Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cheap Diner Coffee
Aug 7, 2010

Philistine.
Big Yuasa Fan Here, just finished it

yo this poo poo was a loving MESS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheap Diner Coffee
Aug 7, 2010

Philistine.
I had many issues with the show, particularly in the second half (I came to this as someone who loves most of Yuasa's work and knew of Devilman primarily through twitter osmosis), but the one which irks me the most is what I see as the complete mishandling of what were supposed to be emotional/resonant moments in general, and particularly ones which involved Ryo and Akira as a pair. This might just be the result of being a faithful adaptation, but even if that's the case, there should have been some decisions made to improve them.

This is most apparent in the finale, where the show desperately shoves some flashbacks of their relationship at you for the first time (hello, rabbit on the moon thing? stabbing capybaras?) to try to get you to believe that there is something there and that Satan's grief/regret means....anything? The show failed to get me to believe that Akira would actually be friends with Ryo when all we see of him, even during childhood, is violence and being an rear end in a top hat, which is a big enough problem in itself, but when you add the fact that the show doesn't even know how to space out the bits of backstory it has, and might as well be flashing BE SAD, it's just painful. There are enough cuts to Ryo scrolling through childhood photos of the pair throughout the show that I get a sense of the affection he has for Akira, to an extent, but that layer could have been fleshed out more. Basically, if your story ends on one character mourning another at the end of the world, I should really care about those characters as a unit. I didn't.

This is all INCREDIBLY FRUSTRATING because I think Yuasa knows how to nail scenes and dynamics like this! Ping Pong! Kaiba! So I'm just very confused about what happened here.

Anyway, I'm probably going to read the manga at some point to see how many of my problems (beyond the above, pacing, good god the pacing, among other things) stem from Maybe Just Not Liking Devilman Very Much and how much is this adaptation just not working for me.

Cheap Diner Coffee fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Jan 15, 2018

Cheap Diner Coffee
Aug 7, 2010

Philistine.
While I'm down with the idea of Akira seeing/attempting to see the good in Ryo as a .... Thing, having two of your like, five miniature glimpses of their past being Ryo attempting to kill animals means I'm gonna need a little more to convince me. And when you chronologically leap from that to the motherfucker pulling a machine gun out of his coat and firing what I'm being told is that Ryo basically never changed but Akira doesn't care because love. Look y'all, I'm Gay, but come on. I don't need Ryo to transform into a goody two shoes (He's Satan lol), but just give me the slightest bit of reason to believe an incredibly empathetic and emotional person liked the stabby stabby kid (beyond just, he's So Good he can see the good in everybody!). I will say, however: Incredibly Good Hugs.

If the show's tone stayed as schlocky and over the top as the first episode throughout I wouldn't give a poo poo but it attempts to have an emotional core and the two just aren't coming together for me.

Speaking of, the use of the baton metaphor was brought up previously and I'm actually fine with it for the most part, but THEN they decide that Miki has to literally either think or scream out loud "I need to pass you the baton, Akira" right before dying and what should have been an impactful scene just becomes laughable (well for me, obviously not for others!). I'm not about to accuse Yuasa's previous work of being subtle, but this is on another level of unsubtle. Keep It Visual, imho.

Cheap Diner Coffee
Aug 7, 2010

Philistine.
I just found out that the scriptwriter for this was also the scriptwriter for Valvrave and things are clicking into place for my hater rear end.

Cheap Diner Coffee
Aug 7, 2010

Philistine.
i;m gonna kick ur rear end

Cheap Diner Coffee
Aug 7, 2010

Philistine.
Yes.

It was also the second episode of Kaiba.

ha cha cha

(were there exploding sex people in episode 2 of crybaby hell if I remember I'm gonna post!!!!)

Cheap Diner Coffee
Aug 7, 2010

Philistine.
It's a decent listen (even if I disagree heavily with their assessment), and I've finally found the bizarro version of me in taste with this Jacob dude.

Cheap Diner Coffee fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Jan 14, 2018

Cheap Diner Coffee
Aug 7, 2010

Philistine.
as a gay,

:gas:

Cheap Diner Coffee
Aug 7, 2010

Philistine.
did you black out during episode 9 or something

Cheap Diner Coffee
Aug 7, 2010