Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

SPOILERS

As a huge fan of Devilman (mainly the OVA with the awesome Manga dub I got on VHS like 20 years ago, and when I found out 2 months ago there was a THIRD series by the same studio where they were all chibi AND it was on YouTube I was over the drat moon. Seriously I love that art style, score, everything) I enjoyed this a lot.

I thought the crybaby title and theme was weird at first, but it all came together in the end. The art style was a bit hit or miss, generally hit though (this was the same guy who did Kaiba? I tapped out of that after that abysmal second episode. Christ). Also the running stuff came together really nicely.

I was hoping that they'd do something different with the ending, cos you know it's a bit of a Debbie Downer, but it's good to have a whole contained Devilman anime from beginning to end (I've never seen the old show, so I don't know if they finished it, and why WAS that show in this show? That didn't make much sense thematically). I was surprised they didn't bring out Amon, but maybe that would be too messy.

Loved that last fight! It was insane. I'm glad it was a bit more of a back and forth instead of a one shot kill in the manga. They really knocked the last few episodes out of the park, some really hard hitting stuff. Everything with Miki's family was loving awful and heartbreaking, Jesus. I was really hoping Miki would survive this time.

I think they dropped the ball with Jinmen and Silene. The OVA did both those plot points and fights so much better. Also not sure how Ryo became a world famous super rich professor by the time he's like 18, but oh well. I also enjoyed him talking in English, made him seem more educated and worldy.

Maybe they can do Devilman Lady next, and continue the story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

wielder posted:

Frankly, I thought this was a great watch. If I had to give a rating to Devilman Crybaby, it would be about 8/10. Admittedly, the pacing might have benefitted from an extra episode or two to make the flow feel natural. I think that much is hard to deny. Why did they end up with just ten episodes though? That's such a strange number for an anime production.

Like Darth Walrus mentioned, I would argue this adaptation was all about being true to the core underlying themes of Devilman. Obviously, I mean the themes as interpreted by Masaaki Yuasa himself since this anime reflects his personal style and vision quite strongly, including his own ideas about psychosexuality and the relationship between humans and demons as viewed through a surrealist perspective. His goal wasn't to provide an extremely literal animated version of every single panel from the manga.

In short, we did get to see the original ending of Devilman and the same general framework with some of the same key events but with lots of individual modifications to the narrative along the way.

Which is fine by me. I don't think you hire someone as creative as Masaaki Yuasa to direct a project without giving him the freedom to convey his feelings and thoughts about Devilman. Said freedom brings the potential for both great and not-so-great decisions that will not be equally appreciated by everyone in the audience, yet that is precisely how a lot of artistic content works in this world.

The specific changes vary in terms of concept and execution quality, yet I would argue most of them worked for me. I had no problems with Ryo's and Akira's backstory here, at least not once they decided to focus on it. I wasn't too convinced by what they tried to do with Jinmen (the turtle) in the fourth episode, but appreciated that they gave Silene and Kaim a little more to do here than in the Devilman manga before their fight. Which I thought was also decently adapted despite not being too long.

I am in special disagreement with Davincie about the added sports content being a bad thing. On the contrary, I had a lot of questions about that approach at the start of the anime, yet by the end it all made sense to me once they had taken the metaphor to its logical outcome and tied it to the story's conclusion.

Furthermore, I think Miki's portrayal was an overall improvement here in terms of giving the girl a greater role and additional relevance to the themes, despite admitting that I do tend to prefer her fiery attitude from the manga. To be clear about this: Miki was more of a comedic relief character in the original manga until the unforgettable final sequence, which I would add was also one of the strongest episodes of the adaptation.

I was indifferent to the reporter. He wasn't necessary, but I think he fit right in. Oh, I also liked this version of Miko.

Mind you, I can understand why someone who just wanted a straightforward adaptation might not feel satisfied with the results. But for me it's entirely possible to appreciate the original manga and this version on their own terms. After all, we get to enjoy more content that way and see different takes on the subject matter. Which Go Nagai seems to be totally fine with, according to the interviews he's given about the project.

