Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Very excited for the literary adaptation of season 1 of The Trump Presidency.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

cowboy elvis posted:

I can't wait for the movie deal. I hope to god that Wolff is inking a movie deal for this.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Mueller's favorite reading material ITT.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I’d laugh really hard if Mueller wrote the foreward.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
I can't wait for it to be made into a movie so Trump doesn't have to read it.

Ceiling fan
Dec 26, 2003

I really like ceilings.
Dead Man’s Band
https://twitter.com/AoDespair/status/948924114370260995

That tears it. Everything in the book is true, and I'm ordering a copy.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Kindle version still says release date in Jan 9 :saddowns:

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
It’ll update. Kobo had it 1/9 for a bit and now my preorder shows 1/5.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Without amazon pushing the kindle version at midnight I doubt the east coast is going to get it in stores tomorrow due to the blizzard.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

cowboy elvis posted:

I'm loving stealing this.

M_Gargantua posted:

Without amazon pushing the kindle version at midnight I doubt the east coast is going to get it in stores tomorrow due to the blizzard.

Setting the kindle version at only $5 less than the hardcover was kind of a dick move. gently caress it, if electronic is $15 I'll pay 20 to have it on my shelf.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Its gonna be neat to see how this thing syncs up to the contents of the Mueller probe

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Can’t wait for THE MOOCH anecdotes

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
There area whole lot of people who think this book is a total lie and wrong. I assume they'll quiet down when the most interested parties refuse to face it in court.

Tone is not the same as lies.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
The Mooch requires no embellishment.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

cowboy elvis posted:

The Mooch requires no embellishment.

Dude just tells it like it is.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

mlmp08 posted:

Tone is not the same as lies.

it's pretty close. see the book jacket blurb

quote:

With extraordinary access to the Trump White House, Michael Wolff tells the inside story
of the most controversial presidency of our time

The first nine months of Donald Trump’s term were stormy, outrageous―and absolutely mesmerizing. Now, thanks to his deep access to the West Wing, bestselling author Michael Wolff tells the riveting story of how Trump launched a tenure as volatile and fiery as the man himself.

In this explosive book, Wolff provides a wealth of new details about the chaos in the Oval Office. Among the revelations:
-- What President Trump’s staff really thinks of him
-- What inspired Trump to claim he was wire-tapped by President Obama
-- Why FBI director James Comey was really fired
-- Why chief strategist Steve Bannon and Trump’s son-in-law Jared Kushner couldn’t be in the same room
-- Who is really directing the Trump administration’s strategy in the wake of Bannon’s firing
-- What the secret to communicating with Trump is
-- What the Trump administration has in common with the movie The Producers

Never before has a presidency so divided the American people. Brilliantly reported and astoundingly fresh, Michael Wolff’s Fire and Fury shows us how and why Donald Trump has become the king of discord and disunion.

and a self-styled "report" shouldn't be relying on the same technicalities re: "truth" as a white house press secretary

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I still laugh that Mooch went on record about Bannon being too busy sucking his own cock.

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007
Trump bad

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

unironically, yes, and I think the furor over this book will end up undermining the credibility of his opponents

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

i caved and ordered it

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

at the date posted:

I think the furor over this book will end up undermining the credibility of his opponents

lmao if you think this is true. Even if you think the book is 100% fabrication.

I'm not embracing just lying all day, but it's hard to imagine how just talking mad poo poo could hurt, given that the administration won with the strategy of "talk mad poo poo, even about science, facts, and my allies"

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

at the date posted:

unironically, yes, and I think the furor over this book will end up undermining the credibility of his opponents

At this point who are Trump's real enemies beyond himself and Mueller? If anything it seems like Trump's reaction to this book, combined with the unhinged operation of the Whitehouse generally, will only serve to further cement the view of most Americans that the Trump presidency is a total failure?

