Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

the rocko's modern life movie trailer looked good, hopefully they don't gently caress it up

Jose Oquendo posted:

He was on Gilbert Gottfried's podcast recently and it's a really good listen.
that's where i heard him recently, in fact. you have good taste

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Rocko's modern life was extremely good

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

^^^ this, it's an underrated gem.

I agree that animation fluidity is going to be a serious issue, even if by some miracle everything else is right. I know goons hate the pony show but it seriously has some of the best Flash animation I've seen on a TV series budget/timeline. That would have to be the bare minimum Animaniacs shoot for. People would lose their loving poo poo if they had that stiff janky marionette look cheaper Flash animation can have.

Also all of this is cool but where the gently caress is my Duckman reboot

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

get that OUT of my face posted:

that's where i heard him recently, in fact. you have good taste

Gilbert's podcast is really good and if you have any interest at all in music/movies/tv you should check it out.

Atomic Robo-Kid
Aug 18, 2008

.Blast.Processing.

extra row of teeth posted:

That being said, this nostalgia cartoon trip of new Rocko and new Animaniacs has my inner little girl loving screaming her head off. And a return of quality shows is better than shoveling out some new but garbage idea for the sake of novelty.

I too am real excited for Rocko. Animainiacs not so much, but Pinky and the Brain were pretty great.

Has anyone seen the Hey Arnold! Jungle movie? I haven't and I'm trying to keep my expectations low so it doesn't disappoint me.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Jose Oquendo posted:

Gilbert's podcast is really good and if you have any interest at all in music/movies/tv you should check it out.
also if you have interest in the bizarre sexual desires of old hollywood stars. louis ck jacking off in front of women has nothing on cesar romero demanding young men throw orange wedges at his bare rear end

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

i, too, am worried about whether or not a cartoon will be good or bad

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Arrhythmia posted:

Worrying about the quality of cartoons accounts for probably 28% of my daily anxiety.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Arrhythmia posted:

I was an animation major in college so every cartoon thread summons me to nerd out about it :smith:

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Animaniacs really did have a lot of stuff that absolutely would not fly today, so it will be interesting to see how they avoid that legacy.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
I dunno, there was an episode of Batman a few years ago where Canary, Black Cat and Huntress sing about superheroes' dicks.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Depends on the targeted age group. Is it gonna be for kids? For adults? For kids but with lots of *wink nudge* jokes for the adults too?

Although poo poo like finger-Prince or would never fly anymore, cartoon censorship has overall gotten more lax in many aspects. If the writing is as clever as it was back in the day, they'll be fine. Honestly the scary thing would be if it had Adult Party Cartoon Syndrome where it takes it's lack of censorship and goes hog wild, raunchy or overly-violent for the sake of it.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Finger Prints

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

I definitely wouldn’t want it to turn into ren and stimpy, but clearly marking a target audience is super loving important and a good marker of whether they’re gonna gently caress it up

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Depends on the targeted age group. Is it gonna be for kids? For adults? For kids but with lots of *wink nudge* jokes for the adults too?

Although poo poo like finger-Prince or would never fly anymore, cartoon censorship has overall gotten more lax in many aspects. If the writing is as clever as it was back in the day, they'll be fine. Honestly the scary thing would be if it had Adult Party Cartoon Syndrome where it takes it's lack of censorship and goes hog wild, raunchy or overly-violent for the sake of it.

I don’t think there’s much danger of that TBH.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Dot kills and dismembers wakko and yakko has to help her hide the body

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Blue Train posted:

Dot kills and dismembers wakko and yakko has to help her hide the body

Glad you liked my fanfic

Applewhite posted:

I don’t think there’s much danger of that TBH.

Yeah, not with Spielberg at the helm. That's a good sign though I'll reserve judgment until a trailer comes out.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

get that OUT of my face posted:

also if you have interest in the bizarre sexual desires of old hollywood stars. louis ck jacking off in front of women has nothing on cesar romero demanding young men throw orange wedges at his bare rear end

So ios that what that scene in the Godfather is alludign to?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I was an animation major in college so every cartoon thread summons me to nerd out about it :smith:
So what's your take on how the original has aged? I checked out the old episodes on Netflix and while they're certainly what I remember, the animation was way stiffer and lower-quality.

I think the new version could be good, but even in the best case it's a cash-in before kids from the mid-90s are too old to pony up for it. I also have no idea how cultural references will fly. The landscape is so diversified and different, and the creators are that much older. What well are they going to draw from here? It's like when Futurama came back and you could see just how aged and out-of-touch the writers were from their Gen-X heydays.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

mind the walrus posted:

So what's your take on how the original has aged? I checked out the old episodes on Netflix and while they're certainly what I remember, the animation was way stiffer and lower-quality.

I think the new version could be good, but even in the best case it's a cash-in before kids from the mid-90s are too old to pony up for it. I also have no idea how cultural references will fly. The landscape is so diversified and different, and the creators are that much older. What well are they going to draw from here? It's like when Futurama came back and you could see just how aged and out-of-touch the writers were from their Gen-X heydays.

The animation has stiffness issues here and there but so did EVERY show from that era. The problem is no matter how talented the in-house crew was, they still had to ship it overseas for in-betweens (the drawings between key frames. For example if you wave your arm from left to right, the hand in the left position and the hand in the right position would be the key drawings and the actual waving in between would be the inbetweens).

