Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"
Devilman will make you cry, baby.

I am (not) sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

Frankly, I thought this was a great watch. If I had to give a rating to Devilman Crybaby, it would be about 8/10. Admittedly, the pacing might have benefitted from an extra episode or two to make the flow feel natural. I think that much is hard to deny. Why did they end up with just ten episodes though? That's such a strange number for an anime production.

Like Darth Walrus mentioned, I would argue this adaptation was all about being true to the core underlying themes of Devilman. Obviously, I mean the themes as interpreted by Masaaki Yuasa himself since this anime reflects his personal style and vision quite strongly, including his own ideas about psychosexuality and the relationship between humans and demons as viewed through a surrealist perspective. His goal wasn't to provide an extremely literal animated version of every single panel from the manga.

In short, we did get to see the original ending of Devilman and the same general framework with some of the same key events but with lots of individual modifications to the narrative along the way.

Which is fine by me. I don't think you hire someone as creative as Masaaki Yuasa to direct a project without giving him the freedom to convey his feelings and thoughts about Devilman. Said freedom brings the potential for both great and not-so-great decisions that will not be equally appreciated by everyone in the audience, yet that is precisely how a lot of artistic content works in this world.

The specific changes vary in terms of concept and execution quality, yet I would argue most of them worked for me. I had no problems with Ryo's and Akira's backstory here, at least not once they decided to focus on it. I wasn't too convinced by what they tried to do with Jinmen (the turtle) in the fourth episode, but appreciated that they gave Silene and Kaim a little more to do here than in the Devilman manga before their fight. Which I thought was also decently adapted despite not being too long.

I am in special disagreement with Davincie about the added sports content being a bad thing. On the contrary, I had a lot of questions about that approach at the start of the anime, yet by the end it all made sense to me once they had taken the metaphor to its logical outcome and tied it to the story's conclusion.

Furthermore, I think Miki's portrayal was an overall improvement here in terms of giving the girl a greater role and additional relevance to the themes, despite admitting that I do tend to prefer her fiery attitude from the manga. To be clear about this: Miki was more of a comedic relief character in the original manga until the unforgettable final sequence, which I would add was also one of the strongest episodes of the adaptation.

I was indifferent to the reporter. He wasn't necessary, but I think he fit right in. Oh, I also liked this version of Miko.

Mind you, I can understand why someone who just wanted a straightforward adaptation might not feel satisfied with the results. But for me it's entirely possible to appreciate the original manga and this version on their own terms. After all, we get to enjoy more content that way and see different takes on the subject matter. Which Go Nagai seems to be totally fine with, according to the interviews he's given about the project.

wielder fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jan 7, 2018

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

eonwe posted:

i liked that there is a shinji's hand scene

Devilman inspired Evangelion which in turn has influenced Devilman.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

eonwe posted:

oh it actually inspired eva?

There are several interesting quotes on the subject throughout this interview:

http://devilman.wikia.com/wiki/User_blog:Painocus/Interview_between_Nagai_and_Hideaki_Anno

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

Devilman Lady does appear to be...not exactly good, but that ending sounds hilariously crazy.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

Vedius Pollio posted:

I get how people would actually be pretty bummed out by that, but I could not stop laughing at the back-and-forth in that scene. He changes his mind like, seven times. I thought it was a hilarious visual gag.

To be honest, I think even a real person would tend to hesitate a lot under the circumstances, in ways that would seem hilarious to a third party. I suppose it's a matter of whether or not you can feel enough sympathy during the scene.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

I believe most descriptions of Ryo's character presented above are missing or downplaying some nuances that were still provided by Yuasa's anime in both subtle and blatant ways.

First, I would say the underlying point of the whole flashback with the wounded animal wasn't just to show us that young Ryo was willing to kill a living creature, which seems like the most obvious reading on the surface, but to suggest that young Akira could tell Ryo wasn't being honest about (or wasn't fully aware of) his own repressed feelings and was hiding them underneath his cold rationalization. Perhaps that behavior can also be considered as sociopathic, by our generally accepted model of proper social skills, yet the implication is that Ryo always had the potential for acting like a more normal and well-adjusted person.

He wasn't a completely lost cause. Remember that, during Crybaby, we see Akira and Ryo on friendly terms during their first meeting and a few of the early episodes. It's not a huge amount of scenes, but they are still present in the anime and, together with the flashbacks, help explain why Akira trusts him.

