Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

i DEMAND lava orcs AND djinni

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

and hammers

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
As I said in the last thread, despite Gnolls and Wu Jian being great additions I just can't muster the will to play this anymore. Crawl without the purple is hardly Crawl at all. Hopefully Gooncrawl will turn out well, though I'm gonna miss having my stats tracked online. I was so close to having 100 wins too :sigh:

World Famous W posted:

Honestly, the messing around with ogres apts is still the one that continues to bug me the most.

I think this one has merit behind it and actually does make the game more interesting though. Ogres only meaningful difference from trolls is that ogres were never totally hopeless with magic. Playing ogres as hybrids using utility spells that don't rely entirely on raw power was the most unique thing they had going for them. If you're going to forgo magic entirely you might as well just be a troll.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
The mace apt is poo poo and the only thing I care about :colbert:

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
When was the vaults rune lock introduced? I thought it had always been there since I started playing, so like .12 or so

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

e: I started a team:

code:
team name: Gnolls before holes
1. Rodrick (captain)
I'm open to suggestions on names and won't judge you to harshly for playing things other than gnolls.

rodbeard fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Jan 5, 2018

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009

Arivia posted:

When was the vaults rune lock introduced? I thought it had always been there since I started playing, so like .12 or so

Changelog says the rune lock was introduced in 0.14

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

World Famous W posted:

That's the thing though; you should care about using magic as an ogre! Its fun and now they are even better at using it. Its the only chance you'll ever get to bludgeon your enemy with a GSC and spectral GSC at the same time. Double the club.

That said, I do find it silly that their mace apt is lower than their unarmed, polearm, and staff apts. Should at least be on par with them.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
I would trade all the spell casting apts in a heart beat to be able to swing a GSC at 1.0 aut by lair entrance again.

I would be satisfied with a +1 on maces, but I don't play ogres to play hybrids. I play ogres to play giant sacks of blood swinging tree trunks around till what time I kill a dragon, wear its skin and become unstoppable. Its what I want from the race.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Hammer Bro. posted:

Anyone have a list of some of the more offensive changes the main branch has been making?

I haven't actively played in a while, but I enjoy hearing stories from my buddy who does. He recently swore off Crawl, which seemed extreme and arbitrary and kind of like something he would do. His particular hill to die on was that now you couldn't cast a weakened Sandblast without stones in your inventory therefore Earth Elementalists were completely non-viable. Perhaps there were some more consequential changes that I didn't hear about?

The removal of Singularity was the first thing I thought was really a major step in the wrong direction.

World Famous W posted:

I would trade all the spell casting apts in a heart beat to be able to swing a GSC at 1.0 aut by lair entrance again.

I would be satisfied with a +1 on maces, but I don't play ogres to play hybrids. I play ogres to play giant sacks of blood swinging tree trunks around till what time I kill a dragon, wear its skin and become unstoppable. Its what I want from the race.

I don't dislike the new design of ogres, but I liked the old design too. I think the biggest problem with the change is that it's dissonant with the name and concept of the species and it doesn't match the play style people enjoyed. Even if it could be argued the old ogre play style wasn't very mechanically distinct, there's an important psychological and aesthetic dimension to design that the change overlooks. I don't think weapon choice really adds much to ogres, because weapon choice is mostly an illusion in Crawl anyway. So I don't know why Ogres can't be good fatty casters and be good at bashing.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i like all the new changes with ogres except for the awful maces apt

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Ogre was already so underpowered. I don't understand why they felt the need to balance out giving them some actual viable options.

Samog
Dec 13, 2006
At least I'm not an 07.

World Famous W posted:

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

It's newogre, not Mummy/Felid, that keeps me from wanting to play random characters these days. I loved casting spells with ogres too, but the club was required to ogre.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Tollymain posted:

this is where i find out they were never taken out ive just never happened to see any for a long time

It's this.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
lmao i had this happen with a specific vault one time too

tho that time i heard a rumor at some point it was gone and the reason was convincing enough

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Reposting the healing evocable bikeshedding survey, make sure to vote!
https://goo.gl/forms/RUgS89C5vwH2YrXW2

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->

Microcline posted:

OK I'm grabbing this as cliffracer

don't forget to add "# TEAMCAPTAIN jerkstore" to the top of your .21 RC, making the only full goon team to start the tournament. Which starts now. :siren:

What a turnout! :classiclol:

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

jerkstoresup posted:

don't forget to add "# TEAMCAPTAIN jerkstore" to the top of your .21 RC, making the only full goon team to start the tournament. Which starts now. :siren:

What a turnout! :classiclol:

It's been set since the tournament started. Did you add me to the team RC?