A very good post.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I saw an article online that said it's one of the top streaming series this month, hopefully its success will bring Devilman Lady (or motherfucking GUYVER I hope I can see the end of that story sometime!)

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Avynte posted:

Having never heard of Devilman before and finishing it in one sitting, holy poo poo I was not expecting that kind of ride. By the time episode 9 finished, I was so emotionally drained that the final episode seemed more like an epilogue/wrap up than anything.

My biggest criticism would be how pitch black most of the action scenes were made it difficult to follow, but the :catdrugs: ultraviolence made up for it.

DEFINITELY watch the two OVAs if you enjoyed this. English or Japanese, it doesn't matter.

Even if the movie is so-so I love the end theme of Apocalypse of Devilman. It fits the mood just right https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnG1D2Oz9Lk

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I'm so glad people are being introduced to the joys of Devilman!

I read Amon: The Darkside of Devilman today and gently caress me just what the Christ was going on with all the T Rex's and people melting and creepy angels

I pre-ordered the new translation of the original Manga, thanks for the link! I bought the OVA soundtrack on vinyl over Christmas, that poo poo owns

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Avynte posted:

The motorcycle post credits scene was probably the one that hit me the hardest. I won't lie, I was misty-eyed as gently caress there.

What episode was this again?

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Yeah Zenon kinda got one-shotted in this adaptation.

I think people have some valid points about Ryo and their friendship. Their friendship is way more believable in the OVAs. He's less of a psychopath and they both help each other out. God I wish they'd made a couple more (though oddly enough the chibi parody version they made after actually kinda sorta does do this version with everything going to hell at the end, it's pretty weird but there's some laughs in there).

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I always thought the Amon: Apocalypse of Devilman OVA was supposed to basically be the third OVA.

It could be, but it's a different studio, different director/actors/composer, so for me it's not part of that particular story. Also Ryo is barely in it.

That reminds me, I was very surprised that they killed off Psycho Jenny in this version. That never happens (she's way too powerful). Also she was hilarious in human form, the most hosed up terrifying assistant you ever had.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Haha yeah, that's the one I was talking about. I liked it! It's all on YouTube.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I gave up on Kaiba after that abysmal second episode.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Please, no!

It was the second episode with the exploding sex people right?

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Mido exploded an old man's head while sexing him and carried on sexing.

This was normal compared to Kaiba

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Lupin the Third loving Owns. I just watched the new series in Italy, it's awesome. Theme song rules too. He's the best.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Darth Walrus posted:

Ryo didn’t win. Akira’s death broke him, and God defeated him again. You see the reset process happening post-credits - it looks just like Satan’s first defeat at the very beginning of the show.

The old Devilman show is a reference to a concept that first cropped up in Devilman Lady - every time God defeats Satan, he resets the world and Akira and Ryo’s adventures become fiction. It’s an ominous little warning - all this has happened before, all this will happen again - which is delivered upon with the reset at the end, as the old, ruined Earth becomes another moon.

Yeah, but doesn't Violence Jack happen afterwards? So the reset happens sometime after that battle.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

It's a shame there's no way to tell if this is doing well. Seems like a lot of people are talking about it and it's brought in tons of new Devilmen. Then Netflix commissions Guyver and I'm 13 again

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Sakurazuka posted:

Speaking of stuff inspired by Devilman, the 2006 The Guyver TV series just got put up on Crunchy. From what I remember it's a fairly decent retelling of the same manga volumes the old OVAs coveted without the weird changes (and a lot less gore unfortunately, since it was on TV).

It's good, but it doesn't finish the story. It just sorta ends.

The old OVAs (12 VHS tapes!) were my first introduction to anime. Ah, memories.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Are you trying to tell me that they never finished writing the drat Manga!? I'm sure they did, it just was never translated, right guys?

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Just been listening to the soundtrack on YouTube. It actually rocks.

