Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Calvin Coolposts
Jun 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
I'm like two volumes away from finishing Lady and all of the criticisms of it are true but for some reason I like it anyway. It's really jumbled and doesn't make a lot of sense and holy gently caress there's a bunch of weird stuff in it, but there's some really cool parts and there's the potential for a good story in there somewhere. Basically I think someone should make an anime out of it where they get rid of all the rape and cut the story down to bare essentials.

Also I really liked the random volume-long random discussions about theology or whatever but that's probably just because i'm a boring dork to begin with so it was right up my alley.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alopex
May 31, 2012

This is the sleeve I have chosen.

DisDisDis posted:

Before I go away if you like problematic gays and ultraviolence read Yuureitou

That sure did a hard swerve at the end from historical mystery thriller into full goddamn Saw and then a cyborg with a gun for an arm and some real weird sex stuff. Cool that the gays get a happy ending tho

Slightly Absurd
Mar 22, 2004

I was intrigued by this show from all its praise, but I was left disappointed.

It really would've benefited from having a couple more episodes to breathe, or maybe they could've cut a few minutes from the dumb pointless free-style rapping to flesh out some of the seemingly cool characters like psycho jenny or zenon.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

there should have been extra episodes to flesh out the free-style rapping

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

we were robbed of a musical episode that was just all rapping

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
this show would be grades worse without the rapping

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Expect My Mom posted:

this show would be grades worse without the rapping

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

If you enjoyed the rapping, I'd like to recommend Tokyo Tribe by Sion Sono:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAKDrBe38Qo

It's this, but a feature film.

edit: Kind of hard to find a good clip. The mumbling guy isn't the best, but y'know, it evens out because nearly everyone raps all the time.

And More fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Feb 22, 2018

Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

I willed too hard again...

Xinder posted:

he kinda did? if you consider merging a kinky sex move, which i obviously do

Devil gettai is hardly sex when the offerer has to pop their head off before touching and enjoys 0% of it. It's like praying mantis/black widow sex except you reverse the steps

Culinary Bears
Feb 1, 2007

I spent two weeks unable to put my finger on what that badass drop in Judgement was reminding me of, and it finally hit me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsKFo0VT2wk

:geno:

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
https://twitter.com/meow_nightcat/status/963072340551544844

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

lol

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

i require more of this in particular

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

Devilman Lady remake looking good.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
wow bless this artist

https://twitter.com/meow_nightcat/status/965536437998268417

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
That ended on a bleak note. The original manga similar in that regard?

Not flawless by any means, but affecting. Some good Yuasa.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Rinkles posted:

That ended on a bleak note. The original manga similar in that regard?

No. Everyone gets married and is happy forever.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Did not know Devilman and Violence Jack were related storywise.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

really insignificant point, but were there any hints about how Taro (Miki's little brother) became possessed by a devil?

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
He seemed really excited about all the demons and violence, maybe that made him more vulnerable. I don't think there's any details about how exactly or when it happened.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
The internet did it to him

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
The show does a really bad job of giving any sort of reason Taro turns into a demon. Through the show he just acts like a regular, rambunctious kid.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

maybe it's because there is no reasoning for becoming a demon, and it's stupid to hate people for it

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

dogsicle posted:

maybe it's because there is no reasoning for becoming a demon, and it's stupid to hate people for it

Well, he did kill and eat his mother.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

hey lets be reasonable
she was probably alive when he started eating her

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

The ending looked like a rather overt homage to the end of evangelion (visually), but it occurred to me that the original Devilman itself likely greatly inspired Anno.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Rinkles posted:

The ending looked like a rather overt homage to the end of evangelion (visually), but it occurred to me that the original Devilman itself likely greatly inspired Anno.
Yeah Anno has mentioned Devilman being an influence on him in interviews before.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
In the manga, Phase Two of the demons’ operation (after putting trusted, valuable elites into worthy vessels) was to just start possessing random people in order to spread terror and confusion and make humanity rip itself apart. That certainly fits with an actual little boy getting targeted.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I'm telling you, he looked at too much messed up poo poo online and they got him

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
Just noticed this extremely hosed up similarity

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

I dont really care what any of you think about this after reading this page but this left me without words. Masterpiece. I love Yuasa so much and Im so happy this exists

Bloodyshinta1
Aug 6, 2010

Rinkles posted:

really insignificant point, but were there any hints about how Taro (Miki's little brother) became possessed by a devil?

it seems like they just made a bunch of small changes to the plot to keep it interesting, so many things I've read about in this thread are people asking "why did they do this", and im starting to think there probably wasn't a really good reason for it other than just shaking things up.

Calvin Coolposts
Jun 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
Ah, I just read the volume of Devilman Saga that's translated into English and it was really good! You can tell Nagai is putting a lot of thought into it, everything was unfolding slowly but not boringly, and there wasn't any rape in it, so that was a very welcome change of pace from Lady. But my decision to not take Japanese in college for my foreign language bites me in the rear end again, because it ends on a cliffhanger and the guy that was translating it is very adamant about only translating the first volume for whatever reason. Oh well, hopefully Crybaby was popular enough that somebody else picks it up eventually.

edit: it was also drawn a lot better than Lady was, I assume because he was using both hands to draw this time :derp:

Calvin Coolposts fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Mar 5, 2018

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
do I have to quote that amazing Lady page a third time

Calvin Coolposts
Jun 22, 2004

Fun Shoe

DisDisDis posted:

do I have to quote that amazing Lady page a third time

nah, I'm mostly just poking fun, there was a lot of really great art in Lady too. Saga was just a little more consistent if that makes sense.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

Calvin Coolposts posted:

the guy that was translating it is very adamant about only translating the first volume for whatever reason

lol thats dumb

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
https://twitter.com/pimmimo/status/971934419996037120

Slightly Absurd
Mar 22, 2004

https://twitter.com/lushsux/status/971622492312780801

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

that is uniquely awful