Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

10 episodes at once is too much....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

its hosed up that the 70s devilman is a show that exists in the devilman crybaby universe

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

yeah besides not finishing the story the 2 80s ovas were, so far as i've gotten in this, better adaptions and devilman has been done a ton. i would rather get a devilman lady adaption since the manga of that while way worse than devilman, still continues the story and hasn't gotten a remotely accurate adaption. you could easily fit devilman lady into a 1, maybe 2 cour anime by cutting out most of the villain of the week stories

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

its incredibly far from a straight adaption

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

the original version is easily available and has zero redrawns. idk about american publications, but its all over the internet and looks like this

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

well i finished it. it was a mediocre anime and a terrible adaption of devilman. there's so many unnecessary changes for the worse, ryo and akira's backstory, all the added sport and school stuff, 90% of the sex stuff wasn't in the manga, miko and the reporter were basically totally anime original, the turtle fight was changed vastly for the worse by ryo being there and they removed several cool fights (mind control demon and melting through walls demon).

they also made miki a way weaker character. original miki stabbed punks and threw molotovs, was way tougher and flirtier. there's also a lot of parts that are just better executed in the old ovas, the car ride, the demon time flashback, the silene/water demon/wall demon fight and so on. there's also a lot of events they switched around which made the story flow worse and the worst thing is how much i've seen blaming go nagai/devilman for this and that, while so much of it is yuasa original.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

the pacing/run time wouldn't be much of an issue if they didn't add so much stuff

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

wielder posted:

There are several interesting quotes on the subject throughout this interview:

http://devilman.wikia.com/wiki/User_blog:Painocus/Interview_between_Nagai_and_Hideaki_Anno

hah thats a very enjoyable interview, so old school otaku!

i really do wish there was a translation of Harenchi Gakuen out there though, even if the vast majority of it is rather standard i would like the see the later parts

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

there's 3 out. 1 is just a part of the show with better visuals. near the end of 2 it starts diverging and 3 is totally different. 4 is not out yet, and who knows if it ever will be. they're great and a totally separate thing. they don't 'clean up' the series at all and are totally worth watching.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Alan_Shore posted:

I'm so glad people are being introduced to the joys of Devilman!

I read Amon: The Darkside of Devilman today and gently caress me just what the Christ was going on with all the T Rex's and people melting and creepy angels

I pre-ordered the new translation of the original Manga, thanks for the link! I bought the OVA soundtrack on vinyl over Christmas, that poo poo owns

amon kinda sucks, if you want more after devilman lady try to look up devilman saga instead

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

its pretty good

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

DisDisDis posted:

The second episode was fantastic much like the rest of the show. I like all Yuasa's originals better than all his adaptations (well, never finished Ping Pong) and def want more

e: and Mindgame's the best thing he's done

mindgame is an adaptation

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

DisDisDis posted:

poo poo, gently caress

of what?

the manga, mind game

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

my only exposure to Go Nagai before this was Dororon Enma-Kun which, uh, honestly didn't leave a great impression

enma actually has a lot of wildly different versions. the ecchi version you probably saw, a 70s anime version and a recentish ova that's quite grim. i never managed to finish the ova myself as its a series of mini movies. this isn't even counting the dozen different manga

StrixNebulosa posted:

Yup. It's like 40 years old, who's gonna read a manga that old? And the anime's, uh, all over the place so again: who's gonna watch it?

people without a strange aversion for anything not recent

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

yuasa will be doing a reddit AMA on the 20th

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Darth Walrus posted:

Apparently, NutritiousSnack is a gator who tries to rile people up against stuff that they (and he) haven’t seen. So bear that in mind.

gently caress, alligators can type now?

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

ryo is intersex

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

fursonally i think this anime is about everyone relentlessly pushing sexuality on the noble asexual. when someone turns demon its society's pressure to gently caress taking over. the devilmen walk the path between the proud asexual and the dangerous sexhaver: the aromantic

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Shoehead posted:

I encourage everyone in this thread to find your strong spider girlfriend and tell her you love her

worked out well for the last guy

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Eh maybe we should take a break from Devilman Crybaby and watch another Go Nagai adaptation, perhaps one where this specific derail will be very unlikely to happen so we can all get along.

Re:Cutie Honey

*suspiciously changes the channel to Dororon Enma-kun*

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

goro deserved it, talentless hack

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

ninjewtsu posted:

What exactly is the overall reception of crybaby in japan? Sounds like generally positive but reading about that dude makes me wonder if there's any notable differences in reception compared to here

only 8 new pages on pixiv since it aired, and a fair amount of that is of the old show (or worse, western art. disgusting!). a huge failure in my book

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

trope is a perfectly fine word

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

no theres just 1 or 2 shows each season that get threads like this

• Locked thread