Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I'd read Devilman, Devilman Lady and Violence Jack before, only just got around to watching this now.

What a trip.

I don't like how Ryo was characterized and the pacing towards the end was kind of weird, but it was a pretty big upgrade in every other way. Wam's gang was a great example of a greek chorus, Miki and Akira's characters were way more sympathetic, and Miko was a nice addition.

The music was fantastic, though I wasn't super on board with the OP song, the rest of the OP was perfect.

I love how weird and bizarre the animation got at times, like the memetic running. It was perfect for what it sets out to be.

I wonder if they're going to do Devilman Crylady next, what with the two moons at the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Also I re-read Devilman LAdy, which I first read as an edgy teenager and man, it's... Not as good as I remember. :v:

I think Crybaby was an imperfect improvement on a fascinating and imperfect source material. I'd be really interested in seeing a Devilman Lady anime.

e: The amount of people who are like "wow I love satan" strikes me as odd, considering he is literally responsible for everything that goes wrong in the show.

Miki, her family, Wam and Gabi and Miko are all nice people. Maybe some of them will get a happy ending in Devilman Saga (:lol:).

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Aug 3, 2018

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Thinking about it a bit, I was actually kinda reminded of LISA. They both involve sex, drugs, violence, the worst of humanity on display and people mutating into horrible monsters.

Obviously not 1:1, but I think they share themes on a deeper level too.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
To me, one of the themes of LISA was that even if it doesn't work out, people have the potential to be better than they are and that trying is worth it. (With things like how you can have your own arm cut off to save someone's life, rescue someone's beloved pet for no gain, or not taking Joy).

Crybaby has Miki, Akira, etc. trying their best in about as bleak circumstances as there can be. In the end it achieves nothing, but the fact that they tried when there was no 'reason' is still meaningful.

Like I said they weren't 1:1 or anything and the reason for their failures are different, but that particular aspect made me draw a bit of a comparison.

also, man, I can still practically hear the last scenes from episode 9. I've never had an anime stick with me so much. :v:

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Aug 7, 2018

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Two things that occured to me:

1, what did Akira THINK Ryo's plan at the track meet was? :psyduck: He seems surprised at Koda turning into a monster and killed everyone!

2, why did Kukun and Miko go to a sabbath? While Akira was pretty much freaked out at everything going on due to not knowing what to expect, Kukun/Miko seemed to basically know what was involved going by how they were casually taking pills and making small talk.

But at that point there had been at least two sabbaths that ended in bloodbaths. Crybaby is pretty good at working social media into the story, did nobody tweet about "huh literally nobody who went to this party came back" or if there were other survivors, take pictures? :psyduck:

• Locked thread