Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes
Top 5:

1) Franklin D Roosevelt
2) Ronald Reagan
3) Lyndon Johnson
4) Woodrow Wilson
5) Richard Nixon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 7 days!)

< #69

Pepperoneedy
Apr 27, 2007

Rockin' it

1) William McKinley

Because nothing says 20th century American foreign and domestic policy like diplomacy at the barrel of a gun and overseas intervention

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
1) TRUMP

*click*

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

420) President Jack Cahill

1982 Subaru Brat
Feb 2, 2007

by Athanatos
1) Gerald Ford
2) Gerald Ford
3) Gerald Ford
4) Gerald Ford
5) Gerald Ford
6) Gerald Ford
7) Gerald Ford
8) Calvin Coolidge
9) Gerald Ford
10) Gerald Ford

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

1. TRUMP

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.
OP please describe the term "important"

I like this and have been cogitating on it but I want us to have an agreement on what exactly we're ranking. I feel like we can argue differences between historical importance and policy importance.

Metal Cat
Dec 25, 2017
Cheney is definitely in the top 10, that's for sure.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!
lol i 8 rankin that many pieces of poo poo op

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Silent white light filled the world. And the righteous and unrighteous alike were consumed in that holy fire.
it's trump

Poco
Jul 17, 2005

....I am a Tariff Man
When u think about It Gerald Ford is mostly proto trump

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Silent white light filled the world. And the righteous and unrighteous alike were consumed in that holy fire.
mike pence is the better comparison to ford, or at least he soon will be

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

1. FDR for obvious reasons
2. Truman built the entire security state and started the Cold War in earnest
3. McKinley
4. GWB for destroying the middle east
5. TRUMP

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
1. Dylan
2. Dylan
3. Dylan
4. Dylan
5. Dylan

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

1. FDR
2. Reagan
3. Teddy Roosevelt
4. LBJ
5. Clinton

the top three left a mark on the political direction of america for decades after they left office. FDR's policies drove the country until Reagan was elected, whose legacy we're still suffering under. Teddy is number 3 because the Progressive Era was much shorter lived by comparison

pretty much everyone else from that time frame are a bunch of guys following in their footsteps. i put LBJ at number 4 because he brought about both a further realization of the New Deal and the beginning of a sense of national disillusionment. Clinton is number 5 because he signaled an about-face from decades of Democratic Party policy under FDR, which is still being followed today in spite of many signs of this coming to an end sooner rather than later

Dingwick
May 3, 2007

This is always the highlight of my day.
Taft
Taft
Taft
TAFt
TAft
AFTF
TAFT
FTAf
Tatf
Taft
Taft
Truman

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
1. FDR
2. LBJ
3. Nixon
4. Reagan
5. George W. Bush

GWB might be controversial, but I think he's pretty much directly responsible for the rise of fascism in the West. The Iraq War lead to instability in the middle east, which caused the refugee crisis in Europe, and that was rocket fuel for the far-right.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
1. FDR - While it was likely due to him running at the right time, he did come at a time when the American people and economists had a left learning surge. His terms were at a time that cultivated American leftism. And while he wasn't the left's best friend, he wasn't the worst enemy either.

2. Reagan - The American reactionary movement was boiling for years and Reagan took full advantage. He dominated the political sphere at managed to craft not only American politics in his image, but American culture as well.

3. Trump - Yes, Trump. This is extremely early, but Trump's victory marked the end of "the end of history" and third wayism. He showed how truly weak and ineffective liberalism is. And his win resulted in the "radicalization" of many on both the right and the left. If/when the political consensus looks significantly a generation from now, Trump's presidency will be involved heavily, as he proved to the racists that "one of them" can win power in the Big House and to the left that the liberals have no loving clue what they are doing so you have to do it yourself.

4. LBJ - The last real Democrat to many. Basically translated to poo poo foreign policy, good domestic policy. He may not have had the best decorum, he did get poo poo done. The Great Society tenets may have never been passed without him, while the Civil Rights Act likely passed a decade or so earlier than it would have otherwise.

5. Bill Clinton - Reagan beat back American leftism to the point that it was on life support. However, it was Bill Clinton who pulled the plug. Embracing Third Wayism fully, Clinton deregulated what Reagan could not, most notably the banks and the media, as well as tried to privatize social security. He led the police to become further militaristic and jailed large amounts of people, especially those of color. His election wins also popularized the concept of "running in the middle" in an attempt to not offend liberal and conservative voters too much. Which was a tactic that only "worked" under highly specific conditions (e.g. the lowest voter turnout in American history for the two main parties at the time).

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

MaxxBot posted:

1) TRUMP

*click*

tormp is defiantly the most impotent persident

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Pepperoneedy posted:

1) William McKinley

Because nothing says 20th century American foreign and domestic policy like diplomacy at the barrel of a gun and overseas intervention

john hay bullshitting our way into the chinese market is the greatest :master: of foreign policy

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
1)

Please clap...

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
1) FDR
2) Teddy
3) LBJ
4) Reagan
5) Bill Clinton

I'm looking at it as impactful reformers. FDR and Teddy shook poo poo up unprecedentedly. LBJ cuz he created the modern social programs that we know.

Reagan and Slick Willie created our current neoliberal hell by rolling stuff back and letting Wall Street rules us.

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Teddy was a big dumb oaf, but his antitrust and anti-corruption policies were groundbreaking.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

good lists so far

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

maybe we should start listing our 6-15 picks?

