Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

qsvui posted:

I open the single post in a new tab using the "1" button under the user's av, then quickly edit the note. But yeah, I'm also wondering if there's a fix since it's been this way for quite a while now.
Even opening a single post doesn't help me add notes. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
I'm pretty sure everything is related to the last post I made. Browsers are disconnecting the extension and the extension doesn't re-add itself.
EDIT: Specifically, service workers don't stay connected. You have to reconnect the service worker after it disconnects if you want it to stay persistent.

Nalin fucked around with this message at 18:34 on May 7, 2023

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Here's one; I'm on a laptop and using the live preview with quick reply the live preview window gets cut off. Are there any scaling options for it?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Even opening a single post doesn't help me add notes. :(

It works for me in this thread, but not in other forums, like PYF.

But that this point, I'm just going to assume it's my computer that's being weird.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

A datapoint I have is that even after shutting down Firefox, adding notes doesn't work - so I'm not sure it's a question of service workers expiring.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

A datapoint I have is that even after shutting down Firefox, adding notes doesn't work - so I'm not sure it's a question of service workers expiring.

Leave the page open for a minute. Press F12 to open the dev tools. Click Edit Note > Delete and notice the error. Then refresh the page and do the same. No error. Leave the page alone for a bit. Try again. Error is back.

It is absolutely the service worker expiring.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

so how does one stop a service worker from expiring

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing
or is there a way to restart one?

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

so how does one stop a service worker from expiring

You don't.

qsvui posted:

or is there a way to restart one?

Only via the extension code. One of the SALR devs would have to program a solution and release an extension update. I could try developing a solution, but I would never be able to deploy the changes. We would still need one of the SALR devs to package it up.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Looks like there's multiple people (including Astral) with write access to the github repo, and Master Odin is still active on the forums.

So it looks like if you file a PR, someone might be able to do the needful.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Looks like there's multiple people (including Astral) with write access to the github repo, and Master Odin is still active on the forums.

So it looks like if you file a PR, someone might be able to do the needful.

https://github.com/MasterOdin/salr-redux/pull/104

Well, it should maybe work. I had to test in Edge because I have some work open in a private window tab in Firefox which means I can't restart the browser to mess with extensions without losing my work. If somebody else wants to clone the code and test in Firefox that would be great, otherwise it might take me a while to get around to it.

EDIT: I was able to test in Firefox today and it worked. Master Odin said in the PR it would take them a week to get to it as they are currently ill.

Nalin fucked around with this message at 00:16 on May 24, 2023

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Hi, if SALR suddenly broke for you today it's because I changed the frontpage link in the forums header but you were hiding it through SALR's options. You might notice that it's so broken that even the 'Configure SALR' link does not work. To access the extension settings, you can go to your Firefox addons page, use the three-dots menu to open SALR's options, scroll down to the header/footer options, and set it to no longer hide the "Something Awful" link. This will restore functionality until proper error handling exists.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

It seems that the above mentioned change is preventing SALR Darkmode from working. I'm using Chrome, and if I check the box, it doesn't apply. When I go back to Configure SALR, the box is unchecked again.

Using Chrome Version 114.0.5735.134

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Nevermind

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Jun 19, 2023

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I only installed the Firefox addon today (testing the waters of moving to it from Chrome) and Quick Reply doesn't seem to succesfully post and gives me the old...error that I just went to check but now it works, okay

Great!

e: nevermind, I seem to get it if I quote someone

kirbysuperstar fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Jun 18, 2023

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Is there a way to hide the report button on posts?

I know there's an option to hide the report button on my own posts, but I want to hide everyone's.

I think I've only ever used it a couple times in all my years here, but now that I spend a lot of time viewing the site on mobile, I'm always accidentally tapping the report button as I scroll with my fat old man fingers.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

I got them hidden with uBlock Origin, I think this rule is it:
forums.somethingawful.com##.alertbutton

Should be easy with the element picker.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Cheers!

e: yep, that did it. uBlock is just so invisible on mobile that I forget it's there.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jul 21, 2023

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Can you please have the preview window adjust to smaller viewports or whatever? It's pretty much useless on my laptop when the text appears somewhere behind the address bar now.

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
I can only add so many user notes and then it just stops working.

I see there was discussion above about something similar?, but was there a solution?

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Wee posted:

I can only add so many user notes and then it just stops working.

I see there was discussion above about something similar?, but was there a solution?

You have to disable using sync storage for user notes. When using sync storage, there's only so much capacity for having notes. Unfortunately they won't be synced anymore, obviously.

I think it's a good idea to back them up first, before changing. I don't remember anymore if switching from sync to local resets them

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

pik_d posted:

You have to disable using sync storage for user notes. When using sync storage, there's only so much capacity for having notes. Unfortunately they won't be synced anymore, obviously.

