Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bloodyshinta1
Aug 6, 2010
Hope they go with the art style of the Amon spinoff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloodyshinta1
Aug 6, 2010
Does this mean we are getting a violence jack reboot

Bloodyshinta1
Aug 6, 2010

Davincie posted:

amon kinda sucks, if you want more after devilman lady try to look up devilman saga instead

I mean if you can look past the titties the art is loving gorgeous

Bloodyshinta1
Aug 6, 2010
so is this most people's first exposure to devilman? I'm just kind of surprised since all of it has been on youtube for years free to watch and the manga is easily readable for free as well.

Bloodyshinta1
Aug 6, 2010
At least watch The Castle of Cagliostro, it's by Miyazaki so you won't be let down.

Bloodyshinta1
Aug 6, 2010

Bust Rodd posted:

There’s a generation of viewers, probably the majority of anime viewers even, who grew up on Dragonball Z after school on Toonami, and so we accept that Anime can be good and cool, but the apparent effort to enjoy most of it seemed to require you to become like the worst kind of dork imaginable, so it’s just easier to consume the sweet handpicked westernized ones that Cartoon Network kindly picked out for us.

So you’ve got people where they LOVE anime, but their anime experience is exclusively Naruto, DBZ, Pokémon, Digimon, Gundam Wing, Full Metal Alchemist, and Sailor Moon. Maybe Yu-Gi-Oh and Card Captors too.

Netflix’s anime offerings are more in line with those shows than with any of the other stuff.

whats funny about that is from the perspective of someone who's been watching anime since the 80/90's Naruto fans are the biggest dorks imaginable lmfao

Bloodyshinta1
Aug 6, 2010
I thought the manga ended with a panel of Satan in some kind of hydra/chimera form going ham and destroying the planet? Haven't read it in 10 years so kinda rusty

Bloodyshinta1
Aug 6, 2010
uhhh 150 comments while I was a sleep, is all just people arguing over who is or isn't gay? not gonna read it if that's the case. devilman gay so what

Bloodyshinta1
Aug 6, 2010

Endorph posted:

a lot of gays feel rejected by society and therefore identify with things like demons/devils and condemned by holy, 'pure figures'

there's a lot of articles written about this show in that light

I mean I think its more society literally telling gay's "Your evil demons and you're all going to hell"

Bloodyshinta1
Aug 6, 2010
when i tell my dad and brother i love them it's because i want to gently caress them

Bloodyshinta1
Aug 6, 2010

Dire Lemming posted:

I've never read or watched any Devilman series prior to this but I loved this show. For me it perfectly hit the line of being as depressing as possible without making me feel apathetic. It's also the first story that's actually made me cry in like 5 years so good job.

A lot of people in this thread seem to be down on the fact that Ryo had no development and ultimately "won" but I completely disagree. Ryo did develop, just in the wrong direction. We were shown right from the start that he had the capability to feel but he rejects it because it isn't logical and he believes it only causes terrible things, which is reinforced from how humanity reacts to the revelation of demons.

In the end nobody won, Ryo became just as cold as the god he rebelled against and it caused him to lose the only person who understood he could be something more. Akira lost to Ryo's logic because feelings are a weakness, but ultimately Ryo lost because if you don't feel anything what's the point of being strong?

yeah but was he gay tho

Bloodyshinta1
Aug 6, 2010

Ibram Gaunt posted:

whats this now

The guy who makes family friendly anime is a huge dick hole and the guy who makes anime about rape and murder is a cool dude.

Bloodyshinta1
Aug 6, 2010

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

In contrast to all of that, otaku works are private and insular. They're meant for you and the rest of an inner circle of people who it's catered to. It's not for "normies," and especially not for foreigners.

anime was a mistake

Bloodyshinta1
Aug 6, 2010
90's ovas were the bess, look at how popular OPM was, that's basically what it was.

Bloodyshinta1
Aug 6, 2010
The violence jack ova's are really not good, especially the first one. The other two are watchable but holy crap is the first one a low budget train wreck.

Bloodyshinta1 fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Jan 24, 2018

Bloodyshinta1
Aug 6, 2010
I think this guy watched the equivalent of some straight to video Skinnemax smutty garbage and decided thats what all anime is

Bloodyshinta1
Aug 6, 2010
is he talking about sailor moon then? i dont remember that cat being horny though

*nvm that was a girl cat not a cat girl

Bloodyshinta1
Aug 6, 2010
he straight up went out of his way to say legit examples like yandare aren't the issue and that things like autistic child geniuses are, dude is a bafoon lmao

Bloodyshinta1
Aug 6, 2010

yeah i cringed pretty hard when you called DevilMan cliche', but I guess you educated yourself good for you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloodyshinta1
Aug 6, 2010

Rinkles posted:

really insignificant point, but were there any hints about how Taro (Miki's little brother) became possessed by a devil?

it seems like they just made a bunch of small changes to the plot to keep it interesting, so many things I've read about in this thread are people asking "why did they do this", and im starting to think there probably wasn't a really good reason for it other than just shaking things up.

• Locked thread