Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Calvin Coolposts
Jun 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
I really liked this show, it got me hyped as hell to reread the manga when it comes out this year. This is also the first Yuasa show I've ever seen and I really like his style, I'm definitely going to go check out his earlier work.

Is the Cyborg 009 vs. Devilman show on Netflix worth watching?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calvin Coolposts
Jun 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
Oh I really liked that Cyborg 009 show, so yeah I'll definitely check it out.

Also just watched the opening for Kemonozume on youtube and I'm immediately sold on it, thanks for the recommendation.

Calvin Coolposts
Jun 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
i've gone over the data and it checks out.

Calvin Coolposts
Jun 22, 2004

Fun Shoe

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

the apocalypse is not a romantic setting.

speak for yourself, sir.

Calvin Coolposts
Jun 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
So back when I was 17 or 18, I got all five volumes of the bilingual editions of the Devilman manga from some international online bookstore. As a teenage boy that just finally figured out that they were ~*~bisexual~*~ and had a lot of confused feelings about it due to growing up in a super conservative Christian home, I really appreciated Devilman because I could relate to Akira for being a confused teenager that turned into a monster and was romantically interested in both a girl (Miki) and a boy (Ryo). It's been over a decade since I've read it (since when I went off to college my mom found them and threw them out lol) so I don't know how much of that is actual text/subtext and how much is stuff I read into it, but it did help me sort out a lot of my feelings and made me more comfortable accepting being bi. And I really appreciate that crybaby is even gayer than the manga (and I'm including Miko/Miki in that, sorry if that gaslights anyone), and hope that it helps out any queer kids watching it on Netflix nowadays in a similar way.

Anyway, that's my story about Devilman and being gay, thanks for listening. If anybody has a similar story about Devilman or some other show please share it and maybe the thread will be better.

Calvin Coolposts
Jun 22, 2004

Fun Shoe

Endorph posted:

quote this post if you think the russian dog man is denying the validity of readings different from his

yes, which is kind of hilarious considering he was throwing around gaslighting accusations earlier but please god can we talk about anything else

Calvin Coolposts
Jun 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
shin jeeg is good, but shin mazinger is better imho. if i had crazy billionaire money, i'd pay imagawa to do a three hour remake of Mazinger Z vs. Devilman.

Calvin Coolposts
Jun 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
I really liked the stuff with Zeus and the weird first episode and the narration, but I really like Imagawa and shin mazinger was basically Imagawa just going apeshit with his own style so I get how it wouldn't work for everybody. the cliffhanger/anti-climax end was kind of a bummer, though. agreed about shin jeeg, though, plus I dug how it was more of a sequel than a remake.

also, i'm about halfway through the first volume of devilman lady and goddam go nagai is just the horniest motherfucker alive, isn't he? not sure I'm gonna finish it.

Calvin Coolposts
Jun 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
Re: Cutie Honey owns, is the live action movie that came out around the same time any good?

Calvin Coolposts
Jun 22, 2004

Fun Shoe

RottenK posted:

instead of yet another willfully dense motherfucker lets talk about Devilman Saga

i heard it's supposed to a third part of the main story, following after Devilman Lady, and that it's set in the future? i think it's still ongoing, even

has anyone here read it and is it any good?

It is still ongoing as far as I know, but only the first volume is translated out there on the internet. I haven't read it yet cause I'm saving it for when I finish reading lady (which hoo boy that's a trip right there) but it looks interesting and I hope somebody gets to translating it soon.

Calvin Coolposts
Jun 22, 2004

Fun Shoe

DisDisDis posted:

Finished Lady. It was great honestly. I mean I have a ton of complaints but it was all redeemed by the ending. The journey to hell bit in the middle was fantastic too. The monster of the week stuff dragged on waaaay to long but it gave us the battle in the snow bit which was amazing. There's too much rape. I think the generally dismissive attitude I've seen people take toward it is lame and you should just be able to list the cons of it (too long, all the rape scenes) and let people decide if they don't want to read it.

Now more than ever I want the Sayo Yamamoto adaptation. Dav told me to read Vs. Cutie Honey so that's what I'm gonna do next.

I'm a little bit over halfway through it myself and agree with everything here. It has its problems (mainly all the rape) but when it's good it's real good. I'm just mad the armor she wore in the snow battle chapters didn't come back (at least not yet from where i'm at) cause its rad as hell.

Calvin Coolposts
Jun 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
I'm like two volumes away from finishing Lady and all of the criticisms of it are true but for some reason I like it anyway. It's really jumbled and doesn't make a lot of sense and holy gently caress there's a bunch of weird stuff in it, but there's some really cool parts and there's the potential for a good story in there somewhere. Basically I think someone should make an anime out of it where they get rid of all the rape and cut the story down to bare essentials.

Also I really liked the random volume-long random discussions about theology or whatever but that's probably just because i'm a boring dork to begin with so it was right up my alley.

Calvin Coolposts
Jun 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
Ah, I just read the volume of Devilman Saga that's translated into English and it was really good! You can tell Nagai is putting a lot of thought into it, everything was unfolding slowly but not boringly, and there wasn't any rape in it, so that was a very welcome change of pace from Lady. But my decision to not take Japanese in college for my foreign language bites me in the rear end again, because it ends on a cliffhanger and the guy that was translating it is very adamant about only translating the first volume for whatever reason. Oh well, hopefully Crybaby was popular enough that somebody else picks it up eventually.

edit: it was also drawn a lot better than Lady was, I assume because he was using both hands to draw this time :derp:

Calvin Coolposts fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Mar 5, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calvin Coolposts
Jun 22, 2004

Fun Shoe

DisDisDis posted:

do I have to quote that amazing Lady page a third time

nah, I'm mostly just poking fun, there was a lot of really great art in Lady too. Saga was just a little more consistent if that makes sense.

• Locked thread