hate

I probably have a distorted view of it, given that on the internet the people that often rag on Family Guy also tend to be the ones who praise early 90s cartoons.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Applewhite posted:

There’s no way Animaniacs could get away with what made it good back in the day. Our current social consciousness would never allow it. Better to just let it die.

tell us more about how our current social consciousness is bad and dumb and for snowflakes

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

tell us more about how our current social consciousness is bad and dumb and for snowflakes

You seem awfully sensitive about this considering who you're replying to

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

half the reason the original Animaniacs was so good was because it was a loving expensive production. every episode had super fluid animation that lead to a dramatically higher frame count than all other animated shows on the air and they had a full 35-piece orchestra performing brand new, original scores for every episode

basically the new one is gonna suck because you can't even get that kind of talent anymore for double the cost the original was to produce

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

get that OUT of my face posted:

the guy who voices yakko is not only still alive, he still does voices for shows. he had pretty serious cancer that needed treatment, though, so he doesn't have the endurance he once had

He was on Gilbert Gottfried's podcast recently and it's a really good listen.

Best skit on the show:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uWW--w4SRs

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

This will be good because I never grew up past my teen years and I will like anything from that even if it's just the title and nothing else and becau

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

lol you are reading way too much into my statement. It was a neutral observation on the state of things made without judgement.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

EugeneJ posted:

Name the bitter person who wrote this:

John K? Then again there wasn't any sucking of Bob Clampett's dick in that wall of text so idk :shrug:

Also this is simultaneously great and worrying news. Every time they exhume the corpse of an old show it's hard to 100% look forward to it because the odds of them loving it up are so high, and at worst it can even take a bit of the magic out of the original show. And honestly, the best you can expect is more of the same formula. That being said, this nostalgia cartoon trip of new Rocko and new Animaniacs has my inner little girl loving screaming her head off. And a return of quality shows is better than shoveling out some new but garbage idea for the sake of novelty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Applewhite posted:

I think it's more that all the jokes would be incredibly dated.

• Locked thread