The second best opening, Lupin III Part IV, was already posted, so submitted for your approval, here's the OG best opening https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xX5i50oLg_A

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Devilman Crybaby inspiring a whole new generation of Devilmen. That's awesome

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

https://twitter.com/mar_mar_draws/status/952426369580806144?ref_src=twcamp%5Eshare%7Ctwsrc%5Em5%7Ctwgr%5Eemail%7Ctwcon%5E7046%7Ctwterm%5E1

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Smoking Crow posted:

I disagree about binge watching because I think I would have liked the first 4 episodes more if I had watched them with a week's break

It's too much bad poo poo at one time

I mean, no one forced you to binge.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I read Devilman Lady a while back and don't remember being too offended

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I was just thinking of this thread and all the LGBT talk this show has generated and then I thought "there aren't actually any gay relationships in this show?"

Ryo is Satan, and is neither male or female. Akira loves Miki, who loves Akira. Mido is in a relationship with that rapper and thinks about Akira's huge dong.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

tithin posted:

You're forgetting the rear end in a top hat devilman who turns on Akira. His entire reason for turning in the first place is his best friend / lover being killed by a demon

he was very explicitly gay

Yup, I knew there was something I was forgetting! Just getting to that episode now on my rewatch.

Man, the first scene of episode 1 makes complete sense on a rewatch.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Endorph posted:

*character literally turns to other character and says they love him, with romantic undertones*

"God, you guys are overreading it."

I think it's more like

*character becomes their true self, which is both and neither male and/or female, and professes love to a male character*

"God, this is so gay it's great"

Edit: Satan says he/she doesn't believe in love, but he/she does really, just didn't realize it

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Srice posted:

The straightest thing that a man can do is to gently caress another man.

Are you talking about Kudo? Because I already said I forgot about that relationship

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Just letting them be gay would be missing the forest for the trees, because the queer reading goes deeper than sexuality. Becoming a devilman is a literal transhuman experience, which openly confronts the inherent value of humanity as a natural inborn trait. The heroes are heroes because they defy their very natures, even when they're heightened by demonic impulse. There's a trans dialectic coursing through the narrative that goes all the way down to The Devil Himself, who overcomes his nature as a being designed by God to be more perfectly beautiful and intelligent than any living thing on Earth, to realize the human experience. It's literally an anti-:biotruths: narrative.

A good post.

Also I'd say Miki and Mido are straight. It doesn't matter.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

C-SPAN Caller posted:

Maybe one day Japan won't suck as much about gay people so gay anime fans don't have to latch onto subtext and can just enjoy actual gays in their cartoons

I dunno it feels like Japan is ahead of America in terms of depictions onscreen? What does everyone think?

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

How many beings are aware of the time loop? Jenny, Satan, I think Akira in Devilman Lady, and God?

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Afaik it's just Jenny. Akira and Ryo are only aware of previous cycles if their memories are restored.

True, I was counting Satan when he gets his memory restored, but it's then erased again (I forgot Akira thought it was an alternate reality). Though doesn't Devilman Lady end with them realizing it's a time loop, banding together and going off to fight God?

This story is insane and I love it.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Nice! What did you think of the OVAs? Don't forget to watch the Chibi world after,same studio and style!

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I want that soundtrack. I doubly want it on vinyl. Not for $300 though lol

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Lupin III Netflix series? :fap:

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

How is Miko a lesbian when she went on a date and had feelings for the rapper guy and then hosed that skeezy dude? Are you using a different definition of lesbian?

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I guess I'm just confused. Why not say Miko is bi? If she's a lesbian she's also straight, so isn't bi OK?

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Just finished my rewatch and drat episode 9 hit a lot harder this time. Love that closing song, too. I made my GF watch it, now she's suitably depressed :good:

I love all the stupid Devilman memes, and great art that's out there!

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

A lot of the fan art is based around the OVAs, and many people decry Crybaby Roy's lack of sideburns. It warms my heart.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

drat.

Looking at the hash tag, too many people are drawing Mido without her huge honkers. Shameful.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Aww man, happier times :unsmith:

Hey it's my old friend Ryo!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I read the first volume of Devilman Grimoire and I really like it. It's very different so far (no Ryo, what the heck) but I like the witch stuff, Miki, and it's super gorey. Recommended!

• Locked thread