Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
I’m so glad I stuck with the show after feeling kinda iffy about not being sure what it was trying to do initially. I really applaud Yuasa in making an adaptation that’s at the same time faithful, fresh and a kind of a highly entertaining and self-indulgent auteur fanwork. It’s obvious he must be highly into the source material.

I should totally check out the original manga

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Most all of Go Nagai's works are sort of cornerstones for the entire medium of Anime.
Hes up there with Tezuka and Miyazaki. Respect comes with being in the industry.

It was the best part realizing that! Like holy poo poo a vast majority of Japanese media I like is built on the legacy of this series because the creators of those pieces of media likely read Nagai as kids

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

tl note: debiru means akuma

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

This isn’t really a concept that’s exclusive to ”highly japanese” works. Any work that fails to explain essential information based on the assumption you already know it based on the context of the work for example within the genre it belongs to is pretty flawed. It could be a point if you were talking about something within japanese culture as a larger concept not being explained, like historical facts anyone in japan could be assumed to know, if the work is primarily aimed for an audience within its country of production, but if you’re talking about tropes existing in this niche anime sphere the ”japaneseness” doesn’t excuse it. It’d just be bad fanfic level writing that can only sustain itself within a pre-existing media consuming community.

I honestly think the works that aim to subvert these insular tropes are partially popular in the west because they open up these conventions of writing within an insular context by turning for example character types that are accepted at face value because the audience is familiar with them to characters that follow these types for well established reasons.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Maybe that’s even a part why older, formative works in japanese media being readapted for modern audiences tend to gain so much traction in the west. While containing even older influence they’re less esoteric in their narrative content because they’re from so far back in the stack of the medium building upon itself. I think it’s really cool and I’d love to see a new push in raising awareness for the roots of the medium

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

He's clearly a rowdy yanki

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Touching Devilman's titty like that is a bit intimate. Do you reckon Mazinger is a big ol gay too

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Apocalypse of Devilman sucks specifically because Devilman has weird chitin pants instead of hair pants

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

afaik Crybaby is the first adaptation that actually goes from the beginning to the end

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Most Devilman spinoffs seem very dodgy/creepy and maybe a really good director could salvage them, but I feel like doing something like Violence Jack would be a safer bet

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

It's hilarious to me that out of all the adaptations Go Nagai World is the one with the most penis on screen

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

To be fair that villain trope is pretty universal and kinda lovely. Even if I approve of our local androgyne Satan, which I can justify in my mind as just esotericism regarding angels

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Aurora posted:

miko is a lesbian

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Also to weigh in on weird trans reading posting, what actually resonated to me the most in Devilman was the narrative undercurrent of how the main characters’ own bodies are a root of so much mental anguish and eventually ostracization.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Let Satan have their penis 2018

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Nina posted:

Also to weigh in on weird trans reading posting, what actually resonated to me the most in Devilman was the narrative undercurrent of how the main characters’ own bodies are a root of so much mental anguish and eventually ostracization.

Actually let’s build one this. The entire plot starts off as characters trying to adjust their selves in this social dynamic where they’re stuck between the contexts of two norms as a human and a demon, eventually Akira and Miko embrace this and develop strong identities based on their non-conforming existences (while Koda just kinda gives in to a society’s demands to avoid pain) and ultimately their enemies become those who insist they’re one or the other and commit violence upon them solely based on who they are. The good guys are the ones who accept ”if you say you’re a devilman of course you’re a devilman.”

See and I didn’t even mention big tits once.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Miko’s a big ol goddamn gay

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Bisexuals are gay

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

The only heterosexual character is the turtle demon from Go Nagai World

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Apparently Miko is a lesbian because lesbians can't be trans, if the last several pages are anything to go on.

Lesbians can be trans for sure. But they are women.

Have some consistency with bad opinions at least

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

”Miko is a man so she’s not gay” was a hilarious argument anyway since that would just make all her relations with men gay instead.

Miko is a woman btw, and a lesbian

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

The show is super uneven but the back half is great, I appreciate the artistry that went into even the front half and it’s carried by the interesting, unusual characters. So overall I ended up somewhere in the range of ”yep I dig this”

I feel like ending well and having strong characters can absolutely save a story that loses its thread sometimes

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

tithin posted:

Can some one confirm that Miko is a trans lesbian demon for me?

It’s cool I can confirm it. Yuasa Devilman is my uncle

Alan_Shore posted:

I guess I'm just confused. Why not say Miko is bi? If she's a lesbian she's also straight, so isn't bi OK?

Because it’s a convenient umbrella term and a much stronger identifier than saying ”she’s bi”.

Hell as a gay trans woman who’s bisexual I just like to use it because it’s more comfortable to say ”I’m gay” due to how the word evokes a sense of community and sense of belonging to this queer social context that ”I’m bi” doesn’t incite

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Still really sad we never got like a fight scene with penises just flopping about as the characters zoom around. This would’ve been the right series for that

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

That made me remember there are three identical looking characters in the show and I can’t figure out what the idea behind that was at all. I didn’t even realize Kukun died until someone told me hey these are totally unrelated people. How sad

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

I was so convinced Koda was just demon Kukun for way too long

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

I'll save your rear end this one time and post the artist twitter at least https://twitter.com/leglegleng

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Space Flower posted:

you can find the source if you hit 'view image' because the pixiv id is in it, and if you use image search engines like iqdb/saucenao you'll also arrive there

galaxy brain: if you ever see 'master1200' in a filename it marks it as actually a downsized version of the original image (you have to click the 'expand' button in the image-set viewer on pixiv to get the original). beware of image samples if you are ever collecting 500 fanarts of a character

:yeah:

Learning the mysterious pixiv glyphs will make your anime fanart finding life much easier

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Ibram Gaunt posted:

All of my favorite Devilmen come over to my house for a HUGE party

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Bringing people together was the real devil power all along

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

I thought Jenny and co. were possessing/controlling the soldiers to find Satan or something

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Using social media in place of the telepathy from the original was a great move just for the stuff like ”I told my wife I’m a devilman”

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Maybe I give the show too much slack but whenever something felt weird narratively I reminded myself it's an adaptation of an incredibly dorky 70s manga.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Endorph posted:

hell, what red blooded woman HASNT wanted to gently caress a spider

:yeah:

Optimal world Miki would be the cleaver-toting Go Nagai World one but she’s gay and fucks a spider tbh

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

The show full of very gay goals. But I’m particular to Miko.

It’s the eight legs and powerful mandibles intensity you see

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Go Nagai didn’t father the Miko is a lesbian genre for this kind of talk to take place

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Sorry I only like wholesome gays and ultraviolence

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Devilman Classic Collection is a really high quality book and I'm glad I bought it but I was super confused about the chapter selection until I found out Shin Devilman has apparently been included as part of most publications of regular Devilman for a while now. I gotta say I'm not a huge fan of that choice because it doesn't fit in elegantly at all, and that's not even going into its plot of stuff like "Hitler hated the jews because time traveling demons I guess"

Still worth it for huge color spreads of angel dick

• Locked thread