Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
lmao this owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

the chad run

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
Loved it but it's a massive shame Ryo's design retained none of the incredible charm of the original. Rest of the art was great and even retained some of that lovely Nagai awkwardness in places which I got a huge kick out of.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
Also it should have been hornier about you-know-who, imo

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Ccs posted:

I wish they would cut out the engrish. It made the ending of episode 8, which should have weight to it, seem hilarious.

But man there were a lot of hosed up scenes in episode 8, some that will haunt me.

It accurately captures the experience of reading Go Nagai dialogue.

I had a lot of fun with it but wouldn't rate it higher than the manga and it doesn't really rank with other Yuasa stuff for me either. First half was really drat fun though idk.

e: ^

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
Just wanna say the most incredibly viscerally uncomfortable thing in this show for me was the bit with the kid munching on the mom which was 0% graphic and his design was really cute so it was very cool, how that happened.

Also criticizing the realism of the portrayal of demonic government infiltration is stupid as gently caress

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Bloodyshinta1 posted:

I mean if you can look past the titties the art is loving gorgeous

Same but the italian renaissance

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
I like the name devilman lady a lot so I'm gonna finally get around to reading it then become a devilman lady apologist

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
If there's anyone who should have killed or thrown poo poo at people in this show it was the people previously being stone

Hope they had a chance before the whole place got blown up

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
https://twitter.com/baph0meat/status/950436398225674240

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Darth Walrus posted:

If you read the manga, you’ll find it pretty rough and bare-bones compared to Crybaby.

eat a dick bxtch

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
Lady's dual titty happy trails already make it the best thing in the franchise

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

lol, she's gay

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
Glad you like it. Check out the manga afterward!

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
Doesn't Devilman have two pretty straightforward adaptations already? I honestly wish Yuasa went further off track with it.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

StrixNebulosa posted:

None of the adaptations before this one have adapted the entire story faithfully.

Huh. Well, my opinion stands.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
The second episode was fantastic much like the rest of the show. I like all Yuasa's originals better than all his adaptations (well, never finished Ping Pong) and def want more

e: and Mindgame's the best thing he's done

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Davincie posted:

mindgame is an adaptation

poo poo, gently caress

of what?

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
I always had the general impression that most manga fans (at least who checked out the classics) had read Devilman so the discussion around Crybaby with regards to that has been blowing my mind.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Davincie posted:

the manga, mind game

Huh, for a very liberal definition of read I can read french, might have to pick it up

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

NecroMonster posted:

i'm a (lovely) artist and have been reading manga for nearly fifteen years at this point.

Go's art isn't good.

I'm a good artist and Go's art is good bxtch

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
I'm not saying the quality of one's art and their opinion of Go Nagai's is necessarily linked but it might be something to think about

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Like, I would absolutely not buy a painting by Go Nagai, because the technical aspects of his art (linework, shading, detail etc) are just kind of eeeeeeh at best,

I was gonna say something sarcastic like "same but Picasso, Steadman etc." but... even in OG Devilman which has a particular naive style (which I'd say is worth a hundred generic renderbot artists but that's another conversation) his linework and hatching is already quite strong. (often rough, but that =/= bad) then you get to Lady where he's also doing cleaner highly rendered stuff. Then there's Shin Violence Jack

As for his paintings, just look at the loving Lady covers

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
Cool image that barely has titty

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
I think it's very wrong to say Go's linework and shading is 'just eh' because it's precisely his execution in those areas that makes Devilman's style so successful rather than being crayon scribbles. And his later work demonstrates major chops as a traditional comics style renderer, not a realistic renderer and not on the level of Miura or anybody but that's not really the point. Finally, his paintings loving rock. Peace.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Like this is cherrypicking a particularly strong panel but this is amazing brushwork

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
I remember the manga end being the same except Satan is a lot more lovey dovey

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

dogsicle posted:

what bit of the podcast did you pull this out of? because i did not hear the words parody or subversion and none of them were familiar enough with the manga to speak on it comprehensively/authoritatively (and they didn't).

Why can't these people get a single manga reader for their podcast I'm so heckin mad

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
Illegenes rts ANN articles sometimes get them on there

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

dogsicle posted:

none of them want to acknowledge piracy or engage in it, so Devilman has pretty much always been unavailable to them. the 1986 English release wasn't complete, and the only other option is importing a 2002 bilingual edition that i didn't even know existed until researching just now.

These people are dumb, imo

Smoking Crow posted:

let's make our own anime podcast

I can't wait to talk for two hours straight about how yaoi having feminine gay men and murder-torture is extremely woke while you explain theology to me

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
Making a sub par podcast is a fitting fate for cowards like that

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
When the two girls said they were in love with each other I was like "yeah, cool" but I didn't really feel it leading up to it which, in general I just think most of the characters were super underdeveloped

Also hosed up but, bisexuals exist

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Ocelot kisses Snake because he's "pretty good," duh.

They're both friendly to each other and spend all their time together with Akira before Miko becomes a devilman, and even after when Miko's resentments come to the foreground she finds herself being chummy with Miki in the locker room because it's impossible not to like her. They're both developed in very subtle ways, even down to their physicality. Miko is surpassed by Miki because they developed differently, with Miko being big and awkward while Miki grew up lean and light with a perfect runner's body. Even in spite of that they don't stop being friends.

yeah like I get that they're good friends and also that Miko resents Miki from all that but I never felt like Miko's resentment was partly cover for a crush in the leadup or that Miki felt anything beyond platonic for her in the leadup so when Miko confessed I was like "awesome, lesbian icon tbh" and then when Miki answered back I was like "well yeah she's jesus and loves everyone of course they'd get together" but I never felt the chemistry there before that moment.

Well, I won't pretend like my day one all night binge of the series was the most perceptive ever but I don't have any desire to rewatch it so it's what I'm stuck with.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Endorph posted:

for a more serious post, there are people in real life who identify as neither male nor female, and they are usually part of gay and trans communities because, those communities are open to people like that. dating an gender person isnt a gay relationship but it sure isnt a straight one either, and an agender person being romantically attracted to a man, is something the Queers can relate to

and who is or isnt gay matters a lot to some people. if you dont care thats one thing but acting like the read is 'reaching' is super lovely. if a guy and a girl are onscreen for five seconds together people act like it's a canonical relationship thats going to be the thrust of the show even if it isnt but two dudes can literally gently caress onscreen and there can be all sorts of complicated sexuality in the show and there's people rushing to go 'uhh, actually, i dont know if id say its GAY...'

This but also I don't think satan being intersex means ryo isn't a man so using that for the angle that its not *really* a gay relationship is odd to me either way you interpret that

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
Satan's design is the exact same as the manga where he is explicitly intersex my point is just that Ryo is clearly a dude rear end dude whatever his angel physiology is. So the he's not really a man so it's not really gay take is dumb whatever uh, go nagai might have to say about it.

Also idk if it's woke or not but I really like that Ryo/Satan is intersex

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Jose posted:

is the original also very gay?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

AnacondaHL posted:

Opening a :can:, but the text of this show is also the book of Revelations/Apocalypse, and combining the two gives this sense of "hmm, the strong queer relationships here represented in this show by devilmen or the damned, and God wipes them all out for a reset" :raise:

Like maybe this show isn't the best queer hill to die on.

I'll die on the hill of "two people of the same gender confessing their romantic love for eachother are gay, really" every time but especially if they're evil demons cuz that's loving badass

• Locked thread