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->

Microcline posted:

It's been set since the tournament started. Did you add me to the team RC?

now you're showing up, just didn't show you on the page at the time.

I was cruising along with an OpTm^Chei but Ogre Mages have a crystal spear in their back pocket that does insane damage I guess.

FebrezeNinja
Nov 22, 2007

Floodkiller, you posted a nice git guide last thread. Any advice on how to get involved from a dev tools/environment setup view? Like how do you test a change quickly?

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

FebrezeNinja posted:

Floodkiller, you posted a nice git guide last thread. Any advice on how to get involved from a dev tools/environment setup view? Like how do you test a change quickly?

I'm probably not the person to ask about dev environment setup, because mine is incredibly lazy: doing stupid poo poo like editing using Notepad++ and debugging compile errors as they come, cross-referencing the repo/commits using the search bar/grep on GitHub, deleting/recompiling the whole game if I hosed something up outside of compile issues because I can do it in about 10 minutes. The only reason I haven't fixed it yet is because I haven't started to dig into implementing any features from pure scratch; most of the stuff I work on, I can template based off a previous commit for the same type of object. If SKULL.GIF wants to post about it, he might have a better environment setup; alternatively, you can probably get a good answer for it out of ##crawl-dev.

As for testing changes quickly, you can enter wizard mode with the & key. This gives you a bunch of commands to test almost anything you want about the feature you put in. There's also the objstat tool to test spawn rates for items, as well as the arena tool to test how strong a monster is on average.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Is that really the entire goon turnout for the tournament? Where should I go looking for a team if no one else shows?

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
I was going to say that someone else started a second team and was looking it up. It was you. I'm sorry. :doh:

SteelNeuron
Feb 23, 2017

Floodkiller posted:

I'm probably not the person to ask about dev environment setup, because mine is incredibly lazy: doing stupid poo poo like editing using Notepad++ and debugging compile errors as they come, cross-referencing the repo/commits using the search bar/grep on GitHub, deleting/recompiling the whole game if I hosed something up outside of compile issues because I can do it in about 10 minutes. The only reason I haven't fixed it yet is because I haven't started to dig into implementing any features from pure scratch; most of the stuff I work on, I can template based off a previous commit for the same type of object. If SKULL.GIF wants to post about it, he might have a better environment setup; alternatively, you can probably get a good answer for it out of ##crawl-dev.

As for testing changes quickly, you can enter wizard mode with the & key. This gives you a bunch of commands to test almost anything you want about the feature you put in. There's also the objstat tool to test spawn rates for items, as well as the arena tool to test how strong a monster is on average.

I feel you. My setup for DCSS is Vim, commandline GDB, and commandline Git. I don't think I can be of great help either :')

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

SteelNeuron posted:

I feel you. My setup for DCSS is Vim, commandline GDB, and commandline Git. I don't think I can be of great help either :')

not empty quoting because im bad at the mallocs and the frees

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

World Famous W posted:

I was going to say that someone else started a second team and was looking it up. It was you. I'm sorry. :doh:

but doctor I am pagliacci

regular mike
Mar 29, 2010
Uhhh drat I forgot how to bind macros. I used to bind the number bar 1-9 to my main spells but now those keys move the character like the numpad does. How do I make them not do that again?

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice

regular mike posted:

Uhhh drat I forgot how to bind macros. I used to bind the number bar 1-9 to my main spells but now those keys move the character like the numpad does. How do I make them not do that again?

If you use Control-D, select macros, and assign a macro to those keys, does that override the movement?

regular mike
Mar 29, 2010

HisMajestyBOB posted:

If you use Control-D, select macros, and assign a macro to those keys, does that override the movement?

