Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I'm waaaaay to lazy to make a fancy OP with all the cast and whatnot...but welcome to the thread for.....THE AMAZING RACE

Season 30 is an all newbie season, though there is a team of Big Brother alumni

Good luck, travel safe......POST!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bigE
Nov 26, 2004

Oh, ye of little faith.
I thought that was a pretty good premiere, especially because it didn't have any of the gimmickry like the first legs of recent seasons (express passes to hand out, instant eliminations, etc).

Random thoughts:

My first thought when I saw Team Indy: "Well, they should be able to handle manual transmissions."

That yoga team got really mad, really fast on the first leg. If they survive, I can't imagine they'll start doing better.

The finish was very exciting, that would have been an agonizing way to lose.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, overall a pretty good premiere. Always nice to see Iceland.

Not looking forward to the gimmicks teased in the preview though

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I'm so glad team Basketball escaped that. They are my favorite

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Really emphasized how little you can trust the editing in this show, unless there's a clock or countdown timer.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

jivjov posted:

Really emphasized how little you can trust the editing in this show, unless there's a clock or countdown timer.

Editing in reality shows is for excitement, not accuracy. Much like AI in Mario Kart is for challenge, not fairness.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

The Bloop posted:

Editing in reality shows is for excitement, not accuracy. Much like AI in Mario Kart is for challenge, not fairness.

Oh I'm not complaining too hard. I just personally sometimes lose track of how long a challenge or travel is "supposed" to be taking due to the edit. But, as you say, the presentation and excitement is the goal.

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
I always love The Amazing Race. Great to see it back. I'm hoping the gay musical guys go far.

Mind you, did anyone else watch the Season Preview?
Head to Head challenges? Yeah, okay?
Swapping partners? That's maybe a bridge too far.

Teckiwi
Dec 7, 2006

jivjov posted:

It's like Survivor, they choose a story arc and and work that weeks episode around it. ie someone who goes home might get a heroic immunity challange edit(it appears they were the final 2 left standing when they were actually out in 4th etc, theres a handful of cast interviews where they talk about it)

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

bigE posted:

That yoga team got really mad, really fast on the first leg. If they survive, I can't imagine they'll start doing better.

They got me mad too. I can’t wait to see them eliminated.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

They got me mad too. I can’t wait to see them eliminated.

:same:

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

The head to head thing is kinda fun but doing it right at the pit stop is lovely imo

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Yeah I was fine with how it ended but that wouldnt have been cool if that team had lost all the way down from second place or whatever. Plus Phil's commentary was terrible haha.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

bagrada posted:

Plus Phil's commentary was terrible haha.

I thought the same thing. They need to fly in Probst

Nexal
Apr 21, 2010

Moby - Extreme ways
It would be better if they implemented the head to head thing at the start of the leg instead at the end.
Just imagine if the last place would be 3 hours behind everyone else then beating the second last team at the pit stop head to head due and sending that team home.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I liked the head to head as well but also agree with everyone else that the implementation could have been better.

OTOH I'm glad that basically the only team I instantly didn't like (who did nothing in this episode to change that) is also gone because of it.

Other thought: watching Alex destroy the course was hilarious

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Nexal posted:

It would be better if they implemented the head to head thing at the start of the leg instead at the end.
Just imagine if the last place would be 3 hours behind everyone else then beating the second last team at the pit stop head to head due and sending that team home.
Yeah, I'd like it a lot better there.

Amazing Race has always stood out because the competitors get tested on multiple fronts; you can be not the fastest or strongest but compensate by keeping your heads under pressure and acing the mental challenges (of which there's always a lot) and using that to build a lead so you never have to get in a foot race. To go "haha nope we're testing just on speed now and also gently caress your lead" was such an antithesis of the show's appeal.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Nexal posted:

poo poo imagine if a team had got a penalty along the leg...

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

The other thing I don’t like is, let’s say you are the next to last team and you get to the H2H within 30 mins of the first team checking in, but the last team is like 4 hours behind. You shouldn’t get hosed at the start of the next leg for that.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I haven't watched this in like 10 years, decided to record this season. I miss the early seasons before they had eliminated cheating. It was more fun to watch people find ways around the rules.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I haven't seen this season at all. How are the petulant assholes from Big Brother doing?

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Propaganda Machine posted:

I haven't seen this season at all. How are the petulant assholes from Big Brother doing?

Too well for my liking.

And they aren't even acting like assholes so I can keep hating them.

