Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Hype for Netflix and watching the show

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

drrockso20 posted:

Yeah I'm not a fan, but I'll admit I have a extremely low tolerance for bleak or dark in my media, reality is hosed up enough as it is, don't need my media that way either

also I won't deny that I'm getting really sick of media depicting God as evil

I completely disagree about that, honestly how Humanity's decline was shown completely destroyed my suspension of disbelief for the show, it's ridiculous that one athlete turning into a monster, no matter how horrid the results, would be enough to cause civilization to collapse so quickly and so viciously, even with the fact that the Demons had infiltrated at least several governments and militaries(which leads into another thing that annoys me, sure they explained the origin for demons, but they didn't explain at all how they got so organized in the modern day), it's the kind of writing only a nihilistic moron could come up with(if it's not obvious I honestly have a very low opinion of Go Nagai as both a writer and person, even if I am a huge Mazinger fan)

Nah that sounds about right for humanity who are quite to happy to genocide each other due to a slight difference in skin colour.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

drrockso20 posted:

I'm honestly amazed Hollywood hasn't tried adapting Guyver again, or indeed how it's been barely touched as a franchise since the 90s outside of the 2006 anime

They're waiting for the manga to finish some time after Berserk

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The Devilman OAV dub is is a work of art

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The old anime is almost completely different and has a happy ending.

The 60's one, not the OAV

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Sure

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Though weirdly the 60's one is kinda darker at the start because after Amon takes over Akira is literally dead from that point on and it's just Amon in his body trying to figure out how to pretend to be human. Cause the whole thing is so goofy and 60's that has zero weight.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The op is amazing and I loving love Takkyu Ishino.

Stop autoskipping it Netflix you piece of poo poo

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Jan 6, 2018

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Shin Godzilla is Rebuild 4.0

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Berserk will finish before The Guyver does.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Honestly after the manga and 90's oavs you're better off looking up over stuff that was inspired by it like The Guyver and Parasyte.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

StrixNebulosa posted:

I feel like Go Nagai drew Devilman Lady with one hand in his pants, it's just that horny. I read the first two volumes this morning and the boobs are out in force, and not in a good way. :yikes:

Devilman Lady is half rape and half making the end of the original manga worse so you're not really missing out on much.

The anime is slightly more interesting but has terrible animation and a non-ending.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's been a long time since I read it but from what I remember it's basically Nagai looking back on his most popular series and going 'oh wow that ending was a little rough huh, here I made a direct sequel with a happy one instead'.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Speaking of stuff inspired by Devilman, the 2006 The Guyver TV series just got put up on Crunchy. From what I remember it's a fairly decent retelling of the same manga volumes the old OVAs coveted without the weird changes (and a lot less gore unfortunately, since it was on TV).

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I've got bad news about the story getting finished....

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Not really, you could call Ryo and Akira's relationship ambiguous but that's about it.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

jfc

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

US is in the lead of adding a lesbian for sweeps and then killing them off sure

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

C-SPAN Caller posted:

I mean you can just be Japan and not have any lesbians but instead pretend the girls are

Sure if you just ignore the shows with actual gay characters in

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Straights ruin everything

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's probably someone that thinks that the western perception of anime is still sex & violence cartoons, which is still somewhat still true, which is why it got chosen to be a major Netflix thing instead of something more representative of current anime trends. That it's based on a classic and influential manga is seen as less important than why it was chosen to have a bunch of Netflix money poured in.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Bust Rodd posted:

I feel like the reason I liked Crybaby so much is that whenever I try to get into an “Otaku” Anime I invariably meet a character whose role/motivations totally go over my head. I ask people “why is this cat witch girl so horny and annoying?” and they go “Oh that’s a Shoinjin (I made this word up), she’s the traditional horny cat witch it’s very Japanese.” and I just tank my interest immediately because I just doubt I’ll ever understand her role or why it matters.

Crybaby didn’t have that for me. Even while I didn’t understand the concept of Super-High Schooler, I understand the dudes character, his arc, his boyfriend, there was no mystery. Everyone in Crybaby shows up and does their job without anyone needing to fill in the gaps. That’s probably part of its success.

You're either an idiot, been talking to idiots or both

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Seems unfair to call a casual viewer an idiot because they're not familiar with cultural touchstones that are completely foreign to them.

I'm not giving the benefit of the doubt to someone who accidentally posted 'ironic gamergater poo poo in the PS4 thread instead of GBS.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The impenetrable cultural touchstone of sees a boobie -> gets a nosebleed

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I've never met a European that found Seinfeld funny so maybe he's onto something.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Everything Nagai does is a Devilman story eventually

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah no everything is 'season 1' even if it got cancelled after one years ago.

• Locked thread