Do you have anyone in mind that this book will reflect negatively on outside of the administration? It's written by a guy they invited in to write a book.about them

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

at the date posted:

Yeah man, I'm sure this will make it impossible for me to bring the retired E-7 I work with around on Trump being bad; right after he gets done talking about Mexicans being bused into rando polling stations.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Kawasaki Nun posted:

It's written by a guy they invited in to write a book.about them

People tend to forget this part. A lot. And then the goalposts go a walkin'

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
So to reply to this from the CE thread:

at the date posted:

Michael Wolff gets a bunch of second- or third-hand rumors, massages them, punches up the dialogue, publishes it as "now I don't know if this is true or not..." and then, absolutely 100% predictably, dozens of excerpts from his book are reprinted as sourced information. By the time it reaches the average retard like mlmp08, they're slurping it up as fact with basically no discouragement or disclaimer from real journalists. The journalists reporting the "excerpts" are using the same excuse as Wolff himself: we're just reporting on what Wolff said, who is just reporting what [anonymous White House staffer] said, who heard it from someone else, and there is no accountability anywhere.

e: To be clear, I am calling Michael Wolff a liar, because I can't imagine most of the conversations he reports with quotation marks around the dialogue actually occurred (or were reported to him) in the words he prints. That on its face just doesn't seem credible. Beyond that, I'm also calling him and his publisher unscrupulous for all the above reasons.

Now, there's no way that every single thing in the book is true-considering the personalities at work in the White House, 100% corroboration even by the best-intentioned reporter is going to be impossible. However, you seem to be dismissing the book wholesale, which I think goes way too far in the opposite direction-I mean, for starters, there's this:

https://twitter.com/janicemin/status/949005110671126528

The dude was physically inside the white house for months at a time with unprecedented access, and got a ton of on-the-record and recorded interviews. But most importantly, the book corroborates what basically anyone who's been paying any attention to this administration already knew: Trump is an ineffective and poor leader, the administration is directionless and listless, and the White House has been filled with infighting as different personalities have fought and failed to take control in the vacuum left by Trump.

In the end, the book might not be entirely true... but it's almost certainly not entirely false. And while I wouldn't want any Democratic candidate to campaign directly on the claims made within the book, I'm also not going to stop myself from laughing as the administration incompetently flails to try and defend itself against it.

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Jan 5, 2018

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
It's also worth noting that Trump's lawsuit seeking to stop the books release and his suit against his ex-top policy advisor only serves to corroborate the contents of the book in the mind of the body public

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

at the date posted:

and a self-styled "report" shouldn't be relying on the same technicalities re: "truth" as a white house press secretary

These scare quotes don't make any real sense. For more fidelity and earnest thoughts, read Acebuckeye13's post above.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Kawasaki Nun posted:

It's also worth noting that Trump's lawsuit seeking to stop the books release and his suit against his ex-top policy advisor only serves to corroborate the contents of the book in the mind of the body public

This is pretty much sealing it for me in terms of the book’s authenticity.

These people wouldn’t be losing their poo poo so badly if the book was dealing in easy proven half-truths. Not to mention the publisher taking a big shot at a sitting president who is quite fond of suing people.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

mlmp08 posted:

These scare quotes don't make any real sense. For more fidelity and earnest thoughts, read Acebuckeye13's post above.

they aren't scarequotes. "Report" quotes the jacket blurb immediately above it.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

at the date posted:

they aren't scarequotes. "Report" quotes the jacket blurb immediately above it.

Okay.

"jacket" "it" "above" "blurb" "scarequotes" "immediately"

You've yet to provide an ounce of evidence that the author is publishing falsehoods. If the author is, the lawsuits should be really easy.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
He also hasn’t called it fake news yet

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Deathy McDeath posted:

He also hasn’t called it fake news yet

Often, the quotes are real, but the supposed narrative is fake. That's a good way to acknowledge the facts of the matter but disparage the truth of the matter.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
The publishers should put this on the jacket of the book.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/949126530839572481

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

facialimpediment posted:

The publishers should put this on the jacket of the book.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/949126530839572481

That’s not a good refutation...

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
I'm digging the new Steve Bannon nickname tho

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

"Sloppy Joe" would have been better for Joe Scarborough. Sloppy Steve is kinda dumb.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
this is the new and correct gip where we always give the benefit of the doubt to:

cops
billionaires
donald trump

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Apparently the last name he gave Bannon was "Bam Bam". Because he's a wife beater.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Proud Christian Mom posted:

this is the new and correct gip where we always give the benefit of the doubt to:

cops
billionaires
donald trump

You forgot nazis and white supremacists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I feel like I should just screenshot this rather than give them the view impressions.

https://twitter.com/samanthamaiden/status/949116620684771328

But no, enjoy raw

• Locked thread