Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
HOLY gently caress WHAT THIS COMES OUT TOMORROW??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
the whole sequence with Devilman and the mob of people being stoned to death is one of the most genuinely loving beautiful and moving things i have ever seen in an anime

i was worried it was gonna end badly and then the line of people coming up to hug Devilman loving broke me :qq:

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
also, while I don't think Crybaby is quite as good as the manga, it kicks the living hell out of the OVAs

I don't think Yuasa's visual style was a fantastic fit but his thematic sensibilities were perfect, whereas the OVAs are very much Big Dumb Action Anime and pretty much ignore the themes of the manga despite getting the look of it a lot closer

e2: you know what my one big beef with the show's visuals is? that stupid loving run, it's the most hilarious thing ever and I couldn't take it seriously whenever someone started doing the Devilman Dash. it literally only looked good when Akira in Devilman mode did it.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jan 9, 2018

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
also, I think I've pegged where my problem with this show's writing pretty much begins and ends.

Ryo. loving. Asuka.

he's broadly the same character as in the manga, but... I honestly don't think the story works as well if he's just a complete psychopath. like, the way Ryo is depicted in Crybaby honestly makes Akira look like a loving moron for trusting him, because when I think of "people who are likely to do good things" a kid who really really really likes murdering things with a boxcutter isn't gonna be my first call. and then Akira goes on trusting him way after it should have been blindingly obvious he's up to no good.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

The_Rob posted:

But isn't akira's whole thing that he can see the good in everyone and is extremely empathetic?

i just feel like they took that too far to the point where Akira becomes kind of an idiot. like, Ryo literally directly tells him what he's trying to do, and then the next time Akira sees Ryo on TV he's just like "OH HEY RYO'S GOING TO FIX EVERYTHING NOW!"

i mean, what the gently caress? is Akira supposed to have the memory of a goldfish? did these scenes get put in the anime out of order?

e: like, the point where Akira decides "okay, gently caress Ryo" should be when Ryo goes psycho on him in his apartment and talks about how the human race is too weak to survive and how he's going to make sure all of humanity dies. the fact that it takes longer than that is kind of dumb.

e2: honestly this is a rare anime that I really kind of can't peg down how I feel about it. I love it and hate it at the same time. it does so much poo poo that just hits me right in the gut that the stuff that frustrates me about it almost gives it a sort of wabi-sabi, and yet at the same time I can't really discount just how frustrated I am by that stuff. Future Diary was probably the last anime that had this effect on me, and much like Future Diary this show's probably going to take up a much larger chunk of my brainspace than it reasonably should.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Jan 9, 2018

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
see, that's the thing: everything in the apartment scene itself is totally fine. my problem is that, at Miki's house, Akira's reaction to Ryo going on the TV is not "OH poo poo GOD drat IT RYO" but "oh hey this guy's gonna fix everything!" in spite of Ryo having literally just told Akira he has no plans of doing anything like that. Akira should seriously be, bare minimum, incredibly suspicious of him at that point.

e: like I don't think Crybaby's Ryo is bad in a vacuum, but the narrative kind of has to contort itself for the character to work, and that bugged me.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
maybe it's just that I'm not super familiar with Cyborg 009, but it seems pretty light-hearted and mixing it with the Devilman manga came off as loving odd to me. like, I have never in my life seen a more tonally jarring crossover than 009 vs. Devilman and I ended up bailing on it really quick as a result.

e: it's like if someone put Arale from Dr. Slump in loving Berserk, or if one of Yang Wenli's plots got interrupted by a surprise visit from fuckin' Goku. there's just a sense of wrongness to the OVA that I couldn't get past.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Junpei Hyde posted:

Id totally watch Arale vs Guts

Expect My Mom posted:

not a single thing you said sounded bad, dude

oh don't get me wrong i wouldn't exactly be complaining that hard but I would absolutely do a double-take and rewind or flip back to make sure I didn't just hallucinate that, and generally for crossovers I prefer the "chocolate and peanut butter" ones to the "chocolate and ham" ones