I'm not sure how much of it is handled 100% inhouse these days thanks to digital stuff making it MUCH easier to draw, color and sync up, but there is definitely more of that happening than before the digital animation era. The QC in this era is much better too because it's easier to see flaws via digital reviewing and cel painting/color fuckups are a thing of the past.

EDIT I cannot stress how much work animation is. Even digitally. Every lovely administrative/data entry job I've had has been less tedious than animation work. It is A FUCKLOAD of work and effort and that's why it's so expensive to produce.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

The animation has stiffness issues here and there but so did EVERY show from that era. The problem is no matter how talented the in-house crew was, they still had to ship it overseas for in-betweens (the drawings between key frames. For example if you wave your arm from left to right, the hand in the left position and the hand in the right position would be the key drawings and the actual waving in between would be the inbetweens).

I'm not sure how much of it is handled 100% inhouse these days thanks to digital stuff making it MUCH easier to draw, color and sync up, but there is definitely more of that happening than before the digital animation era. The QC in this era is much better too because it's easier to see flaws via digital reviewing and cel painting/color fuckups are a thing of the past.

That all makes sense. Black Smithers we hardly knew ye.

quote:

EDIT I cannot stress how much work animation is. Even digitally. Every lovely administrative/data entry job I've had has been less tedious than animation work. It is A FUCKLOAD of work and effort and that's why it's so expensive to produce.
I'm aware from a layman's perspective, insofar as I know I don't get it.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 48 minutes!

EugeneJ posted:

That's a pseudonym

Tim Kaine

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Oh good!

Its been ages since ive been disappointed by the poo poo, trying to hard, no longer funny because things change, return of something I liked.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

John Kricfalusi posted:

Disgusting, wretched voices. You know the kind - obnoxious, grating...the kind of voices that make your neck-skin crawl crawl and shiver

That's Scouse for you...

Twelve Batmans
Dec 24, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Blue Train posted:

I'll watch Fuller blouse all day. Dunno what it's about

Four plus size models all in the same house!

"Uh-oh Sarah, that ice-cream tub was supposed to feed a family of six!"

*record-scratch, zoom-in on dumpy-face, queue laugh-track*

cda
Jan 2, 2010

by Hand Knit
Rita and Runt sucked

cda
Jan 2, 2010

by Hand Knit
When you think about it, besides the actual Animaniacs, Pinky and the Brain, and Scrappy Squirrel, everything else either sucked (Rita and Runt, Goodfeathers) or was just a single gag run farther into the ground than you would think possible (Chicken Boo, Katie Kaboom, Buttons and Mindy).

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

cda posted:

When you think about it, besides the actual Animaniacs, Pinky and the Brain, and Scrappy Squirrel, everything else either sucked (Rita and Runt, Goodfeathers) or was just a single gag run farther into the ground than you would think possible (Chicken Boo, Katie Kaboom, Buttons and Mindy).

I remember watching that Katy Kaboom, was she the hulk-girl? And I was thinking "who is this even for?" Same with the Goodfeathers one. Its jokes about teenagers or film parody but for babies who wouldn't have a clue about those things.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I liked Goodfeathers.

But it was extremely one note.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Drunken Baker posted:

I remember watching that Katy Kaboom, was she the hulk-girl? And I was thinking "who is this even for?" Same with the Goodfeathers one. Its jokes about teenagers or film parody but for babies who wouldn't have a clue about those things.

Katy Kaboom was a visual gag skit for kids watching who had a teenage sister that would just melt down at the drop of a hat.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

cda posted:

I didn't like Scrappy Squirrel either.

And while chicken boo was one joke repeated over and over, it was a truly excellent joke.

cda
Jan 2, 2010

by Hand Knit

The Walrus posted:

I didn't like Scrappy Squirrel either.

And while chicken boo was one joke repeated over and over, it was a truly excellent joke.

I personally love Chicken Boo but it's not really defensible.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Really the best part of Chicken Boo was the song.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

cda posted:

I personally love Chicken Boo but it's not really defensible.

it made me laugh every time so I'm maybe just a simpleton or it's actually good

I don't think you can say buttons and mindy were one-note any more than roadrunner and coyote were one-note. actually I guess you might have an argument there, but at least buttons and mindy changed up locations. the one on the under construction skyscraper was always my favourite. poor buttons :(

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Freakazoid! was the best of the 90s Warner shows and I refuse to believe otherwise. :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzbE0wpqeKc

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
gently caress off Og Oggilby

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

EugeneJ posted:

Name the bitter person who wrote this:

I remember the time they let this guy reboot his most famous show for Spike TV and at some point Stimpy was being threatened to repeat his role in his and Ren's friendship; if I recall correctly it was a whole bunch of "You're the pitcher, I'm the catcher!" John K was too blind to see that Nickelodeon's limitations kept the show successful by being whimsical and just gross enough. He thought throwing out the whimsy and turning up the shock factor to 11 was what was needed. Lol

Also The Ripping Friends sucked

ElectricSheep fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Jan 5, 2018

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

gently caress off Og Oggilby

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

god that photo is so old

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Budohead
Feb 13, 2011

Head Case

cda posted:

Rita and Runt sucked

What exactly was the idea behind an ambiguously sexual torch singer cat in a kids' show anyway

Oh yeah because they tried going full blast but very quickly weren't allowed to anymore

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wCiyprbEcI

• Locked thread