Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I'm on episode 3 and enjoying it. It is very much a Go Nagai show though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I wish they would cut out the engrish. It made the ending of episode 8, which should have weight to it, seem hilarious.

But man there were a lot of hosed up scenes in episode 8, some that will haunt me.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Having not read the original manga I was unprepared for how loving dark it was going to get. Episode 8 was horrific but then it got even worse! And then even worse than even worse! Satan is a dick, God is a dick, Akira is good except he died and couldn't save humanity. Dang.

Berserk was definitely inspired by Devilman but I hope Berserk doesn't end like this.

Ccs fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Jan 6, 2018

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Yes.

Anyway, thanks Yuasa for getting me to watch Devilman. It was a trip.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

DisDisDis posted:

Just wanna say the most incredibly viscerally uncomfortable thing in this show for me was the bit with the kid munching on the mom which was 0% graphic and his design was really cute so it was very cool, how that happened.

The dads reaction to it really sold how horrible it was. It's just awful, because the kid realizes he's done a horrible thing but the devil is making him crave flesh so much he just eats whatever's nearest. Guuhh, that scene is revolting in a very effective way.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

MechaX posted:

I was right with that dad when the scene happened. Plus, his English actor really sold it too.

But then he just got wiped out by the military so quick that it took me right out of the moment because it was so like Adult Swim-comedy esque. They didn't even have to kill the dad either, as the scene was pretty much perfect up to that happening.

No it was sweet release when he got shot. That whole scene was emotional torture to watch.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

dogsicle posted:

yuasa will do an original project because gently caress adaptations

Isn't most of Yuasa's stuff adaptions? Ping Pong was based on a manga, and Tatami Galaxy and Night is Short were based off books by the same author.

I think he's a really good director working with other people's material.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

The happiness I get from this makes up for the tragedy in the show.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

It's very 70s. I think it looks better when put to movement by 80s animators.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Kingtheninja posted:

Skimmed through the Manga today. Kind of surprised to see it was about as graphic as the show. What year did that come out?

1972. And it ran in a Shonen magazine.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Compendium posted:

Could have provided a more concrete example of a cultural touchstone that was hard to understand instead of something vague, made up, and dismissive

Would female characters who are "yandere" count? That's like a trope character in a lot of anime where a regular anime viewer would be like "oh it's the yandere character type" but a new watcher would be like "why the hell this girl be so crazy?"

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Raxivace posted:

Considering Netflix helped fund Crybaby, wouldn't they be able to stream it legally for free indefinitely? If that's the case it doesn't seem like there would be much reason to take it off.

Who knows what the fickle minds at streaming networks will do. Maybe an executive team will be replaced the the new ones will decide to get rid of all the shows they had a hand in green-lighting.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I like how much Yuasa characters squash and stretch when they eat and drink.

Also this is my new favorite Devilman meme: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbFwvEmEKxE

This duet is pretty nice too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5F2cru1qZNw

Ccs fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Jan 31, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Giant hands proves it's yoai.

• Locked thread