(also: Toriyama must be on my mind for some reason given the examples I came up with, must be my subconscious telling me to catch up on Super)

e: also, like, I get that gay love makes you blind to people's moral flaws, but Ryo literally loving tells Akira straight up that he's not up to anything good, and goes all crazy-eyes and starts acting really hosed up and possessive of Akira. This is generally a point at which most couples would break up and Ryo would go from "~daddy!!~ " to "my bugfuck crazy ex who wants to destroy humanity." like, all this poo poo works perfectly fine in the manga primarily because that scene in the apartment isn't there (IIRC). adding that scene makes Akira a complete dumbass, and not really to the story's benefit- it seems like it's mostly there to hammer the audience over the head with what Ryo's doing in case they're not getting the picture yet.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Jan 10, 2018

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
you know what I just realized

Akira is a loving /r/relationships poster

i was thinking for a second "there's nobody who's that loving thick in real life" and then I remembered there's a whole loving subreddit of them

this show is nearly flawless

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
also, yeah, Devilman Crybaby might be the greatest work of Christian moral apologetics ever made and one of the greatest pieces of religious fiction since Milton

and I did not loving expect that from a Go Nagai adaptation

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

dogsicle posted:

with the cyborg 009/devilman crossover, i dunno how it is executed in that particular series but the base premise of cyborg 009 has enough darkness that i don't think they're wildly miscast. all the cyborgs are people kidnapped and experimented on until they become horrible weapons and they have to reckon with that while trying to escape their captor and then prevent him from destroying the world via war. it dovetails with devilman's anti-war message and the sort of existential questions about personhood (the latter doesn't seem huge in either, but the resonance is there). plus devilman as a media franchise will always have that 70's tv series (and now crybaby) bringing some lightness and goofiness to it to temper the tits/gore/apocalypse stuff.

that's sort of fair, i was expecting it to be 70s TV Devilman so when I saw them flash back to the super hosed up version of the Jinmen fight I went "uhhhhhh whaaaaa?" i should probably give it another look, Crybaby gave me the itch for more Devilman

also, honestly, i really don't envy anyone releasing any kind of dark dramatic anime this year, because it's gonna be hard not to compare stuff to this. and nothing's gonna stack up in the comparison. this is a really, really strong frontrunner for AOTY right out the gate.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Alan_Shore posted:

Yeah Zenon kinda got one-shotted in this adaptation.

I think people have some valid points about Ryo and their friendship. Their friendship is way more believable in the OVAs. He's less of a psychopath and they both help each other out. God I wish they'd made a couple more (though oddly enough the chibi parody version they made after actually kinda sorta does do this version with everything going to hell at the end, it's pretty weird but there's some laughs in there).

I always thought the Amon: Apocalypse of Devilman OVA was supposed to basically be the third OVA.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Smoking Crow posted:

No one has answered my question yet

Why do Ryo and Jake the snake Roberts have the same theme song

Because it's loving awesome

Seriously, Buddy Ryo is probably my favorite track off the OST

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Go Nagai's art is... really hard to evaluate technically because he's a fantastic artist in some ways and a terrible one in others

Like, I would absolutely not buy a painting by Go Nagai, because the technical aspects of his art (linework, shading, detail etc) are just kind of eeeeeeh at best, but the dude's a loving master of visual storytelling and comes up with sick designs for things

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
i think if y'all are taking what i said as an attempted dunk on nagai you're kind of misunderstanding me.

DisDisDis posted:

OG Devilman which has a particular naive style (which I'd say is worth a hundred generic renderbot artists)

^ ^ ^ this is basically exactly the point i was trying to make- there's lots of "renderbot" artists who just completely blow him away technically, even taking into account the stuff being posted, but that's totally tangential to Nagai's value as an artist and that value is massive. the fact that a lot of his stuff doesn't look like much (even if he is capable of pulling out some crazy poo poo) doesn't actually diminish the true quality of his art, because frankly Devilman could have been crayon scribbles and it would have still loving owned.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Jan 13, 2018

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

dogsicle posted:

some columns dip back into older stuff but you'll find them not acknowledging piracy there either, iirc. kinda begs the question of how they watch these things :shrug:

Buried Treasure was done by a guy who used to work for CPM, so :ms: there- he usually said as much in the articles, that he saw a given thing for the first time while picking through stuff CPM licensed back in the day.