Yes, so now when I press Num1 to travel down and diagonally I try to magic dart someone that isn't there. I'm sure theres something I'm missing like an idiot.

EDIT: Yeah the answer was numlock. Welp.

regular mike fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jan 6, 2018

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
FR for gooncrawl: feline mummy in Tomb.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Gooncrawl progress update:
  • Restore abilities potions are back. Draconian breath refreshing lovers rejoice! Also the people who like restoring drained stats, I guess.
  • The bouldernati returns...(unedited for the moment, changes can come later)

Healing survey is still going:
https://goo.gl/forms/RUgS89C5vwH2YrXW2

Additionally, first PR (pull request) survey! This survey is whether you would like the following spell (developed by Heithinn Grasida) to be added to the fork:

quote:

Blades of Disaster
Level 6, Charms/Conjurations
Manifests the fury of battle into crystallized sparks with each swing of the caster's weapon. The sparks explode in a large radius shortly after the spell expires. The damage of the explosion is based on both spellpower and the caster's weapon. Unarmed fighters find it easier to channel the full power of the spell into their attacks, but lose the benefit of their weapon.
Survey is located here:
https://goo.gl/forms/oTgzmAkMKpmrbC203

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
Thread title was an incredibly good idea and I 100% support this fork at last happening

Edit: Crabs are No Joke.

mdct fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Jan 7, 2018

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

This is my effort post about bringing the permabuff system from hellcrawl into gooncrawl. Permabuffs are an amazing quality of life feature that should have been added to Crawl ages ago. They cut down hugely on the annoyance of recasting spells and make characters focusing on buffs feel strong. Hellcrawl has a good implementation of them that we should totally steal and apply to gooncrawl. But, not just every buff should become a permabuff. First, casting and managing buffs takes combat turns and requires tactical decisions. The best buffs have tactical drawbacks that force the player to consider when to cast them. Permabuffs can't have significant drawbacks without becoming incredibly tedious, and they never require the player to make a tactical choice, the only choice at all is the strategic one of how much xp to invest to learn the buff. This leads to the second problem. A character focusing on combat skills and permanent buffs doesn't have much to distinguish it from a character focusing only on combat. They both have slightly different numbers, and maybe the buffs character has some oblique advantages where the pure beefcake has direct ones, but largely they are 'o' 'tab' characters. A good buff system should strongly differentiate the play style of buff casting hybrids and pure fighters.

But hellcrawl, in an effort to simplify the game, has moved too many spells to the permabuff role. Even previously active spells like infestation are becoming permabuffs. With so many powerful effects that take max MP to keep active, the optimal route seems to be to use all your MP on permanently sustained buffs to double down on your strengths as a melee character. So a hellcrawl hybrid, once they have enough strong buffs, rarely takes actions that a standard melee character wouldn't take. I don't think gooncrawl should make every single buff a permabuff. For one, gooncrawl doesn't have the tight xp curve of hellcrawl, so there would be little reason for most characters to not take buffs, making more characters play mostly the same. What's more, implementing the hellcrawl system on every buff would weaken the distinct nature of hybrid characters. Instead, we should make some buffs permanent and change some buffs to be temporary, but much stronger and with a heavy drawback. Here's a list of buffs in Crawl and my opinion of which ones should become permanent and which ones shouldn't. If you think a spell I didn't include in this list should be discussed, please bring it up. And also post your own ideas!

