Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes
Top 5:

1) Franklin D Roosevelt
2) Ronald Reagan
3) Lyndon Johnson
4) Woodrow Wilson
5) Richard Nixon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

get that OUT of my face posted:

the top three left a mark on the political direction of america for decades after they left office. FDR's policies drove the country until Reagan was elected, whose legacy we're still suffering under. Teddy is number 3 because the Progressive Era was much shorter lived by comparison

FDR is really in a league of his own in terms of his impact on American (and maybe even global) society, every subsequent administration and congress got defined by whether and how much it supported the new deal programs. Even Reagan and Clinton only managed to tweak the new deal at the margins, not even Reagan was able to privatize SS or truly reduce the administrative state.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Nebakenezzer posted:

Isn't this the cart before the horse, tho

My understanding was that unions could gain power because FDR changed the laws to allow them to strike effectively

FDR himself was really a consequence of the progressive era which was effectively the setup for the new deal, and unions was a big player in early 1900s progressive politics

Also, I really think the creation of the federal reserve under Wilson was one of the single most consequential decisions not just for the US but the global economy from the early 1900s all the way to today

I also think from end of Reagan to today the only really consequential president was GWB because of Iraq

Typo has issued a correction as of 22:02 on Jan 10, 2018

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

get that OUT of my face posted:

he was also insanely racist, even for his time. for one, he singlehandedly killed the racial equality aspect of the league of nations charter

the democrats were economically progressive but half of their voting base were racist southerners (wilson was Virginian)

the other half were immigrants in northern cities which the racists hated because the irish

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Dreddout posted:

I wouldn't call him remarkable, but he was the founding president of the Progressive Era,(Essentially America's leftwing height that ended with WW1 and the first red scare) and the Roosevelt political dynasty which led to FDR and all that New Deal stuff.

Probably the best thing he personally did was create the National Park system which is only now being slowly dismantled, 100 years after it's creation.

He was also the namesake of the Teddy Bear, due to his naturalist leanings. Which is a cute fun fact! :)

From what I understand TR's progrevism has being greatly overstated

the dude believed in social Darwinism and that applied to corporations, he basically believed that huge mega-corps were inevitable and that the president should basically be strongman "America's CEO" and just direct megacorps to do the bidding of american national interest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Dreddout posted:

However the Progressive Coalition and the Republican Party grew steadily more conservative after Teddy, and further implementation of these ideals never solidified. By the end of WW1 the coalition was largely dead, finding it's successor in FDR's Democratic party.

Yeah basically the Republicans had a progressive wing and a conservative wing, the conservative wing won the internal party struggle after the 1910s (and the progressives defected to the 1912 bull moose ticket) and harding-coolidge-hoover trio mostly governed as pro-business laissez-faire republicans until 1929

Typo has issued a correction as of 22:31 on Jan 13, 2018

• Locked thread