e: also, ANN is super tied up with the anime licensing companies, so it's kind of a requirement that they don't acknowledge piracy, or they will seriously lose their whole entire rear end over it. Funi and CR in particular are both deeply in bed with ANN and deeply intolerant of piracy.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

not true, We Hate Movies is loving hilarious

(and, while it's behind their Patreon paywall afaik, they did a side episode on the driver's license episode of DBZ)

e: hahahaha yeah, if you wanna hear three dorks who have never watched an episode of DBZ in their lives discuss the driver's license episode and try to figure out what in the Hell they just watched, it's under the $3 tier of their Patreon and it rules

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Jan 19, 2018

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QiqSPwQqdNI

pro click

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Endorph posted:

we hate movies, do not actually hate movies, they have a lot of fun making jokes about weird bad movies and unlike a lot of hatestuff it isn't just pure whining about plotholes but just following the movie's thread of logic and making jokes about it. they also have a lot of episodes where they wind up kind of liking the thing they're reviewing, and they usually mention similar stuff that they do like. but 'kay.

imagine I said this but not in smart words

they very frequently do "We Love Movies" episodes about poo poo they think is rad as hell, like the Mortal Kombat movie

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
regarding the gay stuff: i think the show is extremely deliberately ambiguous whether it wants you to think of "love" as in "romantic love" or "love" as in "Jesus love." i would honestly say that the show does not really treat them as incredibly different things, and in fact goes out of its way to equate them, showing all types of love as equally valid and beautiful. i don't think this applies specifically to Miko and Miki, I think this is a general thing for pretty much every positive character relationship in the show where romantic love wouldn't be actively inappropriate.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
also, on a less :yikes: note, there's not really any room for debate on the time loop thing; the existence of the 70s Devilman anime in Crybaby's universe pretty much seals it

now, if you want to interpret the ending as the end of the loop because of the two moons, then that's fine, but the loop thing is absolutely addressed in Crybaby, just really obliquely and in a way that looks like a meta gag unless you're already aware of the plot thread

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

dogsicle posted:

i don't think the old show existing seals anything tbh. if you don't apply any outside logic (e.g. devilman lady, violence jack), it honestly just seems like a weird yuasa joke while the ending is obviously setting up for a renewal of earth that won't be the same as what we just saw

if it's just a weird yuasa joke, then it's a huge coincidence that it lines up more or less perfectly with the way the time loop poo poo is established as working.

e: also i don't think pener is really completely wrong, in the sense that he's starting from correct premises. i think it's more accurate to say that Crybaby uses sex as a visual metaphor for base, animalistic urges than it is to say that Crybaby is outright anti-sex, and i would use pretty much all the same evidence pener's putting forth to support that claim.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Jan 21, 2018

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

dogsicle posted:

all of that is established in material completely outside of the show though. yuasa can make his joke have some basis in the wider canon of go nagai without it actually having bearing on the show, since it really isn't elaborated on

to be honest i mostly just want it to be a thing because getting multiple seasons of Crybaby, each with some wunderkind anime person doing their own take on the Devilman story, would be loving beyond amazing

like, Yuasa is pretty loving hard to top, but imagine if they got Takeshi Koike or Hideaki Anno to do a season

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Compendium posted:

The theme being make sure it's age-appropriate, consensual and have no demons and satanic parties involved?

i would strongly argue the last of those as part of the theme, given the fact that having demons and satanic parties involved turns Akira into Literally Jesus

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Okay, seriously, what the gently caress is "subculture"

Japanese nerds seem really obsessed with how much "subculture" sucks and yet their use of the word (in contexts like that review and Pop Team Epic) has basically no relation at all to what I understand the word to mean

e: also yeah, that guy sounds like a huge idiot rear end in a top hat and i really hope he's getting ripped in the comments

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Being foreign adaptations means they don't have to care about it I suppose. They're not "official." Ghost in the Shell did end up being a huge piece of poo poo as an adaptation and a film on its own, so not caring was the right move.

Death Note loving ruled (and had the original mangaka's 100% approval)

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
honestly, the more i think about this the more confused i get. this series is absolutely hardcore otaku pandering. it's a faithful adaptation of a 45-year-old Go Nagai series that most non-otaku had never heard of prior to Crybaby but most otaku loving revere. is it... somehow not pandering to otaku because they actually tried to make a good series instead of just crapping out some low-effort nonsense? because the simple fact that Devilman Crybaby exists, at all, is in and of itself Netflix trying to pander to otaku.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Other than that it just comes off as edgy for its own sake, like any other 90s OVA. It's impossible to even tell what's going on unless you come in being familiar with the source material.

