Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
This show is made of love. I don't feel that it ever truly condemns humanity at all, that it only shows what would happen under the worst possible conditions. The fact that someone was able to face this kind of reality head on and then not have it end in a flurry of genuine misanthropic despair is incredible to me. Miki and Miko die after doing everything they possibly could for the good of the people they love, same with Akira. If this story was written by someone who genuinely hated humanity, who wanted to see it suffer, their viewpoints wouldn't be even remotely compelling or worthy. They'd be presented as idiots who wanted to die for inane beliefs, italics firmly intended, and they'd die without dignity.

Instead, they die standing for everything they believe in. Miki continues to run as long as she can, even when her legs are clipped by a bullet and her friends are all dead, in the name of hope and doing the absolute best she can even in the face of absolute hell. This is beautiful in a way that I can't even explain, because while I've faced a hint of the darkness this show describes, I've never been able to portray it as anything more than offensively dull and bleak. The fact that someone can write a story like this that is exactly as bleak, as unforgiving, as painful as some of the experiences I've had without giving up on human goodness is a sign that I can still improve, that I can still find more hope and become stronger despite that pain.

I'm being very dramatic, but to be fair I expected this to be another AICO. It was a bit blindsiding. I hope that one day I become someone who can write stories like this, because I know drat well I'll never be able to make soundtracks like this, holy poo poo. I love this loving show

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
Still seeing the end of episode 9 in my mind's eye

• Locked thread