Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GoluboiOgon
Aug 19, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

punk rebel ecks posted:

Didn't Woodrow Wilson significantly expand government power (in a relative way) more than any other president during the 20th century? I know anti-government types hate his guts.

he was the first 20th century president to use mass deportations, created the espionage act that is currently being used against reality winner, and invaded russia without a declaration of war from congress. he also created a centralized censorship board for the media, the CPI.

his authoritarian urges led suffragettes to protest outside the white house, with the sign "Kaiser Wilson." he then arrested them.

i would put him somewhere in the top 5 influential presidents of the 20th century, just because he greatly contributed to the imperial presidency and his ideas of spreading democracy around the world by force have been greatly influential.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoluboiOgon
Aug 19, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

get that OUT of my face posted:

i guess that's also why Wilson called his progressive platform "New Nationalism." learning a lot itt

it also had a fair amount to do with his support for the klan, and his hope to reforge the multi-ethnic US into a single anglo culture.

quote:

"Any man who carries a hyphen about with him, [ie, German-American] carries a dagger that he is ready to plunge into the vitals of this Republic whenever he gets ready."

especially during the WWI period, there was a crackdown on non-anglo white populations, especially german populations. people were forced to change their names to avoid harassment. sauerkraut became liberty cabbage.

• Locked thread