What's more, until Ryo learns the truth about his own past and decides to consciously ruin everything, his radical actions during this anime can be considered as extreme or even fascist yet still technically motivated by a desire to save humanity as a group even if it meant sacrificing the few in favor of the many. He was already being subconsciously influenced by his "true" self, no doubt, but the initial discussion in Ryo's apartment during episode 7 that began to separate him from Akira wasn't about Ryo wanting to destroy the entire human race. Note Akira visibly starts to disobey him after this point and does his own thing with the Devilmen. It's only the second part of the discussion, after Ryo goes to a meeting of government people and sees that they're messing up, that Ryo goes ahead and tells Akira how humanity will probably just destroy itself. That's when he takes on a more fatalistic character and Ryo does appear increasingly influenced by his own true nature by then.

Second, there was clearly a shift in Ryo's characterization for this anime adaptation because his manga counterpart had a moderately different emotional balance, but it isn't that he's just a "sociopath" in Crybaby all the time either. Nor was Ryo entirely normal in the original source material to begin with, which would also be rather inaccurate since several scenes also depicted him acting in violent or crazy ways. I think Yuasa simply felt he wanted to portray that combination of traits in a different manner, to make his own personal point about the irony of our contradictions and self-destructive tendencies, even if it made Ryo look a little worse in the process (I'd argue Ryo is still not exactly someone worth being friends with, in my opinion, at the end of the original Devilman manga).

The fact that adult Akira ended up not even willing to cry for Ryo after everything went to hell and, in turn, that Ryo himself didn't realize his own feelings until it was far too late is, of course, why Yuasa's interpretation of Devilman still ends up being a tragedy. Yet, while the manga makes the final sequence more about Ryo's specific reasoning for his actions and the metaphysical conflict against god that is only in the background (which arguably doesn't really see any resolution in either version of this particular storyline, so I am not surprised that Yuasa gave it less focus), this animated version makes it all end on the note of emotional self-discovery and the potential humanity that Ryo always had, despite much of his exterior behavior and his true identity. This change did obscure an interesting and also ironic parallel between what Akira and Ryo were doing which the manga spells out right at the end, I'll admit, but I think the results are still compatible with the other themes present in the story.

wielder fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jan 9, 2018

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

see, that's the thing: everything in the apartment scene itself is totally fine. my problem is that, at Miki's house, Akira's reaction to Ryo going on the TV is not "OH poo poo GOD drat IT RYO" but "oh hey this guy's gonna fix everything!" in spite of Ryo having literally just told Akira he has no plans of doing anything like that. Akira should seriously be, bare minimum, incredibly suspicious of him at that point.

e: like I don't think Crybaby's Ryo is bad in a vacuum, but the narrative kind of has to contort itself for the character to work, and that bugged me.

Yes, I can understand your criticism, but for me Akira never came across as particularly intellectual and smart in his thought patterns. He's way too much of an emotional softy for that, so I can buy Akira hadn't entirely given up on his friend Ryo until that final TV broadcast. The apartment discussion made Ryo come across as pessimistic and indifferent, rather than as a saboteur who wanted to add fuel to the fire. There was a point of no return that still hadn't been crossed.

Before then, maybe Akira was hoping that Ryo would have calmed down and come up with a better way of reducing the violence to more rational levels by telling people the truth about demons, instead of actively making things much worse with a bunch of lies. Is that too naive? Sure but I don't think it's out of character. Akira had no way of knowing to what extent Ryo's mind was being corrupted, so to speak.

I do not mean to say this is the most natural narrative flow (not even in the manga itself, since Go Nagai didn't have a detailed plan for the story), to be sure, and an extra episode might have allowed the staff to make things feel smoother.

wielder fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jan 9, 2018

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

Cheap Diner Coffee posted:

I just found out that the scriptwriter for this was also the scriptwriter for Valvrave and things are clicking into place for my hater rear end.

I am sure you mean that as a negative, but I'd readily argue the opposite: he was a good fit for the over-the-top and tone-shifting nature of the source material thus, together with Yuasa's personal handiwork since his fingerprints and stated intentions for the project are all over this thing, the guy did a nice job.

That said, I wouldn't mind watching a more subtle version of Devilman per se, in the grand scheme of things, yet that would also require either reducing the scale of events or having more episodes.

wielder fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jan 10, 2018

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

Davincie posted:

yuasa will be doing a reddit AMA on the 20th

I hope someone will ask him about the donkey noises.

Also about what he thinks of the unusually short ten episode run.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

Wark Say posted:

So, I logged into Netflix today and after seeing the trailer play (couldn't reach the mute button in time :D), I saw the letters "Watch Season 1 Now" and curiosity got the better of me: Did they announce / has there been any rumors about a potential second season? Hopefully Devil Lady but more hopefully Violence Jack?

Doesn't Netflix call a lot of things "season one" by default? That has been my experience. It's not impossible to see a sequel one day in the future, although I doubt Yuasa would return so another cool director would need to be hired, but I don't think we should read too much into that specific detail.

wielder fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jan 26, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

Nothing this year will literally top this, but that's okay. Shows can be good (or bad) in very different ways.

• Locked thread