Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Max Coveri posted:

Remember when people gave a poo poo about Chikara?

It's still real to me dammit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Gonna be honest, losing most of the ants has hit me hard on the enthusiasm front along with jfdc holding the title for so long.

There needs to be a good face run to hype people up again

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Yeah, dasher, ophidian, or fire ant are all guys I would rather see with the title

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

dsriggs posted:

Probably something to do with Quack trademarking the Jervis mask and/or gimmick last year.

other way around

Jervis left over bookings and pay and worked for other companies
Chikara is making video game with Jervis in it
Jervis demands a cut of game profits for using his likeness
Chikara responds by trademarking the gimmick since they created it
Jervis becomes Gentleman Jervis

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Panama Red posted:

Ga-doy. I meant more like, how early to arrive before belltime to get a good seat, etc. I know it's up in NE Philly which is also kind of a bitch to get to from Center City.

Yeah, unfortunately the Wrestle Factory is in the middle of nowhere. Easy to park, but I have no idea about public transportation.

If you want good seats, get there an hour early

However, its only about a 200 max building, so its not like you are gonna be unable to see

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

TV Zombie posted:

So is Ophidian still dressing up as Fake 17 or is he now wearing the fake snake facial hair mask now? Also, couldn't they put someone else in the Jervis mask, have him lose and then have Chikara destroy that character just to close up that loose end.

they could but it would hurt the Wrestle Factory recruitment if they were told they couldn't take their gimmick with them

The only reason Chikara dropped the hammer on Jervis was because of the lawsuit

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Chikara has launched a hotline like WCW back in the day and I am either worried the company is either in serious financial trouble or quack's high concept referential stuff has finally gone too far

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

There is not gonna be a single non wrestle factory talent huh

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

There's also a new ant

yay new ant

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

its weird how much I objectively consider the number of ants a measurement of Chikara's quality at any given time

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Endless Mike posted:

Is it back in PA?

Yup

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I think one of my issues with last season of Chikara has been the lack of consistency

They gave us a bunch of characters, only used them for four or five matches, and then got rid of them. Its hard for me to really invest myself in the current crop because I don't know if they are actually gonna have any permanence

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Oh poo poo owns

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

But how will we know where the parties are?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Gavok posted:

Anyway, Jakob Hammermeier is confirmed for Infinite Gauntlet and I'm PUMPED.

It was really weird that his last match was that hair vs hair match and then he was gone for two years

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Gavok posted:

The Donst vs. Loudspeaker thing? Jakob wasn't gone for that long if you count his time as fake Dr. Cube. Otherwise, it was just a little over a year.

Also pretty sure he was the Polar Baron from Wrestling is Fun, meaning they at least gave him something to do during that time.

No he had a hair vs hair match against Eddie Kingston like two years ago at Wrestlefactory

Or it wasn't a hair vs hair match and Eddie just beat and shaved him for giggles

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Gavok posted:

Ah, right. Yeah, Cagematch just has it as Eddie getting DQ'd and just plain murdering Jakob.

Yeah, it was crazy uncomfortable live because it was violent to a level that was way beyond the rest of the card.

I have to admit I was never a big fan of Eddie in Chikara. I think he's a fantastic talent, but his stiff style and no frills gimmick always felt like screeching brakes for the card.

Its like

Wow, we just saw two ants wrestle men dressed like ice cream

our main event is a disney princess versus an evil sentai warlock

but up next a very angry man is going to elbow some dude in the face until he stops moving

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

JFDC is a genius at heel heat but half of his heat comes from being a weak coward. A dominant year plus title run kills off that element of his character.

I will always recall fondly the time he couldn't get a word of his promo out because everyone kept booing him, so eventually he cut the promo from behind the curtain with only the flag sticking out

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Wazzu posted:

WWE stealing Chikara booking with Brock retaining when it makes no sense. No real storyline reason for him to still be champion, is there?

I am beginning to suspect JFDC is a secret money mark and is holding up Chikara financially in exchange for the title

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

coconono posted:

Barksdale isn't a dog, got it.

If I was a dog, I'd run from wrestling rings too. Very scary sounding!

yeah honestly I feel bad for the dog because he always seems really freaked out when they bring him out

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z51FH9Y8sZc

totally popped

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Fire Ant?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I cannot tell if this is positive or negative

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Gavok posted:

There's a video up of Dasher Hatfield with his son (also in a baseball mask) who is about to turn 18. Apparently his birthday present will be the two of them doing a tag match at some point in the near future.

either dasher knocked up a girl at 13 or he ages like a god

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Whats up with Whisper? Just realized I havent heard from him for awhile

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Chikara was at a high point for me before the weird rear end closing angle and I don't think they ever completely recovered

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I am still not entirely convinced Ashes wasnt an attempt to retcon Chikara legitimately going out of business

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Chris James 2 posted:

Same here. Right when I finally tried to get back into it is when the current Juan Francisco never-ending reign started and I got kinda cold on it again

Yeah I really like JFDC but his reign has been really rough

I also think the revolving door of the current roster is really alienating. I get that they are returning to Chikara being a "showcase" for the wrestling school like the very beginning , but it feels like they end up showing off a lot of guys who aren't really serious or dedicated and leave after only a few matches

Oh god it just occurred to me JFDC is the male Carmella

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Glad there's a new champ, although I still think Ophidian should have gotten the nod. The dude lives and breathes that company.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I feel a bit bad for JFDC because he is a great talent and its not his fault his run was so bad

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Gavok posted:

Interestingly enough, it looks like Chikara quietly removed Teddy Hart from the Rey de Voladores tournament and he's no longer on the card. Sounds good to me!

I am surprised he was on it in the first place

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

if it were ophidian and his wife those masks would not be photoshopped on

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Which would be bad enough except he has really serious back problems to the point that he needs a cane to walk

I thought the cane was a work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

reality_groove posted:

Any recommendations from those? A few Chikaras would be good Christmas viewing.

Usually the King of Trios is the best bet