Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord
I hereby endorse this product and/or service.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord
Should be able to parse the smilies all in a single pass. Something like this.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

astral posted:

Is image resizing even necessary these days?

tbh just replace it with an optional CSS rule to set a max-width on images to be the width of the post area, and a max-height to be like 0.9vh and be done with it. We didn't have this fancy-pants max dimension stuff back in my day. In those days, nickels had pictures of bumblebees on 'em. Give me five bees for a quarter, you'd say. And then you'd write some Javascript to resize large images.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

tithin posted:

Just got this message when trying to post via SALR - since when has dear richard given a gently caress about the SALR extension enough to code a way to deny it?

That message dates back to way back when I was still maintaining SALR. Lowtax hated SALR for a while because Radium hated SALR, probably because it made him look bad.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord
Viewing threads as a live chat was something I had prototyped out for the original original SALR; but never went live with because radium was crying so hard about everything.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord
Nah, that code's like 15 years old by this point (heck maybe 16 years since SALR 1.0 was released mid-2004), and was written against the forums HTML at that time (which believe it or not actually has changed since then), was for Firefox's crusty old XPCOM-based extension model, and had a probably unnecessarily complex design because it built an ad-hoc p2p network to share new posts between people with a thread open as chat to try to avoid requiring every user hammer the forums with refreshes. It'd be easier just to redo it from scratch.

But it is a good idea and something that belongs in SALR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord
Yeah 100% agree that it'd be best for everyone if the forums handled it. Anything else comes with a lot of complexity.