Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

Gavok posted:

Here are the four matches announced so far for the debut show, which will happen a few hours before Royal Rumble:

- Juan Francisco de Coronado defending the Grand Championship against Hype Rockwell

Since I was excited that the season was ending with JFdC facing Dasher (pretty much the most over face still left on the roster) and it made all the sense in the world to put the belt on him, I expect since I absolutely hate NRG that Hype Rockwell is going to win this. Because nothing can save a company like giving the title belt to a guy whose character is "one half of a reference to a jobber tag team from twenty years ago". For that matter, NRG always came off to me as a poor, poor, poor man's version of 2.0/3.0.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

Alastor_the_Stylish posted:

Um, they were a direct ripoff of High Energy, Koko B. Ware and Owen Hart. 2.0 had nothing to do with it.

syzpid posted:

character is "one half of a reference to a jobber tag team from twenty years ago".

I was a big fan of High Energy as a kid, and it was nice to see it referenced, maybe for the first month or two? But the team first showed up at the end of 2014. I was saying on top of being based on High Energy, they also felt like a poor man's version of 2.0. I mean the energy drink was a running bit for what felt like a whole season. Ironically enough 2.0 had their issues with Chikara (and personal issues) which caused them to mostly drop out of Chikara at the end of 2014.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

Gavok posted:

Tomorrow is National Pro Wrestling Day, which I probably won't be able to watch because I'm in the middle of a move. This year they're raising money for Puerto Rico. Matches are as follows:

- Juan Francisco defending the Grand Championship against Oleg the Usurper. At the last show, JFDC retained against Hype Rockwell while Oleg finished off his long-running angle with Kobald while gaining his third point.

Mr Bones Wild Ride never ends.

Also JFDC will be champion forever. We can't escape.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

Reminds me of Dr Steel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCE7hOgXVEM

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

DM Punk posted:

That Mr Touchdownn vs David Starr match was REALLY good. I don't know why Mr TD isn't getting booked all over, cause he is so good.

I think TD just does it as a hobby, almost all of his matches outside of Chikara he's either teaming with Dasher or just working with other Chikara regulars.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

KungFu Grip posted:

I guess the last KOT team is Dasher, Boomer, and Mr Touchdown

I feel like Dasher has had a really weird King of Trios career. Here's his teams

2017: TD & Simon Grimm
2016: Mustache Mountain
2015: TD & Icarus
2014: TD & Icarus
2012: TD & Colt
2011: Sugar Dunkerton & Colt
2010: Sugar & Colt

And how they've done.

2017: 2nd round to House Strong Style (Beat House Attack)
2016: 2nd round to HeXed Men (beat The Batiri)
2015: 1st round to Battleborn (Kevin Condron, Lucas Calhoun & Missile Assault)
2014: Finals to Dev Corp (beat LAX, Spirit Squad and The Flood)
2012: 1st Round to JWP
2011: 1st Round to Osaka Pro
2010: 1st Round to FIST

Personally I always liked the Dunkerton version of the Throwbacks. I'm really sad we never got to see Dasher, TD & Dunkerton as a trios. Also sad that the whole Sugar Dunkerton thing ended up being one of those eternal loose strings from the company.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

BetterWeirdthanDead posted:

Dunkerton still wrestles as Dunkerton, so is him not wrestling with Chikara another weird thing with Quack?

I believe he got the "I have nothing for you" treatment from Quack after the whole storyline with FIST played out. But it was also at the time Quack stopped having a lot of the out of towners come in, so that was probably part of it too.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014
It would actually be interesting if Touchdown wins the title, Shenanigans happen at Trios between TD and Dasher, leading to a TD/Dasher match for the grand championship.

That being said, we're probably stuck with JFDC as Grand Champion till the end of the year. Can't wait for Dasher to win the title and then lose it to someone after 3 months as the payoff to JFDC's eternal run.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014
I don't think I've ever been so happy to be wrong.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

DM Punk posted:

Dasher is the interim-Grand Champion until Mr Touchdown gets back. So, I guess his injury was legit.

I think it's just a good way for them to setup face vs face championship match between them at the end of the year.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014
I hated NRG with a passion, but I've come around on Race because him and his stable at least seems interesting. I've hated Hype Rockwell just floating around and being a jobber to the stars even more then his time as a part of NRG. Hype's had 12 matches this year and only has a win over a jobber and in a trios match against Blank's stable. The last time Hype has won a match (not counting a 1 minute DQ, Jobber or Blank/Race) was Aniversario in 2015 which was a 4 way that also had Los Ice Creams, The Batiri and The Colony.

He's had a total of 51 matches, is arguably part of the worst tag team to hold the titles, and rarely wins anyway. During a relatively long losing streak he's also gotten a 17 minute match with the grand championship on the line.

I had to check, and Sugar Dunkerton had a total of 52 matches for his run in Chikara. Dunkerton was also a lot better at actually connecting with the crowd, wasn't a black hole of charisma and actually had entertaining matches. It feels ridiculous that Dunkerton's not coming back at all because of whatever disagreements (I've also heard that Quack basically said he had nothing for him to do) but Rockwell just keeps coming back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Sugar also lives in the UK now, I think?

Looks like he spent a few months in the UK this year, even so he's done matches in Quebec, NJ, NY, Indiana, Illonis, along with a lot of matches geographically closer to him in the southeast. He also hasn't wrestled for Chikara since 2013, so there's a lot of empty space in between.

I realize most likely it's because of money and they couldn't afford to have him travel up here.