I think it's a good idea to back them up first, before changing. I don't remember anymore if switching from sync to local resets them

Awesome thank you!

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Live preview is still useless on my laptop because it vanishes mostly behind the address bar of the browser right now, but in addition the "Open updated threads" link in the User CP dies and does nothing if the tab is not focused on for a minute or so.

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

My spear never misses its mark...

ladies
What's the resolution / size of your laptop screen?

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Is there a way to hide the report button on posts?

I know there's an option to hide the report button on my own posts, but I want to hide everyone's.

I think I've only ever used it a couple times in all my years here, but now that I spend a lot of time viewing the site on mobile, I'm always accidentally tapping the report button as I scroll with my fat old man fingers.

Have you tried the Awful app?

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Master_Odin posted:

What's the resolution / size of your laptop screen?

1920x1080 / 15"

I think W11 has zoomed or scaled things up a bit too, it just looks like the quick reply/live preview window didn't get the memo.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Also a semi-follow-up to the "Open updated threads" link, it just vanished entirely from my User Cp lol

E: And now it's back. What.

Stare-Out fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Aug 27, 2023

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I'm curious if it's possible with SALR (or another extension) to automatically convert x.com links to twitter.com. It seems SA doesn't like embedding X.com tweets, so you have to manually adjust X to twitter for it to embed properly.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

If I have the something awful link disabled in the nav menu links then keyboard shortcuts don't work anymore and there's a console error from salr.js

windows 10, firefox 118.0.1

If i toggle that one checkbox then the keyboard shortcuts work again

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

hifi posted:

If I have the something awful link disabled in the nav menu links then keyboard shortcuts don't work anymore and there's a console error from salr.js

windows 10, firefox 118.0.1

If i toggle that one checkbox then the keyboard shortcuts work again

Ah. It is checking for an anchor tag with an href attribute that exactly matches a URL fragment. It should be searching for an href attribute that contains the URL fragment.

Basically, you have stuff like this:
code:
<li>- <a href="https://www.somethingawful.com/frontpage/">Something Awful</a></li>
<li>- <a href="/query.php">Search the Forums</a></li>
At some point the URL to the front page got changed to be an absolute URL and the script broke. I'll submit a PR to fix this one too. We are also still waiting for my previous bugfix to actually be pushed live.

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

ladies

Nalin posted:

I'll submit a PR to fix this one too. We are also still waiting for my previous bugfix to actually be pushed live.
New version of salr-redux has been published that contains both these fixes. Thanks for submitting the PRs!

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing

Stare-Out posted:

Minor issue, on Firefox the User CP "Open updated threads" link dies if you leave the tab for a while.

looks like this has been finally fixed, thanks!

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

ladies

qsvui posted:

looks like this has been finally fixed, thanks!
All credit goes to Nalin for fixing it and all shame to me for not releasing a new version with the fix for months.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
requesting the "Hide SA Grenade on Premium users" be updated to include the non-grenade platinum icons since there seem to be new ones

e: for examples, the existing grenade (which SALR does hide) is:

code:
<dt class="author platinum " title="Platinum User">
and the new ones I've seen which it doesn't catch are the same but with a third word at the end, like

code:
<dt class="author platinum ghost" title="Platinum User">
this is the sort of thing I'd assume just needs an extra wildcard added somewhere. thanks for working on this!

Javid fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Oct 16, 2023

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
I recently switched over to firefox.
Is there a setting I'm overlooking to make the 'open updated threads' appear when you go to each subforum? Or is this not available for firefox?

bookmarks show it

But when I go a subforum, it doesn't

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I've no clue what's happening, but my "Open updated threads" always seems to disappear when a tiny bit of time has gone by, but a reload makes it reappear.
Sometimes it also appears that SALR-Redux isn't loaded on the page when I go to reply, as it goes to the reply page instead of popping open the quick reply dialogue.

What would be needed to go about figuring out this?

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

I've no clue what's happening, but my "Open updated threads" always seems to disappear when a tiny bit of time has gone by, but a reload makes it reappear.
Sometimes it also appears that SALR-Redux isn't loaded on the page when I go to reply, as it goes to the reply page instead of popping open the quick reply dialogue.

What would be needed to go about figuring out this?

The missing "Open updated threads" bug just hit me this morning. Chrome. Any ideas? (Quick reply still works)

Edit: Deleted the app and reinstalled, it worked.

AFewBricksShy fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Nov 3, 2023

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

ladies
Ideally there'd be something (an error) that shows up in the developer console that would indicate what went wrong.

There was a bug for a while with firefox where if you had a page open long enough the "runtime port" would end up disconnected which would account for things not working, but that should have been fixed in the latest release (2.4.3).

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

So I've put the results of the console in this paste, from when the text didn't show up.
And for comparison, here is the paste from when the text shows up.

I can't immediately spot the difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Double-posting, but to add to the above, updating to v120 seems to have fixed it?