Infusion - permanent Clear candidate for this change. If you want to use spells, you never cast this, if you don't, you want it on in every fight.
Song of Slaying - temporary It already has a built in drawback. I think this spell just needs to be stronger. It should start at +3 or 4 slaying and go to +12. Then, perhaps it should make more noise, or behave like in hellcrawl and amplify the noise of your melee hits.
Shroud of Golubria - completely change / remove This could conceivably be made permanent if the shroud automatically recovered a certain number of turns after breaking. But that would probably make it too powerful for what it's supposed to be.
Swiftness - temporary - Works fine as is. The duration of -swiftness should probably decrease with power, though.
Regeneration - permanent Actually, I'd prefer to just remove it and buff all characters regen across the board. But otherwise, I don't think there's a good way to make this spell work as a temporary buff.
Spectral Weapon - temporary This works fine as is.
Ozocubu's Armor - temporary I'd like to see it work as a short term buff that gives damage shaving rather than (or in addition to) AC, but at the cost of self damage on moving. That makes it a really strong defensive move that demands choices.
Excrutiating Wounds - permanent Actually, I don't like this spell and would rather see it removed. But if it's going to stay, it should be on all the time.
Deflect missiles - no change I feel like hellcrawl makes a big nerf to this spell. It's already up all the time anyway, and too many strong buffs that reserve MP is bad.
Ring of Flames - permanent The high sustain cost makes this an interesting tradeoff, since it's most valuable to blasters anyway. Perhaps it doesn't need to effect your resistances, though.
Iskenderun's Battlesphere - permanent Another case of an interesting tradeoff. More efficiency with your weaker spells, but less MP to cast your stronger ones.
Invisibility - temporary This is ridiculous as a permabuff in hellcrawl, since it means you effectively kill a large subset of all the enemies in the game for free.
Darkness - temporary But much stronger and drains MP per turn. This makes it an expensive, but very powerful defensive tool.
Cigotuvi's Embrace - permanent - I hate this spell and think it should die. But I know some people like it for zigs. At least copying the hellcrawl version makes a spell that's completely useless outside of ziggurats actually worth learning, even if I don't like that solution too much either.
Death Channel - permanent I love this spell and making it permanent would just make it better.
Transmutation Forms - permanent These are the worst offenders in crawl, since just about every transmuter wants one of them up all the time. If they need to change, they should be made more distinct so there's more reason for a transmuter to learn and cast multiple forms. Also, gently caress bladehands.

Dee Ehm
Apr 10, 2014
Do Felids with Blade Hands still get melee stabs?

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

Now that I finished coding my spell (or at least the draft version of it), I want to work on something the thread chooses. It can't be a huge project or really difficult and I might veto things that clearly exceed my ability or that I just really, really hate for whatever reason. I'm most interested in working on spells, but I could try other stuff too. My own suggestions are:

-Work on poison magic. My first main idea is to replace bolt of venom with a utility focused acid spell. I could also add other poison or acid themed spells at higher level. I'm strongly opposed to just adding more damage spells and I'd much rather work on utility spells, but I'll follow the thread consensus.

-Work on charms: People were talking about a time stop type of spell in the last thread. I want to add a generally useful and powerful high level charm that isn't a permabuff and that seems to fit the bill.

-Work on permabuffs: This will depend on Floodkiller's plans, but I could start working on changing spells that we don't decide to make into permabuffs to be less tedious or some other work people are interested in.

-Something else: Tell me your idea.

If I get some interesting responses, I'll put them into a survey. If I don't get any responses, I'll just pick whatever I'm most interested in.

Dee Ehm posted:

Do Felids with Blade Hands still get melee stabs?

They don't get short blades level stabs. Unless I'm reading the code wrong, they do get to stab with every other form, though. I've played a statue form felid stabber, but I don't have experience with the other forms.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
an acid spray spell that behaved similarly to dazzling spray and primarily debuffs enemies with corrosion could be good

I am Otis
Sep 22, 2003

Maybe some kind of acid blood spray in response to damage like in Alien that could either deal damage of some kind like dmg over time or maybe even blind the creature? Idk if that's good or not but it's what got at this moment. Thanks for the hard work

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Is it possible to give a piece of armor conditional bonuses against enemies or bonuses while in a specific floor/branch?

Gastronok enchanted The Hat of Pondering to protect against salt. The Desolation of Salt exists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Archenteron posted:

Is it possible to give a piece of armor conditional bonuses against enemies or bonuses while in a specific floor/branch?

Gastronok enchanted The Hat of Pondering to protect against salt. The Desolation of Salt exists.

You would likely need to reintroduce a system similar to racial armors/weapons to make that functionality possible, plus some extra work of getting it to apply to artifacts/unrands.

Edge cases just for certain unrands can be simple, though (since it is added to the unrand every time).

• Locked thread