The turn around time from Big Brother to The Amazing Race must have been pretty drat quick though. Like probably less than a month between shows. Not sure how long it takes to film a season of The Amazing Race and get it ready for TV.

Nexal
Apr 21, 2010

Moby - Extreme ways

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Too well for my liking.

And they aren't even acting like assholes so I can keep hating them.

The turn around time from Big Brother to The Amazing Race must have been pretty drat quick though. Like probably less than a month between shows. Not sure how long it takes to film a season of The Amazing Race and get it ready for TV.

It usually takes around 26-30 days to film it.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Seeing Shawn Marion and Cedric Ceballos get beat by Big Brother house dude is hard to watch even if there's like a 25 year age difference.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Rick posted:

Seeing Shawn Marion and Cedric Ceballos get beat by Big Brother house dude is hard to watch even if there's like a 25 year age difference.

Their height was a pretty big disadvantage as well to be fair

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

IcePhoenix posted:

Their height was a pretty big disadvantage as well to be fair

Definitely. I'm not going to complain if there's a sequence later where being tall is beneficial because moving that thing while bending over on top of it had to be hard.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Man, that roadblock seemed soul-crushing

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

jivjov posted:

Man, that roadblock seemed soul-crushing

Yea, that seemed like a truly brutal leg. Not only did they have to do that crazy road block, but then one of the detours had them dragging food all around the city too... I am glad team NBA made it through another week.

Guess I will spoil next weeks preview segment... Speed Bump (for NBA) with a Head to Head, like even if you take forever you still get a chance to stay in it

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Yea, that seemed like a truly brutal leg. Not only did they have to do that crazy road block, but then one of the detours had them dragging food all around the city too... I am glad team NBA made it through another week.

Guess I will spoil next weeks preview segment... Speed Bump (for NBA) with a Head to Head, like even if you take forever you still get a chance to stay in it

Looks like a head to head that heavily favors a skillset of being able to throw a small round object accurately at a target as well

This episode seemed kind of off to me, not sure why. I didn't feel much tension I guess, even before it became obvious that it was a non-elimination leg.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
That Roadblock is one of the coolest challenges they've ever done, I think. Such a good blend of physical, mental, and endurance testing. Plus it seemed really fun; run all around the city like lunatics chasing gnomes and going over obstacle courses! Amazing Race is at its best when you just sit there wishing you could be on the show doing something so unique and unreal in a beautiful exotic location.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
This is a very good season so far

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

The basketballers are my favorite team based on personality but man are they bad at this game

R to the J
Sep 2, 2004

The biggest e-penis of them all!

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

I think next week is a double episode, so maybe the Speed Bump and the Head to Head are on different legs? Wouldn't put it past them to have both in one, though.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Fuckin love this show, cast this season so far is cool (even BB team, definitely better than Brenchel or whatever the gently caress that abomination was called.) Anybody else notice the quick shot of the dude who cried through his whole season at the start of first episode?

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Sad to see Team NBA not make it through, they were enjoyable to watch even if they weren't too good at most of the challenges.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

You can tell the eaters never saw the show before coming on here. They just had no concept of what to look for with any of the challenges.

Nexal
Apr 21, 2010

Moby - Extreme ways
Once again head to head was put before the pit stop so that Phil could narrate it.

Otherwise the episode was great and the preview for next episode FRANZ is making comeback!!!

It has been great season so far and I honestly don't mind having double episodes when it's covering 1 country such as France which we clearly have seen enough.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Sad to see Team NBA not make it through, they were enjoyable to watch even if they weren't too good at most of the challenges.

I was definitely rooting for them but they were basically falling into the same pattern in every episode so I'm also kind of glad they're gone, I think the teams left are all more entertaining.

Also am I blind or did Evan not have her nose ring in before this episode? Because I saw it and was like "wait what?"

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.

IcePhoenix posted:

I was definitely rooting for them but they were basically falling into the same pattern in every episode so I'm also kind of glad they're gone, I think the teams left are all more entertaining.

Also am I blind or did Evan not have her nose ring in before this episode? Because I saw it and was like "wait what?"

I hadn't noticed it either, I guess she went to a combo Piercer-Dentist?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Nexal posted:

Once again head to head was put before the pit stop so that Phil could narrate it.

It's probably to add some tension so that a straggler team doesn't get dryfucked with a bad taxi/directions or a needle in the haystack detour.

They just get dryfucked for not knowing how to play bocce ball :v:

• Locked thread