Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

1. FDR
2. Reagan
3. Teddy Roosevelt
4. LBJ
5. Clinton

the top three left a mark on the political direction of america for decades after they left office. FDR's policies drove the country until Reagan was elected, whose legacy we're still suffering under. Teddy is number 3 because the Progressive Era was much shorter lived by comparison

pretty much everyone else from that time frame are a bunch of guys following in their footsteps. i put LBJ at number 4 because he brought about both a further realization of the New Deal and the beginning of a sense of national disillusionment. Clinton is number 5 because he signaled an about-face from decades of Democratic Party policy under FDR, which is still being followed today in spite of many signs of this coming to an end sooner rather than later

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

It's way too early to say too much about Trump IMO. Third way politics is weakened and losing influence, but it's still very much alive and kicking and has some degree of sway over the Democratic Party. The reactionary march towards the right that started under Reagan would have gone on anyway had Hillary won. The left was already mobilized to a degree in the primary, but it's certainly gone into overdrive under Trump. Under Hillary, the full power of the DNC would have been dedicated to crushing that movement, but as things stand now, I have doubts that a left-wing movement will get as much power this year as we want it to.

Trump did bring about a post-Fukuyama neoliberal consensus world in the US, but this is also nothing new in other parts of the world. Populist right-wing surges happened outside of the Anglosphere a couple years before in Poland, Hungary, and Austria. Before that, Italy got the ball rolling with Berlusconi, who is probably the leader most similar to Trump.

After 2018, the picture might be more clear.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

MrOzzy posted:

Why is Reagan in so many lists? He had Alzheimer's while he was president and nobody noticed.
My dad noticed he had signs of Alzheimer's back when he first ran in 1980. Granted, he's a neurologist who diagnosed old people with dementia when he was in practice.

Mental state doesn't factor into that, though. Reagan is important because he was the beginning of the right wing counter-movement to FDR's New Deal policies. Trump and both Bushes are just continuing what he started.

As an aside: I hate hearing people say that Reagan's policies as president would have made him a Democrat today. That's not the point. He was as far to the right as the contemporary political environment allowed him to be, and he paved the way for the political system to keep moving in that direction.

Gazpacho posted:

lol @ anyone who can't admit that GWB, who defined international relations for decades to come and re-established domestic surveillance, isn't important
If I manage to make a full list, W will probably be in the top half. But he's not a top 5 guy because he's still very much defined by the Reagan era of presidential politics that we're still in. Ronnie absolutely would have done all the things W did in a post-9/11 world.

That said, he did do all those things, plus he brought about the current state of cynicism that Americans are in to this day.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

GoluboiOgon posted:

he was the first 20th century president to use mass deportations, created the espionage act that is currently being used against reality winner, and invaded russia without a declaration of war from congress. he also created a centralized censorship board for the media, the CPI.

his authoritarian urges led suffragettes to protest outside the white house, with the sign "Kaiser Wilson." he then arrested them.

i would put him somewhere in the top 5 influential presidents of the 20th century, just because he greatly contributed to the imperial presidency and his ideas of spreading democracy around the world by force have been greatly influential.
he was also insanely racist, even for his time. for one, he singlehandedly killed the racial equality aspect of the league of nations charter

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Typo posted:

the democrats were economically progressive but half of their voting base were racist southerners (wilson was Virginian)

the other half were immigrants in northern cities which the racists hated because the irish
i guess that explains why he went backwards on the white house meeting any black intellectuals, seeing as Teddy Roosevelt and Taft were both republicans

also Wilson was a racist southerner, but he's also the only president to go to the white house from New Jersey. thanks, Princeton University

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Dreddout posted:

I wouldn't call him remarkable, but he was the founding president of the Progressive Era,(Essentially America's leftwing height that ended with WW1 and the first red scare) and the Roosevelt political dynasty which led to FDR and all that New Deal stuff.

Probably the best thing he personally did was create the National Park system which is only now being slowly dismantled, 100 years after it's creation.

He was also the namesake of the Teddy Bear, due to his naturalist leanings. Which is a cute fun fact! :)
he also hated being called "Teddy"

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

i guess that's also why Wilson called his progressive platform "New Nationalism." learning a lot itt

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Dreddout posted:

That's exactly it yeah

One early alternative to capitalism called itself "nationalism" and posited a society where the Nation functioned as the sole capitalist, wherein all the citizens of said nation would work directly for the government. The idea being that a nation would logically work towards prosperity for all it's citizens rather than a few capitalists.
something about this sounds familiar but i can't quite put my finger on it :thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

GoluboiOgon posted:

especially during the WWI period, there was a crackdown on non-anglo white populations, especially german populations. people were forced to change their names to avoid harassment. sauerkraut became liberty cabbage.
dachshunds became "liberty hounds" and were regularly killed in public :(

• Locked thread