Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Srice
Sep 11, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qg0i0nm35TE

quote:

Akira Fudo learns from his best friend, Ryo Asuka, that an ancient race of demons has returned to take back the world from humans. Ryo tells Akira that the only way to defeat the demons is to incorporate their supernatural powers, and suggests that he unite with a demon himself. Akira succeeds in transforming into Devilman, who possesses both the powers of a demon and the soul of a human. The battle of Devilman and Akira Fudo begins.

Devilman Crybaby is an adaption of the classic Go Nagai action/horror manga Devilman. Directed by Masaaki Yuasa (Tatami Galaxy, Ping Pong The Animation, and many other fine anime) and animated by the fine folks at Science Saru (many of whom worked alongside Yuasa's other projects). It's going for a different artstyle than the original, but while the old OVAs are badass in their own way this could finally be an adaption that does the source material justice while telling the full story instead of just a small piece.

Netflix will be putting up all 10 episodes tomorrow. Brace yourself for what will likely be one of the best shows of the season, if not the whole year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ww06yGPM7Kc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Holy Queef
Jul 13, 2003
No, it is not gross, in fact, it's funny, yeah, think of it that way.
The original came out 46 years ago. Not feeling old for once is refreshing. Now I have an excuse to renew my Netflix sub.

edit: Toei Animation doesn't have a finger in the new adaptation I hope? They did great with DBZ but butchering DBS turned me off so bad. I'd really like to see it with a different style

The Holy Queef fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Jan 5, 2018

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

It's cool to see a Nagai anime get this much of a push and production behind it. Guess that matches nagai's own feelings on devilman vs most of his other stuff, haha.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The Holy Queef posted:

The original came out 46 years ago. Not feeling old for once is refreshing. Now I have an excuse to renew my Netflix sub.

edit: Toei Animation doesn't have a finger in the new adaptation I hope?

They have no involvement, it's all on Science Saru.

livingfruitvirus
Nov 20, 2002

Grrr

Motto posted:

It's cool to see a Nagai anime get this much of a push and production behind it. Guess that matches nagai's own feelings on devilman vs most of his other stuff, haha.

Netflix Japan wants more subscribers, so their first real push is with a Go Nagai title.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

10 episodes at once is too much....

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Holy poo poo yuasa and devilman, I'm so down for this

MSPaintClock
Dec 30, 2006

FF7 rules.
When can I start watching it? I need this.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

MSPaintClock posted:

Best case scenario is probably around midnight tonight.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
i dont know a thing about devilman but this is prob the thing i'm most excited for this season.

if we could adopt tv iv rules for netflix shows, where you lead with what episode # you're talking about and spoiler tag mostly everything else, that'd be cool imo

MSPaintClock posted:

tomorrow baybee

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
HOLY gently caress WHAT THIS COMES OUT TOMORROW??

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"
Devilman will make you cry, baby.

I am (not) sorry.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's a pretty safe bet it'll make me cry because the ending of devilman is tragic to begin with, much less with a competent re-imagining.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Hype for Netflix and watching the show

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

It is January 5th and it's not up on Netflix yet

psyer
Mar 26, 2013

littleorv posted:

It is January 5th and it's not up on Netflix yet

It will be up midnight PST.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
shoot!!

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
1st ep was exactly what I was expecting. op is an odd choice

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos

Davincie posted:

10 episodes at once is too much....

Try watching them one after the other instead.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
lmao this owns

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

the chad run

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Haha what? Reminds me of

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QFwo57WKwg

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

I don't really know much about Devilman but this has most definitely caught my attention. Does it require much knowledge at all, or should I just dive right in?

il-landier
Jan 28, 2008

CrashScreen posted:

I don't really know much about Devilman but this has most definitely caught my attention. Does it require much knowledge at all, or should I just dive right in?

Dive right in, it's a straight up reboot/adaptation

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Just what I wanted to hear!

Cheap Diner Coffee
Aug 7, 2010

Philistine.
Big Yuasa Fan Here, just finished it

yo this poo poo was a loving MESS

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

Never read the manga, just finished it. It was good, I have nothing to compare it to but I liked it

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Fat_Cow posted:

Never read the manga, just finished it. It was good, I have nothing to compare it to but I liked it

i did, but i liked this. gotta say, the face monster was a fuckload more horrifying in the manga though

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
Loved it but it's a massive shame Ryo's design retained none of the incredible charm of the original. Rest of the art was great and even retained some of that lovely Nagai awkwardness in places which I got a huge kick out of.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
Also it should have been hornier about you-know-who, imo

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I'm two episodes in and uhhhhhhhhhhhh

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I'm one episode in and uuuuuhhhhhh

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

uhhhhhhhhhh

ahhhhhhhhhh

wooooooooo

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

:kimchi:

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I feel like that guy who keeps bragging he can handle spicy curry and then someone gives him some actually spicy curry and he starts visibly turning red while eating it insisting it's fine and he can handle it while coughing into his napkin between bites

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Sounds good then.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Five episodes in, and I’d call it an excellent adaptation that takes into account what the source material was trying to do and does it better in almost every conceivable way (give or take how enthusiastic you were about the original human character designs).

The catch, of course, is that you need to be on board with what the original was trying to do in the first place, and it’s totally reasonable to not be. Or, in other words, if a work’s perfect at being what it is, then that depends on you liking what it is. In this case, pure grimdark, pessimistic id with tits, rear end, ultraviolence, and a weird sense of humour, often all at the same time, where bits of charming character writing are a double-edged sword because you know these goofy kids are about to either do something terrible or have something terrible done to them.

Bloodyshinta1
Aug 6, 2010
Hope they go with the art style of the Amon spinoff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MSPaintClock
Dec 30, 2006

FF7 rules.
I finished it, I'm sad now. :(

• Locked thread