Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

CombineThresher posted:

Ultramantis leaving is what sapped a lot of my enthusiasm for the product. That, and the one thing Chikara had going for it was its sense of humor and that's been watered down a lot as talent leaves and Quack doubles down on comic book references.

For me it's a LOT of the original crew being gone, and it doesn't help that the one guy who SHOULD have left to be a indy star, Hallowicked, didn't, which just makes me sad.

I like Eddie Kingston but the man's gonna die in the ring and it's gonna be a bummer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Gavok posted:

Er, never mind.

If there's one thing that I dislike about Drew Gulak being a WWE contracted guy, it's that the backup plan can't be Drew and Rory doing their shtick. Holy poo poo do I love the Amazing Gulak Brothers, what a dopey but fun gimmick

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Hopefully they're able to have some fun guest teams again, that always helps the tourney's interest level

I think my favourite years were 2012 and 2015

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Mar 1, 2018

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Hopefully Tarver doesn't try to murder someone with a chair like he did with Greg Iron

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Gavok posted:

Add Ken Anderson to the Infinite Gauntlet. Sure, why not.

Because it seems like a really bad fit.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

You will believe a half-assed luchadore can die

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

KungFu Grip posted:

I hope we get an out of nowhere team of Team GCW with Janela, Gage and Riddle

As cool as it would be, no way do they let Nick Gage anywhere near a Chikara ring. If there were a GCW team it'd be more likely to be like, Ellsworth, Deppen, and Janela.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

CombineThresher posted:

That's a shame, because unlike a lot of the other Chikara regulars, TD could probably have good matches with people outside of Chikara.

Hallowicked, Frightmare, Dasher Hatfield and pre-injury Ultramantis would also probably qualify for this, but not many others.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

CombineThresher posted:

And Eddie Kingston, don't forget. Hallowicked's gimmick really falls flat outside of Chikara, and while Ultramantis was always a little awkward in the ring, he was such a good worker otherwise that his matches were always fun.

edit: oh, and Tim Donst.

Really, Quack should get back on his OCD meds and start letting his students work people besides each other again so they'll get better.

I'm mainly talking about people who stayed in CHIKARA, UMB and Hallowicked only occasionally took other bookings elsewhere; Quack didn't have the balls to tell Kingston when he could and couldn't work, and Donst left Chikara before he really did antyhing elsewhere.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

BetterWeirdthanDead posted:

Dunkerton still wrestles as Dunkerton, so is him not wrestling with Chikara another weird thing with Quack?

He wrestles in Europe a lot, so I think it's a case of him wanting to branch out rather than anything personal. Although I could see Quack having a problem with the convict character Dunk was doing in Corgan's old company.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Might be time for a 12 Large II to crown a new champ

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Alastor_the_Stylish posted:

Quack's wrist had basically been broken for years and years. Some wrist bone is all messed up and it's stuck that way now.

Which would be bad enough except he has really serious back problems to the point that he needs a cane to walk

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I thought the cane was a work

It might be but it's not like it's unheard of for people with back problems to need canes

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

EugeneJ posted:

Daniels without a shirt for the first time in what...5 years?

He went shirtless at All In. They actually had a segment on BTE afterwards where Kaz and Scorpio razzed him about having a salad at In N' Out Burger and he made reference to how he finally got the body he wanted and that was how he was keeping it.

Daniels is one of those guys in the biz I genuinely admire. Great at his craft, respected by his peers seemingly universally, and does it because he wants to, not because he has to.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Oct 30, 2018

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

syzpid posted:

I hated NRG with a passion, but I've come around on Race because him and his stable at least seems interesting. I've hated Hype Rockwell just floating around and being a jobber to the stars even more then his time as a part of NRG. Hype's had 12 matches this year and only has a win over a jobber and in a trios match against Blank's stable. The last time Hype has won a match (not counting a 1 minute DQ, Jobber or Blank/Race) was Aniversario in 2015 which was a 4 way that also had Los Ice Creams, The Batiri and The Colony.

He's had a total of 51 matches, is arguably part of the worst tag team to hold the titles, and rarely wins anyway. During a relatively long losing streak he's also gotten a 17 minute match with the grand championship on the line.

I had to check, and Sugar Dunkerton had a total of 52 matches for his run in Chikara. Dunkerton was also a lot better at actually connecting with the crowd, wasn't a black hole of charisma and actually had entertaining matches. It feels ridiculous that Dunkerton's not coming back at all because of whatever disagreements (I've also heard that Quack basically said he had nothing for him to do) but Rockwell just keeps coming back.

Sugar also lives in the UK now, I think?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

RealFoxy posted:

Sorry to break kayfabe but Tracy Williams was the original Green Ant in Chikara who had a lot of experience with Hallowicked and is a pretty drat good technical wrestler.

....I actually didn't know he was Green Ant. I know Drew Gulak was an Ant, and I think tHURTeen (one of theceorst wrestling name's ever) was Fire Ant?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I want KOT to book a team of Marko Stunt, Jordynne Grace, and Brian Cage. Team Positive Body Image.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Gavok posted:

The finale was pretty uneventful outside of the last two matches:

- Juan Francisco defeated Green Ant by making him tap to the Coronado Clutch.

- Crummels and Defarge defeated Icarus and Deppen, Leary and Babish and Los Ice Creams in a four corners tag match to earn their third point towards title contention.

- Blank defeated Penelope Ford by countering a handspring stunner with a punch to the back of the head. After the match, he moved her hands over her face and had Still Life take a photo of his latest piece of art.

- Lucas Calhoun, Axel Ford and Missile Assault Man defeated the Proteus Wheel in a 3-on-4 street fight. Professor Nicodemus was part of the match and when initially cornered, he broke out some mace. In the end, the faces took out all three Proteus guys with outside dives, leaving them to take out Nicodemus and get the pin.

- Hallowicked defeated Boomer Hatfield with three top-rope snapmares in a row.

- The Creatures of the Deep defeated Razerhawk, Danjerhawk, Fire Ant and Thief Ant with a Tidal Wave onto Razerhawk.

- Solo Darling defeated Travis Huckabee. The ending seemed to be aping Gargano/Ciampa by having Huckabee apologize for his actions, try and backstab Solo, then getting put in his own submission and tapping out.

- Kimber Lee and Whisper defeated the Closers to become the new tag champs. At the end of the match, Kimber Lee German suplexed Whipser and unknowingly threw him on top of Rick Rolland for the pin.

- Dasher Hatfield defeated Ophidian by bouncing up from an Egyptian Destroyer, landing a spinning elbow and collapsing onto him for the pin. After the match, Boomer and Mr. Touchdown appeared to cheer him on. Touchdown announced that as of Monday, he will be officially cleared to wrestle again. Dasher refused to hand back the title belt and instead clotheslined Touchdown. Boomer went to check on Touchdown, but Dasher walked off with the title and yelled at Boomer to follow.

So heel Dasher is a thing now.

He better twirl that mustache a whole drat lot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Gavok posted:

Chikara announced that they're no longer doing physical media and right now they're doing a big sale on their DVDs and blu rays.

Considering the cost of it for them, that might be smart. Although its possibly a bad sign for their financial situation.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Dec 24, 2018