I mean, this is partly a fair point, but it's also a little silly since Amon, from what I understand, is supposed to be a late conclusion to the Birth/Demon Bird OVAs rather than its own thing (people seem to be under the impression that it's an adaptation of the Amon manga, but it's absolutely not and is really more of a tweaked version of the original manga's last volume or so). Yeah, if you jump into the ending without watching the first two beforehand, it's gonna be a little incomprehensible, but I think you can basically watch the 3 OVAs as a piece and more or less understand what's going on.

e: also, honestly, to the person asking for Devilman recs, you've more or less exhausted the stuff that people are gonna rec you without massive cautions. Lady is the worst about it, but this is a franchise that gets Pretty loving Nasty at times (Amon: Apocalypse of Devilman is the only anime I've ever seen where the protagonist eats a loving baby on-camera).

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jan 23, 2018

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I don't think anyone's gonna disagree with that, the 80s and 90s were a loving magical time for anime and OVAs were where most of that ended up shining through.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
So, uh, holy gently caress, TVTropes just informed me that Go Nagai did a really faithful manga version of the Inferno part of The Divine Comedy. Has this ever been translated? I need to inject all of that into my eyeballs right the gently caress now.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
so I started reading Violence Jack and

that bit with Shingo and the tiger

where the tiger rushes past Shingo and he just nuts so hard it shoots out his loincloth

what the gently caress Go Nagai :psyduck:

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
WHY IS THE TIGER'S TONGUE TURNING INTO A DONG

WHAT IS GOING ON HERE

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
welp I just saw a woman getting tongue-hosed by a tiger

this is... this is one of the most completely bonkers things I have ever read in my entire life

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
apparently when Violence Jack gets angry a giant loving eagle made of light shoots out of his chest

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
OH MY GOD JACK JUST TELEPORTED USING THE EAGLE

e: HE JUST RESURRECTED THE TIGER, HOLY gently caress ZOMBIE TIGER

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I would say that very much depends on the series. Going along with the yandere example, Kaede from Shuffle is kind of confusing unless you know Japanese nerds get a boner for crazy girls, because she's kind of just a random horror villain that got shoehorned into a harem comedy series. Yuno from Mirai Nikki, on the other hand, is one of the two protags of the series, so a *lot* of time gets spent on her mental state and the reasons for it, and I could see someone watching the show who's totally unfamiliar with the trope still being able to comprehend her deal just fine.

Same with tsunderes: Asuka from Evangelion is generally considered a tsundere, but she's a lot less immediately "what the gently caress"-inducing than your average Rie Kugimiya character.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
yeah "some anime is incomprehensible unless you're already a weeaboo" is one of the coldest takes about anime imaginable

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

DisDisDis posted:

Much like when reading postmodernist fiction you have to let everything that happens in Eromanga-Sensei wash over you and try to make sense of it later

honestly you bringing that up basically made it click for me

there's a lot of anime targeted toward weeb shits that is pretty much about anime, and probably completely loving incomprehensible unless you're already really familiar with anime fandom in Japan because it's assuming you're going into it with a deep knowledge of that poo poo already. Lucky Star or that I Can't Understand What My Husband Is Saying show or Genshiken would be more... uh, benign examples of this phenomenon (less so Genshiken than the other two IIRC but it's there). it's not all anime, and it's not even necessarily a large chunk of anime, but it tends to get outsized prominence in anime discussion communities because the loudest weeaboos are the ones who tend to actually understand that poo poo.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
unlike the version on Netflix, which... i guess doesn't? :psyduck:

e: like, I genuinely don't understand why anyone would buy the BDs, it's not like we can't watch the series easily already and they give a poo poo about streaming numbers waaaay more than physical media sales.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Raxivace posted:

Considering Netflix helped fund Crybaby, wouldn't they be able to stream it legally for free indefinitely? If that's the case it doesn't seem like there would be much reason to take it off.

This, essentially

Also: watching it on Netflix encourages Netflix to throw more fucktons of money at Yuasa to make cool poo poo

• Locked thread