Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I'm two episodes in and that uh was a creative use of the sounds that donkeys make.

This legit might be the best Nagai adaptation. Very strong visual style, really feels like its elevating the not-super-great source material into something special but also still from Hell.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Jan 12, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Buffis posted:

This is me as well.

Also, uh... Netflix sure is all over the place with their original content right now, which I guess is sortof neat.
Yeah it is weird to think that the same people that funded a freakin’ Devilman adaptation also did stuff like Beasts of No Nation and The Other Side of the Wind.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

TheComicFiend posted:

Met up with my sister for lunch over the weekend. After reflecting on the series/laughing at some dumb devijokes she burst into tears once discussion led to the later half of the series.

Devilman Crybaby is real good y'all.
Maybe she was crying...for you. :smith:

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

NutritiousSnack posted:

That it is a parody or subversion of the themes of the original Devilman and the sexual themes of the rest of Nagai's work.
Yo if you have more in-depth thoughts about this I'd be curious to hear them.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Endorph posted:

im gonna make a podcast where every week we just talk about whether or not harry ord in turn-a gundam is blind
Of course he's blind, have you seen how he dresses.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

A podcast about people who hate things sounds like the worst. Enough with the ironic distancing from media bullshit.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

If I misunderstood the point of the podcast based on the title of it then that's my bad.

Anyways, Devilman.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

The real problem I have with people claiming that this or that character is gay or bi, is that it's wrong to project identities onto people which they haven't made explicit themselves. You should trust others to demonstrate their own personal truths, and you have to be willing to accept and love them for whatever they are regardless of whatever biases you may be conditioned to have. It's fine if you want to read Miko as gay or bi, but I disagree with it because the only person who should be deciding that is Miko. Making interpretative assumptions about people based on vague evidence is a prejudice, and deciding things on false assumptions can be literally world ending.

It's nobody's place to definitively decide on a matter of somebody else's identity. Everything is questionable without being made explicit.
This is the way you should treat real people, but I feel like it misses the point of art to the degree that you're basically asking people to not actually engage with the show (At least in terms of the characters' sexual orientations). Miko is a fictional character and presented in specific ways, there's no ethical concerns in trying to understand how this fictional character has been coded.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Jan 19, 2018

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Considering how often genitalia seems to grow teeth in this series that's a good reason to be scared.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

EgoEgress posted:

I watched the Crybaby and I liked it overall. But why was there so much cat death. The one in the beginning, the housecat-turned-demon whom we have to watch die twice, and during the demon panic there was a dude stabbing a cat on social media. Do Nagai or Yuasa just loving hate cats or something? I know it's a weird thing to fixate on considering the ton of grotesque and awful poo poo in the series, but it really stuck out to me.
I think the cats are just a recurring symbol for persecution or suffering or whatever in general. Like the show starts with Akira wanting to help a cat while Ryo is content just to let it die. Its compassion vs. cruelty/indifference to suffering, and that idea just continues throughout the show in different forms.

It also makes the one cat that comes back as a demon all the more surprising. When the cat becomes a demon too, its when all of the oppressed are finally fighting back together.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Jan 20, 2018

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I haven't read any of these sequels, but if there are time loop shenanigans the whole visual of the characters running track would tie nicely into that.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Endorph posted:

okay let's put this down to democracy

quote this post if you think miko and miki are gay

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Miki rides Miko at one point.

Like, come on. The only way this would be less subtle is if they 69'd right on screen.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jan 21, 2018

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I like that part where Akira wants to see Miki's boobs so hard that he gains the power of x-ray vision.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Plenty of apocalyptic stories have romance plots to offset the inherent depressing nature of the setting, or to make the settings more tragic when one of the characters die or whatever.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Endorph posted:

quote this post if you think the russian dog man is denying the validity of readings different from his

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I felt like Shin Mazinger got really bogged down with too many characters, too much narrating and exposition and so on, and I don't think the anti-climax it ends on really works.

It's a shame because on paper I like a lot of what its going for, but not so much in execution. It's been fun in SRW though.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Yo if I wanted to experience the original Jeeg before Shin Jeeg, do I watch the anime or read the manga?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Endorph posted:

id read the manga if you can get a hold of it, its only ten chapters compared to the old tv anime being stretched out to 46 episodes. otoh im pretty sure shin jeeg references a few things that are only in the old anime, but on the other other hand do you really wanna watch 46 episodes of a 70s robot show.
Alright cool I'll track down that manga then.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

The only thing I know about Violence Jack is that Kouji Kabuto is in one arc, except instead of piloting Mazinger Z he sits on top of a big blind dude named Jim Mazinger.

Make it happen Netflix.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Look maybe she's only interested in the seven vagánias platonically as a friend, or perhaps scientifically. We can't know for sure.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jan 21, 2018

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Protodevlinman.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Considering Netflix helped fund Crybaby, wouldn't they be able to stream it legally for free indefinitely? If that's the case it doesn't seem like there would be much reason to take it off.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I should add that if Crybaby gets a blu-ray release in the U.S. I'll 100% buy it.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Miko is gay and also cool and good.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Wait a second how can Miko be a human and also a devil?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

AnEdgelord posted:

I watched this show and thought it was hot rear end on sidewalk covered in poop and am now mad enough to post in an SA thread about it AMA
Well since you said I can ask you anything...

About a week ago somebody stole my recycling bin for about 24 hours before mysteriously returning it. Who stole it and why?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

TheKingofSprings posted:

I haven’t watched this show, is it good y/n
Yeah, its good.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Rinkles posted:

The ending looked like a rather overt homage to the end of evangelion (visually), but it occurred to me that the original Devilman itself likely greatly inspired Anno.
Yeah Anno has mentioned Devilman being an influence on him in interviews before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Texhnolyze owns a lot IMO. Its a god drat crime it never got a good blu-ray release.

• Locked thread