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

Trump

*click*

*rumble rumble rumble*

is this thing still on?

Trump!

*click*

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

president of what?

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

get that OUT of my face posted:

the top three left a mark on the political direction of america for decades after they left office. FDR's policies drove the country until Reagan was elected, whose legacy we're still suffering under. Teddy is number 3 because the Progressive Era was much shorter lived by comparison

FDR is really in a league of his own in terms of his impact on American (and maybe even global) society, every subsequent administration and congress got defined by whether and how much it supported the new deal programs. Even Reagan and Clinton only managed to tweak the new deal at the margins, not even Reagan was able to privatize SS or truly reduce the administrative state.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

punk rebel ecks posted:

1. FDR - While it was likely due to him running at the right time, he did come at a time when the American people and economists had a left learning surge. His terms were at a time that cultivated American leftism. And while he wasn't the left's best friend, he wasn't the worst enemy either.

2. Reagan - The American reactionary movement was boiling for years and Reagan took full advantage. He dominated the political sphere at managed to craft not only American politics in his image, but American culture as well.

3. Trump - Yes, Trump. This is extremely early, but Trump's victory marked the end of "the end of history" and third wayism. He showed how truly weak and ineffective liberalism is. And his win resulted in the "radicalization" of many on both the right and the left. If/when the political consensus looks significantly a generation from now, Trump's presidency will be involved heavily, as he proved to the racists that "one of them" can win power in the Big House and to the left that the liberals have no loving clue what they are doing so you have to do it yourself.

4. LBJ - The last real Democrat to many. Basically translated to poo poo foreign policy, good domestic policy. He may not have had the best decorum, he did get poo poo done. The Great Society tenets may have never been passed without him, while the Civil Rights Act likely passed a decade or so earlier than it would have otherwise.

5. Bill Clinton - Reagan beat back American leftism to the point that it was on life support. However, it was Bill Clinton who pulled the plug. Embracing Third Wayism fully, Clinton deregulated what Reagan could not, most notably the banks and the media, as well as tried to privatize social security. He led the police to become further militaristic and jailed large amounts of people, especially those of color. His election wins also popularized the concept of "running in the middle" in an attempt to not offend liberal and conservative voters too much. Which was a tactic that only "worked" under highly specific conditions (e.g. the lowest voter turnout in American history for the two main parties at the time).

yeah same

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

punk rebel ecks posted:

if i could post this on a wall i would :)

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

punk rebel ecks posted:

Trump's victory marked the end of "the end of history" and third wayism.

quote:

Following Britain's decision to leave the European Union and the election of Donald Trump as President of the United States in 2016, Fukuyama feared for the future of liberal democracy in the face of resurgent populism,[17][18][19] and the rise of a "post-fact world",[20] saying that "twenty five years ago, I didn't have a sense or a theory about how democracies can go backward. And I think they clearly can." He also warned that America's political rot was infecting the world order to the point where it "could be as big as the Soviet collapse".[19]

:lol: WHOOPS

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Pepperoneedy posted:

1) William McKinley

his name is William Denali now

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

It's way too early to say too much about Trump IMO. Third way politics is weakened and losing influence, but it's still very much alive and kicking and has some degree of sway over the Democratic Party. The reactionary march towards the right that started under Reagan would have gone on anyway had Hillary won. The left was already mobilized to a degree in the primary, but it's certainly gone into overdrive under Trump. Under Hillary, the full power of the DNC would have been dedicated to crushing that movement, but as things stand now, I have doubts that a left-wing movement will get as much power this year as we want it to.

Trump did bring about a post-Fukuyama neoliberal consensus world in the US, but this is also nothing new in other parts of the world. Populist right-wing surges happened outside of the Anglosphere a couple years before in Poland, Hungary, and Austria. Before that, Italy got the ball rolling with Berlusconi, who is probably the leader most similar to Trump.

After 2018, the picture might be more clear.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

punk rebel ecks posted:

Trump's victory marked the end of "the end of history"
you're thinking of osama bin laden

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Dongslayer. posted:

1. Dylan
2. Dylan
3. Dylan
4. Dylan
5. Dylan

you son of a bitch

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trupmrt pmurt pmuirt pmupmupmupmurt pmupmurt pmumrt pmurtpmurtpmurtpmu rtpmurt pmurtpmu rtpmurtpmurt pmurt pmurt pmutrpuumt prtumr pum ptrmu mtprutpr umtrptu mrtp urmpt urmpt rumt TU RMTPRUT PRMT PRUt r

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
1. FDR

based president

2. Reagan

3. Nixon

end of the GOLD STANDARD, architect of the drug war (a way for him to criminalize blacks and hippies), kept vietnam going by scuttling a peace deal because it served his political interests

4. Johnson

Great society (which ultimately failed) + vietnam (ditto)

5. Truman

possibly the first person to truly understand the real effect of the atomic bomb (ie understood that they weren't just another weapon, and was willing to tell mcarthur to go gently caress himself when he suggested nuking korea), began the shift in us policy away from isolationism to interventionism, started racial integration in the armed forces

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
while i agree in a limited degree to the 'rubicon' nature of the trump presidency, i'm not sure that future historians will rate him personally as influential, because he's ultimately an object, not a subject of history

his election is an expression of an ongoing historical process, and his own presidency so far as been him being just a figure head for the gop establishment to do what it wants. nothign he's advocated has been outside the gop mainstream, and he's shown neither an ability or willingness to commit to anything beyond his own ego

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
666.Barrack Hussein Obama

• Locked thread